How many days until the Sabres season

Crusader1969

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Yes not one player for the 70s yet.  I wonder if the  Sabres had a team rule regarding numbers ? 

I recall the NHL started using larger numbers about the time of the WHA and the absorption of some WHA teams into the NHL.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I recall the NHL started using larger numbers about the time of the WHA and the absorption of some WHA teams into the NHL.  

A few guys doubled up their number when they were traded and their number wasn’t available.  Esposito is an example. He wore 7 as a Bruin and  when he was traded to the Rangers he wore 77 

then Gretzky was 99 when he came into the league 

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

A few guys doubled up their number when they were traded and their number wasn’t available.  Esposito is an example. He wore 7 as a Bruin and  when he was traded to the Rangers he wore 77 

then Gretzky was 99 when he came into the league 

Yup, and Kenny Hodge went from 8 to 88, and Brad Park went from 2 to 22.  That happened and Gretzky came in with 99.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yup, and Kenny Hodge went from 8 to 88, and Brad Park went from 2 to 22.  That happened and Gretzky came in with 99.  

***** Brad Park though.

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

This thread makes me long fit the days when all players wore  numbers 1-30. 

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Yes not one player for the 70s yet.  I wonder if the  Sabres had a team rule regarding numbers ? 

I remember when Ottawa had a similar rule (the limit was 49 I think) and it was a brilliant idea.  About 20 years ago maybe?

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

It seems that so many of those 1-30 numbers are retired now that they wouldn't have enough numbers left to field a whole team?

And some of those are probably for players virtually nobody knows about anymore.

As of Aug 17 there are now only IMG_0072.jpeg.01da9f1b3c0f2bf722eabfe282ec4623.jpeg

days until the season

Justin Bailey was a guy that I thought would have a good NHL career. I remember going to watch him  play in Kitchener for the Rangers and thinking he was going to be a player.   Size, speed and a heavy shot but unfortunately for him he was drafted during a period where almost all Sabres prospects failed.  He wore 56 for his first 2 seasons with the club, switching to 95 his 3rd and final year with the Sabres 

He remains an AHL / NHL tweener with the Oilers

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

As of Aug 17 there are now only IMG_0072.jpeg.01da9f1b3c0f2bf722eabfe282ec4623.jpeg

days until the season

Justin Bailey was a guy that I thought would have a good NHL career. I remember going to watch him  play in Kitchener for the Rangers and thinking he was going to be a player.   Size, speed and a heavy shot but unfortunately for him he was drafted during a period where almost all Sabres prospects failed.  He wore 56 for his first 2 seasons with the club, switching to 95 his 3rd and final year with the Sabres 

He remains an AHL / NHL tweener with the Oilers

I wonder if he would have fared better if drafted by our current staff?   He had everything from a tool’s perspective. 

As of Aug 19th, there are 

IMG_0074.jpeg Days until the Sabres season starts 

Drafted in the first round in 2009, the 6’3 210 winger was to be the power forward that Sabres fans salivate for. 
he played 27 games for the Sabres in 2011-12  before being traded to the Canucks for Cody Hodgson. 

Edited by Crusader1969

22 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Drafted in the first round in 2009, the 6’3 210 winger was to be the power forward that Sabres fans salivate for. 
he played 27 games for the Sabres in 2011-12  before being traded to the Canucks for Cody Hodgson. 

The Concept of August 19th.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I guess it was a good trade in the end even though Hodgson flamed out due to a back condition. Sulzer also almost gave us a hat trick against Colorado if it weren’t for Foligno’s butt lol

45 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I guess it was a good trade in the end even though Hodgson flamed out due to a back condition. Sulzer also almost gave us a hat trick against Colorado if it weren’t for Foligno’s butt lol

It wasn’t a back condition.  It was a chronic, life altering medical condition.  The name of it escapes me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.