Come on Granato!!

SabreSam

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

But I think both tactically, and emotionally, this team needs to get a fire lit under them by somebody.

Was surprised Granato didn’t put much weight on winning the last few preseason games to build momentum for the opener… given the fan and player expectations this year, RJ Night, and a key division opponent…

Granato is a proven development coach based on his history… He is cerebral, articulate, calm, and likeable… Much like Cooper or even Ruff… Unlike those two, have yet to hear or see Granato get angry with a lack of effort…

He could have and might have been angry behind closed doors at a few vets who mailed it in the last couple preseason games… 

He didn’t seem that upset about losing in his postgame remarks last night… Perhaps he believes most of the failure was coaching…

Expecting to see some veteran sparks and better energy tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Welcome !!

Have you been a Sabre fan for a long time?

This is often how they start out.

The Sabres will be fine.

Enjoy the season.

Who owns the NHL record of 12 seasons in a row without a playoff appearance (by FIVE seasons), and 16 consecutive seasons without a playoff series win?

They will NOT be fine. This is not normal AT ALL. Every season I hope they will turn it around, and every season they do virtually the same thing. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, EasternOHSabresFan said:

Who owns the NHL record of 12 seasons in a row without a playoff appearance (by FIVE seasons), and 16 consecutive seasons without a playoff series win?

They will NOT be fine. This is not normal AT ALL. Every season I hope they will turn it around, and every season they do virtually the same thing. 

You ain't kidding.  The Sabres should come out every game and play with their hair on fire.  They should be more desperate than any team they play.  Instead they look like a preseason scrimmage, gliding around doing nothing.  The Rangers blocked a lot of shots?  Yes, that's because the Rangers were trying harder than Buffalo.. which should never have happened.

I like Granato but if they have another losing home record, he should be fired.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Welcome Sam.

Everyone take a deep breath.  Now breathe in and out, in and out.  

Ok? It’s just game one against one of the best teams in the NHL with one of the best goalies in the league.

Yes we weren’t ready and we aren’t going to surprise anyone this season.  Yes DG and his staff don’t seem to have the defense ready the last 3 games (including the last 2 preseason games) and Levi hasn’t looked good.  It’s our worst fears realized.  

There is just too much talent on this team for this type of play to continue.  Also all the players on this team have seen and played against a 1-3-1 and should know what to do.  It’s like breaking the press in Basketball.  It’s not easy but there are ways to do it and it’s something they should know  without being told.  

Before we start driving ourselves nuts, let’s at least wait until 10 games in before burning down the house.  Let’s not be like the fans in the Dr Pepper commercial.  

Correct, but if there is too much talent, then it does in fact fall on the coaching/system does it not? 10 games is fair. I said the same thing in the game thread, but if it's the same at that point, coaching does become the issue.

Obviously, one has to look at Eichel. Virtually no defensive play here on a team with no defense. Goes to Vegas and everyone predicts he will fight with Cassidy but no, he becomes a complete two way player and wins the cup. Ponder that and ask yourself why? I do not have the answer, but there does seem to be something wrong with the entire franchise and it's philosophy here. It was never like this before Pegula. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, zow2 said:

You ain't kidding.  The Sabres should come out every game and play with their hair on fire.  They should be more desperate than any team they play.  Instead they look like a preseason scrimmage, gliding around doing nothing.  The Rangers blocked a lot of shots?  Yes, that's because the Rangers were trying harder than Buffalo.. which should never have happened.

I like Granato but if they have another losing home record, he should be fired.

I am deeply wounded by the way this team has been mismanaged for so many years... all the joy I once felt has been stripped away. I'm just tired of hearing the same things over and over again as the Sabres bottom out like a terrible roller coaster to nowhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Correct, but if there is too much talent, then it does in fact fall on the coaching/system does it not? 10 games is fair. I said the same thing in the game thread, but if it's the same at that point, coaching does become the issue.

Obviously, one has to look at Eichel. Virtually no defensive play here on a team with no defense. Goes to Vegas and everyone predicts he will fight with Cassidy but no, he becomes a complete two way player and wins the cup. Ponder that and ask yourself why? I do not have the answer, but there does seem to be something wrong with the entire franchise and it's philosophy here. It was never like this before Pegula. 

The DG system is equivalent to a basketball fast break system.  Get the puck up ice as fast as possible. Everyone needs to be able to skate and turn on a dime.  It’s great in philosophy and it’s fun to watch when it works.  However the downside is tons of chances against, especially when the team can’t get the puck out quickly.  

17 hours ago, SabreSam said:

He didn’t have the team ready to play against the 1-3-1.  Why do we seem to always start slow.  

