OT: Attempting my first water cooled HYTE Y60 Mid Tower desktop build, any advice greatly appreciated.

Scottysabres

On 10/1/2023 at 12:38 PM, Scottysabres said:

2k for the 4090. It was the 1 item I walked away from as an immediate purchase. Newest latest and greatest, short supply. I won't have the system completely built until November, so I can bank up for it. It's my 1st desktop unit in 12 maybe 13 years or so, but, I bend tubing/conduit for a living, so I said to hell with it, why not.

On a side note, I will probably upgrade to the 2 x 49" curved screens. Once I started poking around, these combat flight simulation gaming package MMO arenas gave me a devilish grin. I may be the guy that gets shot down a lot, but I'll have a lot of fun in these winter months, especially some of these ww2 style simulators 😀

I dont like curved screens because of weird depth perception... some people like them... all in the preference I guess.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Then your the person I need to chat with it appears. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. I have a bunch of parts already as you saw by the pic above. I'm waiting on a few components yet, including the HYTE Y60 case.

But as I read more and more, I've found you can really do quite a bit. I'm not sure if the mother board I chose or going with the intel 13900 as opposed to AMD was the right call. I was going off of what I learned online as well as speaking with the tech guys at best buy. There seems to be a heavily entrenched crowd on both sides of the aisle.

There is no doubt I'm going 4090, the questions I have are on the water cooling aspect. I'm really not a fan of replacing the Y60's glass with water system mods, but I would like the little angle piece of glass HUD.

As for the cooling system itself, I got 3 x 120mm and 2 x 140mm fans, the bending of tubing doesn't bother me, I have the Corsair bender kit and both 12 as well as 14 mm inbound now, along with the corsair blue dye. It's the radiator sizing I'm still trying to figure out.

I saw a system with 2 independent cooling systems, 1 for the cpu, 1 for the gbu, ya, I think I'm hooked on mod'ing 😆 

Yes you got in the weeds.... When we built my sons in 2022 AMD was the fastest... now intel has caught back up... AMD motherboards and chips have a rep of being more stable but Intel can often be more dynamic... I find microcenter has really good write ups on both in terms of specs... also cnet has some good reviews of latest components... high end vid cards for gaming tend to be really important and refresh rates for monitors are as well 133hz or higher.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

Finally using 64G of RAM or more helps a lot especially if running games and programs that require their use otherwise your pcu will swap space off your hard drive slowing everything down.  Datamem.com is a good place to order RAM and solid state drives.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Finally using 64G of RAM or more helps a lot especially if running games and programs that require their use otherwise your pcu will swap space off your hard drive slowing everything down.  Datamem.com is a good place to order RAM and solid state drives.

I picked up 4 x 16G of ram.

• Like (+1) 1

Listen. I have sources. Last night this thing got away from Scotty. Time is short. That's why the guvment has been planning this national emergency alert "test." They knew it would go south. Anyone who can get to Limestone NY by 10 a.m., I have a plan. Somerset PA is the highest point in PA. I can comfortably fit 11 in my Vibe. PM me. God help us all. I love you, Geraldine.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Listen. I have sources. Last night this thing got away from Scotty. Time is short. That's why the guvment has been planning this national emergency alert "test." They knew it would go south. Anyone who can get to Limestone NY by 10 a.m., I have a plan. Somerset PA is the highest point in PA. I can comfortably fit 11 in my Vibe. PM me. God help us all. I love you, Geraldine.

Well, last night was to late, but you hit the mark on it getting away from me 😆. I binge watched many build your own PC videos. The more I watched, the sub videos with specifics I went down the rabbit hole in. Build your own PC is a whole new heaven, or hell?

Let me sum it up this way, In 7 days I went from "I need a new PC, my 12 yr old machine is dated, to "honey, the spare bedroom is my domain now, I've moved all of the furniture to the basement, oh, and I just dropped 8k on a new PC gaming system and furniture, your out of control loving husband.....see you in May when the weather clears" 🤣 

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:51 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

My first computer, an Atari 800XL had 64kB. No rads, no pumps.

Mine was an Apple IIe with the monochrome monitor and the giant floppy disk with no hard drive...I thought it was the coolest thing of all time when my parents bought me a little converter box that I hooked up from the computer to the TV that displayed it in color instead of on the monochrome monitor...

