Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

32 minutes ago, French Collection said:

They need to have a sense of urgency to get at least a point, even in October.

A couple of those points and they are in the thick of this, as unlikely as it seems for a .500 team.

Frankly we have a better chance of falling below Ottawa than making it 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

So much for the emergence of Buffalo, Ottawa and probably Detroit.

The commonality here imo is that all 3 teams lack good coaching. Ottawa basically doesn't have a coach, ours is a college level guy and (although I know less about their details) Detroit's hasn't got them playing a good system either. Three up and coming rosters filled with top picks all failed because of the coaching. Vancouver on the other hand transitions into the next level because of good coaching. Philly and Nashville overachieve due to good coaching. There are other factors, but that's the biggest one imo. 

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Philly playing like they are intentionally trying to NOT make the playoffs. 

Well Sabres cast off Erik Johnson is getting a regular shift on the team so you could argue they are doing just that. 

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Well Sabres cast off Erik Johnson is getting a regular shift on the team so you could argue they are doing just that. 

In fairness they traded away Walker and Seeler is hurt as well as old injuries for Risto and Drysdale. They were getting pretty thin back there so I think EJ is just a stop gap filler for the moment. 

They are trying to do a tricky balancing act between now and future with that Walker trade. He was really good for them this year. 

I'm curious to see this 6'8" Russian goalie they got though. Guy is huge. 

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Torts not a happy man. We are their next game. If they respond to this we are in for a war. If they've turned on Torts it'll be an easy win. EJ is horrible, but that new goalie is pretty good.

Torts definitely calls it like he sees it. I respect that even though today’s players are mostly too mentally weak to handle such criticism. I wish meatball head had 1/100th of this passion and honesty. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Billznut said:

Torts definitely calls it like he sees it. I respect that even though today’s players are mostly too mentally weak to handle such criticism. I wish meatball head had 1/100th of this passion and honesty. 

The other thought I had about this is if he thinks the Flyers were soft, what would he consider the Sabres???

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Alex Nylander scored 2 more last night..

Now with 10 goals in 17 games since traded to Columbus (48 goal pace over 82 games)

Another ex-Sabre who goes on to play well?  The guy had numerous chances with various teams and really good players and did nothing. Now with of all teams Columbus he is suddenly the sniper that he suppose to be with the Sabres? Strange...

Amazed how the Leafs keep outscoring other teams while getting really good goaltending from yes three goalies and with a awful defense and a coach that is so similar to Meatballs. No system...just go out and outscore the other team. They look like the Sabres did towards the end of last season. At least they are exciting to watch, as the Sabres were last year (not this year...dull, boring and uninterested most games it seems) 

Edited by sabrefanday1

24 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Not exactly sure what this means??? Th eguy had numerous chances with variou steams and reall ygo dplayers and did nothing. Now with of all teams Columbus he is suddenly the sniper that he suppose to be with the Sabres? Strange...

Amazed how the Leafs keep outscoring other teams while getting really good goaltending from yes three goalies and with a awful deense and a coach that is so similar to Meatballs. No system...just go out and outscore the other team. They look like the Sabres did towards the end of last season. At least they are exciting to watch, as the Sbres were last year (not this year...dull, boring and unintetrested most games it seems) 

If we all chipped in and bought you a new keyboard, would you use it?  😉

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Not exactly sure what this means??? Th eguy had numerous chances with variou steams and reall ygo dplayers and did nothing. Now with of all teams Columbus he is suddenly the sniper that he suppose to be with the Sabres? Strange...

Amazed how the Leafs keep outscoring other teams while getting really good goaltending from yes three goalies and with a awful deense and a coach that is so similar to Meatballs. No system...just go out and outscore the other team. They look like the Sabres did towards the end of last season. At least they are exciting to watch, as the Sbres were last year (not this year...dull, boring and unintetrested most games it seems) 

Not sure what it means? It just means a player that used to be in the Sabres organization is currently on a very hot run, and maybe has turned the corner into a legit NHL scorer.  

Many people on this board LIKE to keep track of former members of this team, so I"m not sure why you are questioning what it means be me posting it?

2 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Nah, neither things are real. Nylander could always shoot and skate, he just doesn't compete. He's just having a run on a loose open nothing to lose team. It'll crash again. He's of no consequence.

As for the Leafs, wait for the playoffs. That D will crumble. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Penguinos not going down without a fight. 

Crosby a legend. Weren't the Sabres close to getting him through the lottery? As in they did have high chances that year? 

It would have been nice to get a generational forward with our number 1 picks in any of these past years. Sigh 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TageMVP said:

Crosby a legend. Weren't the Sabres close to getting him through the lottery? As in they did have high chances that year? 

It would have been nice to get a generational forward with our number 1 picks in any of these past years. Sigh 

Well we maybe should have been but as it turned out we were not "close" at all. I think it was the first year for a lottery and also the first year some people claimed it was "fixed". Crosby after Lemieux just didn't seem fair. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TageMVP said:

Sabres had same lottery chances as P burgh that year.  I think there may have been a 3rd team as well, but not sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TageMVP said:

At what point does he realize that Malkin and Letang haven’t kept up? He’s put that team on his back in the last few games.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Sabres had same lottery chances as P burgh that year.  I think there may have been a 3rd team as well, but not sure.

Jackets and Rangers, along with us and Pittsburgh, all had a 6.3% chance at #1. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/17/2024 at 7:31 PM, Thorny said:

One thing you can’t do is look past Sidney Crosby and his leadership and ability. That’s the only team that actually is individually scary imo. There’s a Rushmore talent on that squad who rounds out his all around game for every point that erodes away with age. 

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Penguinos not going down without a fight. 

- - - 

14 hours ago, TageMVP said:

I think about missing out on Sid way way more than McDavid. 

We’d have titles. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well we maybe should have been but as it turned out we were not "close" at all. I think it was the first year for a lottery and also the first year some people claimed it was "fixed". Crosby after Lemieux just didn't seem fair. 

I think we mathematically had a pretty good shot 

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

At what point does he realize that Malkin and Letang haven’t kept up? He’s put that team on his back in the last few games.

How many of those 19 were in a row, you ask? 

All of them. He’s never not been point a game