Babcock fired as Blue Jackets coach

inkman

Why was Babcock even hired? He was a known quantity. There was no secret how he operated. His old-school and autocratic method worked in the past era with a different generation of players. But that submissive world passed a long time ago. Columbus had a lot of young players that were developing. He certainly wasn't a match for that roster and situation. The hiring of him made no sense. 

KA has made a lot of transactions in his short stint. The most astute and impactful decision he made was hiring Granato to replace Krueger. And then hiring him as the permanent coach sealed the deal. At least for now, he is the right coach at the right time. Coaching matters!

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Why was Babcock even hired? He was a known quantity. There was no secret how he operated. His old-school and autocratic method worked in the past era with a different generation of players. But that submissive world passed a long time ago. Columbus had a lot of young players that were developing. He certainly wasn't a match for that roster and situation. The hiring of him made no sense. 

KA has made a lot of transactions in his short stint. The most astute and impactful decision he made was hiring Granato to replace Krueger. And then hiring him as the permanent coach sealed the deal. At least for now, he is the right coach at the right time. Coaching matters!

This is what I was wondering.  Babcock is known for playing veterans over developing youngsters.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Hell hath no fury like a Buffalo fan scorned.

He was smart enough to stay away from Pegulaville and used the situation to his advantage. Smart guy.

What?  If Columbus were a veteran team, the hire would have made sense.  For a young team, he is the wrong guy.  My evaluation has nothing to do with being a good capitalist pig (and I mean that as praise) and using the Sabres to play off of against the Leafs.

• Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Marvin said:

What?  If Columbus were a veteran team, the hire would have made sense.  For a young team, he is the wrong guy.  My evaluation has nothing to do with being a good capitalist pig (and I mean that as praise) and using the Sabres to play off of against the Leafs.

The conclusion that Babcock must be a pervert has nothing to do with his having scorned the Sabres?

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The conclusion that Babcock must be a pervert has nothing to do with his having scorned the Sabres?

I kinda forgot about that whole "spurning Buffalo" thing until this thread, and that after (I think) I posted. Babcock is a dinosaur (and apparently a pervert) and it's not about Buffalo. Columbus wouldn't have fired him because he spurned Buffalo. *Maybe* it got posted here because "look at the jerk-guy that we don't like being a jerk-guy", but I'm betting there are fan boards all around the NHL talking about this.

2 hours ago, MattPie said:

I kinda forgot about that whole "spurning Buffalo" thing until this thread, and that after (I think) I posted. Babcock is a dinosaur (and apparently a pervert) and it's not about Buffalo. Columbus wouldn't have fired him because he spurned Buffalo. *Maybe* it got posted here because "look at the jerk-guy that we don't like being a jerk-guy", but I'm betting there are fan boards all around the NHL talking about this.

Apparently a pervert?

59 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Apparently a pervert?

Well, I haven't been tracking the story that closely; there was phone rifling and presumed that he was ogling people in the photos? I don't know how substantiated that last bit is. In any case, "unlock your phone and give it to me" is bad enough.

7 hours ago, MattPie said:

Well, I haven't been tracking the story that closely; there was phone rifling and presumed that he was ogling people in the photos? I don't know how substantiated that last bit is. In any case, "unlock your phone and give it to me" is bad enough.

This story is just weird.

Edited by Two or less
  • Like (+1) 1

Or a player claims that happened. It sounds like there’s a bit of exaggeration going on in that one. All I can think is:

“I will smash your face into a car windshield, and then take your mother Dorothy Mantooth out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again.”

Look, I’m not trying to defend the guy, but that story sounds a bit over the top. 

5 hours ago, Two or less said:

This story is just weird.

All these stories are coming out from the Spittin' Chiclets Podcast crew and then they go from one hockey guy to another. Not sure if they are all true, or a little spun in an anti Babcock direction but those guys really really hate Babcock. 

Not defending Babcock in any way. Absolutely sure he did some of these things (or a version of) but it is interesting to see how the "news" is spreading out in all directions because of a popular podcast with a few loudmouth former NHLers. 

On 9/19/2023 at 10:31 AM, PASabreFan said:

Hell hath no fury like a Buffalo fan scorned.

He was smart enough to stay away from Pegulaville and used the situation to his advantage. Smart guy.

Okay, everyone, listen up! @PASabreFan is mocking everyone who was angry that Babcock passed us up back in the day and is now down on him because he's too old school to keep a coaching job in the NHL. If this is you, feel shame because you're being called out by a guy who certainly saw through everything starting the moment it was leaked Buffalo was talking to Babcock. PA knew this is how it would end for Babcock - you didn't. That's the message. Live with it.

Edited by ...
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ... said:

Okay, everyone, listen up! @PASabreFan is mocking everyone who was angry that Babcock passed us up back in the day and is now down on him because he's too old school to keep a coaching job in the NHL. If this is you, feel shame because you're being called out by a guy who certainly saw through everything starting the moment it was leaked Buffalo was talking to Babcock. PA knew - you didn't. That's the message. Live with it.

I did know. It was pretty obvious Babcock and the Sabres weren't going to be a match.

Do we possess no common sense anymore? Do we totally lack self awareness? Babcock is getting a rough ride here bc he spurned us. Even his wife got a shot!

Thought experiment. He took the job here and won a Cup before moving on. Would posters here be baselessly suggesting he's a pervert?

Edited by PASabreFan

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

All these stories are coming out from the Spittin' Chiclets Podcast crew and then they go from one hockey guy to another. Not sure if they are all true, or a little spun in an anti Babcock direction but those guys really really hate Babcock. 

Not defending Babcock in any way. Absolutely sure he did some of these things (or a version of) but it is interesting to see how the "news" is spreading out in all directions because of a popular podcast with a few loudmouth former NHLers. 

It's pretty established that once one person does something like speak up, others will feel empowered to speak up since don't feel like they're alone.

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I did know. It was pretty obvious Babcock and the Sabres weren't going to be a match.

Do we possess no common sense anymore? Do we totally lack self awareness? Babcock is getting a rough ride here bc he spurned us. Even his wife got a shot!

Thought experiment. He took the job here and won a Cup before moving on. Would posters here be baselessly suggesting he's a pervert?

Of course it wasn't going to be a match.

However, it seems to me the reason Babcock is being roasted is because it's been shown - since he landed in Toronto - that he's a creepy troglodyte. No one until you has brought up the Buffalo connection and that his wife was offended by the shopping options here.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Nonsense.

Big time nonsense. The broad brushstrokes is amateur. I personally thought he was a pompous ass years and years ago. When he was rumored to be an interest for the coaching position for Buffalo, speaking for myself, I was hoping he would not get picked or would not be interested. I just never liked the cut of his jib.

Edited by Zamboni

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Are you 12? Grow up or do everyone a favour and get lost. 

Learn how to spell.

You started the childish name calling with the troll garbage. I am happy to play along.

28 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Nonsense.

And no one would have been thrilled had he signed here?

Please, your Honour.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.