New Defense Pairings 10/9

Brawndo

17 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Man, I really wish we would have brought in Toffoli. We could have put him in for Oloffson, and our forward group is set for the regular season. Then we wouldn’t be relying on Quinn being back to 100%/progressing until the playoffs. 

Yeah, I think that spot was being held for Patrick Kane, unless Benson (or even Olofsson) makes him redundant.

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

And there was much rejoicing!

When Clifton gets acclimated, sure move him up to (preferably) Power's pairing or even Dahlin's.  But while that's happening, he CAN'T be on the top pairing.  Glad Don Granato saw that.  Expected he would and did, but it is nice to know it officially.

54 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Man, I really wish we would have brought in Toffoli. We could have put him in for Oloffson, and our forward group is set for the regular season. Then we wouldn’t be relying on Quinn being back to 100%/progressing until the playoffs. 

I think buffalo is saving a spot for matthew savoie imo .

I wouldn't be surprised if both Savoie and  Benson stay the year and Just rotate them out 

My anxiety for the reason has been reduced by half. Power-Joki is still a pairing sharing weaknesses. Honestly thought Stillman did fine there. Clifton in low minutes and paired with someone responsible at least has a chance. 

Forward lines make sense. With Oloffson’s spot being Savoies to take and Quinn’s to reclaim later on. 

Edited by triumph_communes

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I do.  He had a pretty good two-way game going before he was injured.  When he returned it took a long time to get his shot back, plus he wasn't playing the full 200 foot game anymore.  If it was the lingering effects of the injury then possibly he'll look better this season with a fresh start.

A fully healthy Mitts and a fully healthy VO might work, especially if VO actually backchecks a bit.

It was brief but this is true. While we were awaiting the Eichel trade, Olofsson started the season playing great, at least 150ft hockey, and was making impressive plays scoring and playmaking. Who centered that line with VO and Asplund?

Then he got hurt and looked wimpy but seemed far more conscious of his positioning while unable to shoot. While injured he should have sat on IR but he played through it since it was a contract year. By the late season when he had recovered his shot returned but he lost all semblance of balance to his game and commonly bailed on pucks along the wall.

When he plays with some passion, you can easily see him look better since he actually works down low in the grimy areas. When he’s purely a perimeter player, which he tends to be nowadays, he’s borderline useless as he just hangs around hoping the puck comes his way for a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Any line with VO is a buzz kill but it’s not like there are many choices. Unless Benson takes his spot on the second line. That would put VO back with Mitts and that is a hard hell no. I’m already looking forward to Quinn’s return.

You can hope that Savoie takes his spot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.