Sabres Camp Questions & Answers

GASabresIUFAN

Here are the questions I think need to be answered in camp. Personally, I think most of the roster is set, but there are a few depth questions that need to be answered.  Please post your thoughts and add any other questions you feel need to be addressed in camp.

Goaltending questions:

1) Will they carry 3 goalies?

2) if not, who is the odd man out?

3) Will Levi be the primary starter? 

4) If UPL and Comrie struggle in camp, will KA make a trade?

Defence Questions

1) Who will be Power's D partner?

2) Will the Sabres carry 7 or 8 D?

3) Can Clague beat out Stillman or Bryson for an opening roster spot with the Sabres?

4) Will there be a reshuffling so that we end up with LHD-RHD on each pair, as opposed to 2 pairs with same-handed guys? (Courtesy of N Freeman)

Forward Questions

1) How will lines 2-4 shake out?  Where do Greenway, Mitts, Krebs and VO end up playing?

2) Will the Sabres carry 12 or 13 forwards?

3) Can any of the kids (Rousek, Kulich, Benson, Savoie or Rosen) earn a roster spot with the Sabres? And if so, who and in what role?

General questions

Biggest camp surprise?

Biggest camp disappointment?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

Nice list.

I'd add one D question:  will there be a reshuffling so that we end up with LHD-RHD on each pair, as opposed to 2 pairs with same-handed guys?

I've seen a few reputable Sabres writers (including I think the guys on Maintenance Day) speculate that it will look something like this:

Dahlin-Joki

Power-Cliffie

Mule-E Johnson

I kinda expect them to keep Dahlin with Mule, but I wouldn't be shocked either way.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here are the questions I think need to be answered in camp. Personally, I think most of the roster is set, but there are a few depth questions that need to be answered.  Please post your thoughts and add any other questions you feel need to be addressed in camp.

Goaltending questions:

No

Comrie

Yes

Yes. But I also think he’ll make a trade, regardless. There will be no 3-goalie rotation to start and Adams will do what’s best for the odd man out and move him.

5) Will there be a reshuffling so that we end up with LHD-RHD on each pair, as opposed to 2 pairs with same-handed guys? (Courtesy of N Freeman)

Yes, at least sometimes.

Defence Questions

I’ll say Clifton gets the first shot

Probably 8. This team does not want a repeat of last year. Bryson and Stillman are going to see lot of the press box

3) Can Clague beat out Stillman or Bryson for an opening roster spot with the Sabres?

No

Forward Questions

1) How will lines 2-4 shake out?  Where do Greenway, Mitts, Krebs and VO end up playing?

Krebs will be the 3C. I’d bet with Greenway and VO to start, but those two Mitts and Peterka are going to see a lot of mix-and-match this year.

3) Can any of the kids (Rousek, Kulich, Benson, Savoie or Rosen) earn a roster spot with the Sabres? And if so, who and in what role?

Rousek, as a versatile utility guy wherever needed, whenever someone gets banged up.

General questions

Biggest camp surprise?

Luukkonen

None of the kids forcing their way on to the final roster

And thanks for all the hockey talk today!

Finally starting to wake up around here.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Goaltending questions:

Defence Questions

4) Will there be a reshuffling so that we end up with LHD-RHD on each pair, as opposed to 2 pairs with same-handed guys? (Courtesy of N Freeman)

Forward Questions

General questions

Biggest camp surprise?

Goaltending:

1.  No

2. Comrie

3. Yes

4. No

Defense:

1.  Clifton

2. 8D

3. Bryson will probably beat Clague for 8

4. They will go with who works best regardless of handedness

Forwards: 

1.  Greenway - 3rd line if he gets in shape and plays hard, Mitts - 2nd line winger with Quinn out, Krebs - 3C with Mitts moved up, VO - probably 3rd line if he put it all together

2.  carry 13 forwards because Rochester has players that do not have to clear waivers

3.  Rousek - should be 13th forward with Quinn out, Kulich could be 13th forward or maybe higher, Benson to WHL, Savoie injured and then TBD, Rosen goes back to Rochester

Edited by Pimlach

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Nice list.

I'd add one D question:  will there be a reshuffling so that we end up with LHD-RHD on each pair, as opposed to 2 pairs with same-handed guys?

I've seen a few reputable Sabres writers (including I think the guys on Maintenance Day) speculate that it will look something like this:

Dahlin-Joki

Power-Cliffie

Mule-E Johnson

I kinda expect them to keep Dahlin with Mule, but I wouldn't be shocked either way.

No way is Joki moving up to top pairing and Samuelsson dropping to 3rd pair.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Goaltending - I doubt we’ll carry 3 goalies.  Tokarski was brought in to be the 3rd goalie.  Levi is the starter, UPL is the backup and Comrie gets traded.

Defense - We carry 8 with Stillman and Clague winning 7/8.  Bryson sent down as he has no trade value. Pairing not reliant on R/L combos.  Dahlin-Mule, Power-Clifton, Johnson/Joki.

Forwards - Rousek makes the team as the 13th forward, but Kulich really hard pushes for a job.  