Rangers have a new coach and a new system. They didn't play the 1-3-1 last year, at least not very well. They look much better this year.

Looking forward to see what DG comes up with in their next meeting.

37 minutes ago, EasternOHSabresFan said:

I am deeply wounded by the way this team has been mismanaged for so many years... all the joy I once felt has been stripped away. I'm just tired of hearing the same things over and over again as the Sabres bottom out like a terrible roller coaster to nowhere.

That's why god brought us alcohol 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, EasternOHSabresFan said:

World Cup Lol GIF

6 minutes ago, EasternOHSabresFan said:

This has nothing to do with hockey... grow up. The last great memory I have of my father before he died was going to a Sabres game... you don't know me or what I am feeling.

This is a hockey forum and you posted on it. So, it has everything to do with hockey.

I don't know you, but you posted on here with absolutely no background information during a period of time where the vast majority of posters fall into the category the GIF insinuates. I apologize for insulting you and your father's memory.

Finally, I hope the the last great memory of your father is not the only great memory of your father and if the Sabres are tarnishing those memories then perhaps it would be helpful to eliminate them from your life so you can focus on the the other great memories.

If a sport team’s losing record affects you emotional, physiologically, and physically THAT profoundly, THAT deeply, THAT drastically …. Stop following that team or even that sport. I know I would. 

Am I bummed when the Sabres lose? Yes. For about 10 mins or so. I have much much much bigger things to stress over than a game.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

If you are constantly dropping points on home ice it strongly suggests that the coaching staff has something to answer for.

It's probably more to do with the immaturity of the team bc of how young they are then anything else.

You think losing on home ice has to do with coaching?

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The DG system is equivalent to a basketball fast break system.  Get the puck up ice as fast as possible. Everyone needs to be able to skate and turn on a dime.  It’s great in philosophy and it’s fun to watch when it works.  However the downside is tons of chances against, especially when the team can’t get the puck out quickly.  

Exactly, it's all about the quick outlet pass and quick transition. I get that, but it doesn't work well against that choked off middle of the ice or what some refer to as the 1-3-1 and it doesn't work against a strong aggressive forecheck unless you move it out SO FAST you beat the forecheck and they are chasing. This only happens with crap teams that aren't good at it. 

So what I'm saying is that it isn't a defensive system at all. It's a system that believes if you move it out fast enough and then possess it, you don't need defense, and that philosophy is inherently flawed. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Exactly, it's all about the quick outlet pass and quick transition. I get that, but it doesn't work well against that choked off middle of the ice or what some refer to as the 1-3-1 and it doesn't work against a strong aggressive forecheck unless you move it out SO FAST you beat the forecheck and they are chasing. This only happens with crap teams that aren't good at it. 

So what I'm saying is that it isn't a defensive system at all. It's a system that believes if you move it out fast enough and then possess it, you don't need defense, and that philosophy is inherently flawed. 

So is the fast break.  We saw late last year that they can play defense when needed.  They just have to commit to it, even in DG’s system.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So is the fast break.  We saw late last year that they can play defense when needed.  They just have to commit to it, even in DG’s system.

So why has the coaching staff not got them to commit to defense this preseason and thus have them ready for the season? The rhetoric was offense is harder so teach that first, but now it's supposed to be go time and push for the playoffs so where's the second part, the D system? Are we instead still teaching offense? Is the playoff rhetoric false? Is it just another development year for them but they don't want to say?  It just feels wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is it just another development year for them but they don't want to say?

KA is on the record this is the year we break the playoff drought… 

Season opener was just jits, imo… 

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is the first opener under Granato we lost. Our October record wit Don as coach before last night was 11-5. Starting slow was never the issue. It was starting hot then fading.

That doesn't fit the narrative I want to be true so I can complain. Please refrain from pointing out such things in the future. It's rude. 

• Haha (+1) 3

18 hours ago, EasternOHSabresFan said:

This has nothing to do with hockey... grow up. The last great memory I have of my father before he died was going to a Sabres game... you don't know me or what I am feeling.

Get used to it around here, the Hyper Positive Pete's are happily ready to lecture you and gaslight you when you are not happy with their performance. This franchise has been lousy for most of its existence and is on a record run of futility and many of us older guys have endured this a lot longer than others. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Get used to it around here, the Hyper Positive Pete's are happily ready to lecture you and gaslight you when you are not happy with their performance. This franchise has been lousy for most of its existence and is on a record run of futility and many of us older guys have endured this a lot longer than others. 

You almost had me. The franchise had been good to very good for most of its existence and could own multiple Cups. That all changed on one fateful day.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.