Zach Benson's NHL tryout, 2023

LGR4GM

Can’t blame the losses on 
Zack he’s been good to great considering his age etc but Right now 
I’d rather be 2-0. Not to be captain obvious but others need to step up. Granado should shuffle the deck to try and get a spark. Try the kid up top for a few shifts. At this point what can it hurt. We’re already bottom looking up.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, LTS said:

If he can play 3rd line minutes and make that line productive he has to stay.  The top line needs to figure it out and as others have said... 71 needs to go.

At this point I am a huge fan of a 71, 10, 1 package that brings back a defender.  Put Krebs with 77 and 24 and let Jost take 4th line.

It's clear Olofsson cannot play the Sabres game.  Jokiharju is just too clueless out there... and UPL.. well.. anything to get a better player back is fine by me. 3 goalies cannot be the game all season.

So find a team to take our 3 weakest players for a solid NHL defenseman and make sure that player does not have no trade clause too?  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Can someone explain to me in detail, but simply, what xGf% is supposed to mean, AND how it is calcuated?

if you want more detail than this you’ll need to find someone much smarter 

Edited by Thorny

29 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Can someone explain to me in detail, but simply, what xGf% is supposed to mean, AND how it is calcuated?

Picture Jokiharju lobbing a wrist shot from the point. then picture Kucherov one-timing the puck from the faceoff dot on a cross-crease pass. Those two shots on goal are not equal. In fact, because the NHL tracks shot locations and has for a long time, you can fairly say that "wrist shots from that spot have a shooting percentage of 0.9% over the last 20 years." Obviously the circumstances of the shots vary from that sample, but it's a big sample, even though who is taking it matters, the degree the goalie is screened matters, and the goalie himself matters. For every point on the ice you can say "historically, NHL shooters score x% of the time from this spot with this shot type" and it lines up with intuition - the slot is dangerous, one-timers are dangerous, back-foot wristers from the point are not dangerous, shots from the low wall/corner are not dangerous etc. 

xGF just adds your shots up from the game but weights each shot by this percentage/how "good" the shot is. So your xGF goes up more if you take 10 shots from the slot than if you take 10 point shots. Now, the whole number at the end of the game doesn't really mean anything - an xGF of 3.8 doesn't mean "you should have scored 3.8 goals" but if you have an xGF of 3.8 and your opponent had 1.9, and you do that every night, you are more dangerous than them and should win more games. When you start tracking it up to 30-40 games it begins to correlate with a team's record more than most other individual stats do on their own. 

Ultimately, it means "are you generating or giving up a lot of dangerous shots?"

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

What is this? 

It represents my overwhelming despair at the direness of our circumstances

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

On one hand he doesn’t like prospects on the other he sees that Benson has been as good as anyone.  

Not to mention that the cozens line has been awful by inserting a 28 year old vet into the spot of a 21 year old.    But no , adding in savoie, Rosen or Kulich can’t possibly be a solution 

17 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not to mention that the cozens line has been awful by inserting a 28 year old vet into the spot of a 21 year old.    But no , adding in savoie, Rosen or Kulich can’t possibly be a solution 

Why not?    Adams had an entire off-season to add forwards and he didn't make a move other than retaining what he had.   If Savoie, or any player in Rochester comes in and makes that line better than that is who you play.  It is very possible that one of the prospects in Rochester steps up by mid season, and it happens every year across the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Why not?    Adams had an entire off-season to add forwards and he didn't make a move other than retaining what he had.   If Savoie, or any player in Rochester comes in and makes that line better than that is who you play.  It is very possible that one of the prospects in Rochester steps up by mid season, and it happens every year across the league. 

Yep. If a young guy is the best option, he should play. Granato has to do the best he can with the options Adams left to him 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I honestly don’t really want to talk about anyone individual achievements when the team looks like ball sack.  

Then don’t?  If you need a break from the team, take one.  You don’t have to come on a message board to tell us that you don’t want to talk about something.  Just don’t do it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

It represents my overwhelming despair at the direness of our circumstances

Don't despair after 2 games.  Give it time,  lets see were we are at the Holidays.   

You even said after the first game that some people here were over reacting, don't join them.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Sorry, I was being sarcastic.  I do believe that one of the players I mentioned could be the solution 

im open for trade or promotion.  What we do know is that Olofsson isn’t the answer 

7 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Expected goals is a figure that is calculated based on past shots from different areas of the ice  and how likely they are expected to be a goal. There are many different models outs there that predict xGs, with different formulas (such as adding weight to shots off a rebound differently, or factoring in passing data).

xGF% is the percentage of total xGs while a player is on the ice. So with Benson’s 67%, he has been playing at a level that when the Sabres on the ice, the Sabres are expected to get 2/3 of the goals scored. Oloffson however, is an atrocious 29% xGF, showing how bad the Sabres have been with him on the ice. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.