Then I was so bummed out when I went to my friends house and he had a Commodore 64 with a color monitor and all the cool games the Apple IIe never had.

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

The cpu chip has arrived along with the ram. To delid or not to delid, that is the question. Pondering the risk to reward ratio.....

I know little about the process, but you probably want to test if the chip is functional before you take that next step. It's a tiny risk, but let's assume the worst case scenario and you get a chip that's dead on arrival. If you tried it in your rig first, then just return it and get a fresh one and try again. If you delid first and it's bad, you're out of luck and aren't sure if it was a bad chip or bad delid, but it doesn't matter because the warranty's gone, so you buy a new one.

I wouldn't delid but again, I'm a coward and would be so blown away by your machine that I probably wouldn't notice the small jump in performance. You can always* delid later if you want to squeeze that last bit of juice from the fruit. That said, it's your big build and if you're looking for someone to say go for it,

*maybe. Is it a pain in the neck to get at the chip if you've got your custom water cooling setup?

1 minute ago, .55. said:

I know little about the process, but you probably want to test if the chip is functional before you take that next step. It's a tiny risk, but let's assume the worst case scenario and you get a chip that's dead on arrival. If you tried it in your rig first, then just return it and get a fresh one and try again. If you delid first and it's bad, you're out of luck and aren't sure if it was a bad chip or bad delid, but it doesn't matter because the warranty's gone, so you buy a new one.

I wouldn't delid but again, I'm a coward and would be so blown away by your machine that I probably wouldn't notice the small jump in performance. You can always* delid later if you want to squeeze that last bit of juice from the fruit. That said, it's your big build and if you're looking for someone to say go for it,

*maybe. Is it a pain in the neck to get at the chip if you've got your custom water cooling setup?

Good question. My first building my own system. So I'm going for it as far as tricked out. But you are correct, the more I read, and watch videos, the less I'm inclined to delid.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I have opened this thread multiple times.  Each time I ask myself, why?(not why did I open it, why does one need a water cooled computer…WTF that is)

😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Why you ask?

I don't rightly know. I only know it exists, therefor, it is. 🤣 

No fan noise.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

No fan noise.

That and the 4090 gbu cooling. I haven't started yet. My sister wants my 13 yr old nephew over tomorrow to learn how to do it. He's a big time gamer as most kids are. He just happens to have a "super-cool" uncle who also enjoys gaming 🤣 

I already posted about this, but I ended up with 2 HYTE Y60 cases, I have 4 extra 16G ram Stix, I wanted the white ones, they sent me black, I kept them. 2 full wire harness kits.

So basically, of his grades stay at 90 or above, my sis thanked me and wanted to surprise him tomorrow with not just a computer, but learning how to build it, Watchung videos on it, helping me and.....surprising him with the components here that would be his, if he maintains the pursuit of education. He's already an avid fisherman and he's bow hunting already. So the outdoorsman in him exists. A well rounded individual she feels will embrace technology beyond just using it, but understanding how it works. Hard to say she's wrong. And after all, he's a good kid, favorite sports team....the Buffalo Sabres.....courtesy of Uncle ScottySabres 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

So I took the "Hyte" stock black fan out, put in a corsair white LED. So the fans in the upper portion of the case are all exhaust fans, the 3 120mm on top with Radiator, the 2 140mm on the side wall with Radiator and the replacement single on the back of the case, exhaust fan. 

The air intake comes from under the perforated deck fans, there were 2 120mm, black "Hyte" stock fans. I took that black one I replaced and added it to the 2 on the bottom. That makes 3 120mm air intake fans, that will improve air flow and help keep Temps under control. Unfortunately, while 3 fans fit in there, the existing mounting bracket only accounts for 2, so to mod the situation I used a unique technique. I used beefy black zip ties to create a 3 fan bank, I am still looking at the options to anchor them, I will not send zip ties through the deck and I won't punch holes in the bottom hatch door as that has a filter screen on it. L

Good thing I'm a maintenance guy at a local plant, I think I can fab a thin metal bracket to get in there. We'll see.

20231105_162148.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:27 AM, Scottysabres said:

I had a choice between AMD and Intel. Some like the AMD, others like the Intel, I wasn't sure which route to go. I chose Intel, and I have 0 idea why lol

Here's the pic that I ran across that inspired me to try this:

shopping (1).jpeg

It's a flux capaciter am I right? 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.