Metsa is the big camp surprise.  He also outplays Bryson and gets an NHL deal once he is returned to Roch.  Joki and JJP also have great camps.

Biggest camp disappointment are UPL and Comrie as they continue to show they aren’t good enough.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Goaltending - I doubt we’ll carry 3 goalies.  Tokarski was brought in to be the 3rd goalie.  Levi is the starter, UPL is the backup and Comrie gets traded.

Defense - We carry 8 with Stillman and Clague winning 7/8.  Bryson sent down as he has no trade value. Pairing not reliant on R/L combos.  Dahlin-Mule, Power-Clifton, Johnson/Joki.

Forwards - Rousek makes the team as the 13th forward, but Kulich really hard pushes for a job.  

Metsa is the big camp surprise.  He also outplays Bryson and gets an NHL deal once he is returned to Roch.  Joki and JJP also have great camps.

Biggest camp disappointment are UPL and Comrie as they continue to show they aren’t good enough.

They can't possibly keep 3 goalies again.

I agree- Metsa is a interesting player. Captain of the NCAA champions. Really hope they get him signed.

1 minute ago, Two or less said:

They can't possibly keep 3 goalies again.

I agree- Metsa is a interesting player. Captain of the NCAA champions. Really hope they get him signed.

He is signed to an AHL deal.  The Sabres will have to re-sign to an NHL two-way deal for him to play for the Sabres at some point this season.

Goaltending questions:

1) Will they carry 3 goalies?  No.

2) if not, who is the odd man out?  UPL.

3) Will Levi be the primary starter?   Yes.

4) If UPL and Comrie struggle in camp, will KA make a trade?   No.

Defence Questions

1) Who will be Power's D partner?  Clifton to start the season, but it will be a fluid situation.

2) Will the Sabres carry 7 or 8 D?  8.

3) Can Clague beat out Stillman or Bryson for an opening roster spot with the Sabres?  No.

4) Will there be a reshuffling so that we end up with LHD-RHD on each pair, as opposed to 2 pairs with same-handed guys? (Courtesy of N Freeman)   Yes -- Dahlin-Joki, Power-Clifton, Mule-Johnson will be the pairings on opening night

Forward Questions

Mitts-Cozens-JJP

Greenway-Krebs-VO

Zemgus-Jost-KO

2) Will the Sabres carry 12 or 13 forwards?  13

3) Can any of the kids (Rousek, Kulich, Benson, Savoie or Rosen) earn a roster spot with the Sabres? And if so, who and in what role?  Rousek will make the team as the first depth forward.  The rest will return to junior/AHL

General questions

Biggest camp surprise?  Comrie beats out UPL for the #2 job, VO looks hungry and determined to start his contract year and the D pairs are reshuffled.

Biggest camp disappointment?  Kulich and Benson make it clear that while both are very promising, neither is ready for prime time.

After seeing the camp roster, I’m revising my opinion of the goaltending.  There are 7 goalies on the roster and only Ratzlaff is a prospect.  UPL will not clear waivers if cut.  Therefore the plan has to be Cooley and Houser in the ECHL, Tokar and Comrie in the A and UPL and Levi in Buffalo.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

After seeing the camp roster, I’m revising my opinion of the goaltending.  There are 7 goalies on the roster and only Ratzlaff is a prospect.  UPL will not clear waivers if cut.  Therefore the plan has to be Cooley and Houser in the ECHL, Tokar and Comrie in the A and UPL and Levi in Buffalo.

Adams has pretty clear track record of trying to find players other opportunities if they don’t fit into the Sabres plans.

Not being one of the 2 goalies come opening night for either UPL or Comrie means that player doesn’t fit into the Sabres plans.

I think the plan is one of those 2 gets a new home.

Everything falls into place quite smoothly after that.

Just now, dudacek said:

Adams has pretty clear track record of trying to find players other opportunities if they don’t fit into the Sabres plans.

Not being one of the 2 goalies come opening night for either UPL or Comrie means that player doesn’t fit into the Sabres plans.

I think the plan is one of those 2 gets a new home.

Everything falls into place quite smoothly after that.

Not really.  If we trade away UPL or Comrie without getting a goalie in return, the organization would be down to 5 goalies. That doesn’t work.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not really.  If we trade away UPL or Comrie without getting a goalie in return, the organization would be down to 5 goalies. That doesn’t work.

The backup in the ECHL is not, and really never has been, a matter of much concern for the Sabres.

How many NHL teams have 6 goalies under contract?

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

All - between NHL, AHL and ECHL contracts.

I don’t think that’s correct. I’m not sure many NHL teams own their ECHL team, or are responsible for stocking their entire roster. Players on AHL contracts are typically free agents for NHL purposes, and not the property of an NHL team.

Regardless, I’m talking NHL contracts. According to capfriendly, the Sabres have 5, which seems to be pretty normal.

Edited by dudacek

On 9/19/2023 at 12:38 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

He better… Sabres cannot afford to be very patient if both  UPL and Comrie struggle through year end. 

His Goalie Scouts are plugged in, no doubt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.