How many days until the Sabres season

Crusader1969

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Hint #2.   Drafted 7th round in 2012.  Played 5 regular season games with Sabres  and over 140 with Rochester 

Hint #3.  He is 6’4 and was drafted out of the OHL   Here are the teams he played for 

11-12 Belleville Bulls OHL 68 6 20 26 59 -1

12-13 Belleville Bulls “A” OHL 64 8 15 23 22 16

13-14 Belleville Bulls “A” OHL 7 1 4 5 6 2

London Knights “A” OHL 60 8 20 28 36 49

14-15 Rochester Americans AHL 66 1 9 10 31 -16

Elmira Jackals ECHL 1 0 0 0 0 0

15-16 Rochester Americans AHL 72 2 9 11 37 -2

16-17 Buffalo Sabres NHL 5 0 0 0 4 0

Rochester Americans AHL 72 4 8 12 59 -10

17-18 Cleveland Monsters AHL 65 6 17 23 42 2

18-19 Stockton Heat AHL 2 0 0 0 0 -4

Esbjerg Energy Denmark 18 3 6 9 51 8

19-20 Rytíři Kladno Czechia 52 18 25 43 26 -12

20-21 Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod KHL 50 4 10 14 39 -3

21-22 Tappara Liiga 52 4 9 13 38 21

22-23 Kölner Haie DEL 56 9 16 25 31 1

Edited by Crusader1969

9 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

As of August 6th there are 

image.thumb.png.ff6bab713b34737405b5ae7ec64d1165.png         Until puck drop

ill be really impressed if you can name this player without help of the internet 

See bolded below (in weave’s post)

4 hours ago, Weave said:

The only common sense measurement of success that I consider universally accepted is winning.  By that common sense measurement, the jury had not yet been charged, let alone returned a verdict.

And no, your expectation is based on faith, not realism.  And that is 100% OK , but don’t mischaracterize it.  Realism would be expressing that a 1 yr trend is not a trend, and that the playoffs are still a hope, not an expectation based on data or history.

I know this line of discussion makes it sound like I am pessimistic.  I’m actually not, with the caveat that it depends on Levi being a stone cold success. I like the direction, I like the 2 d men they brought in.  I like how they finished the season and think it is reasonable that it continues come October.

But KA hasn’t done enough to better ensure it.  Like I said earlier though, I won’t judge him in the preseason.  I’ll judge him when the last 16 teams are playing.  Prior to that, you can’t really determine success, or failure for that matter.

and just to add to weave’s great post 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

NHL.com team preview.    Trigger alert.   For those who get triggered when you hear others showing optimism in regards to the coming season  - All 3 of the writers have the Sabres in the playoffs( 2 of them written in Sharpie)  , so Watch at your own discretion 

https://www.nhl.com/video/buffalo-sabres-season-preview/t-277350912/c-18230556

Are they being optimistic? I think I want an analyst to deal in realism. Probably splitting hairs.

I can deal with optimism. I actually am still optimistic that this franchise is destined to win a Cup. The short term makes me very skeptical though. Dudacek's 2027 lineup haunts my dreams.

Gaslighting is my biggest issue. Please don't tell me how successful Adams has been. Not yet anyway.

as of Aug 7 there are 

IMG_0036.jpeg               Days until puck drop 

interesting that no Sabres has ever worn 66

The above pic is of Seantrel Henderson.  A 7th round pick in 2014 who started all 16 games for the Bills that year    He played for the Bills from 2014-2017

unfortunately, he suffered from Crones disease.  He was suspended multiple times due to his use of marijuana to help deal with the pain of the disease. He later ran into injury issues and was never able to duplicate the success he had in his rookie campaign .  Now plays for Saskatchewan of the CFL

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

As of Aug 8th there are image.jpeg.0556bd55b337a3d0b38d7c42a101ab62.jpeg

Days until the Sabres season begins 

this one is for the old guys on the site.  Truth be told I don’t remember him at all, playing for the Sabres 

see if anyone knows who this is …..

Is that Mark Napier?

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Is that Mark Napier?

You are correct!   I absolutely have no recollection of him being a Sabres.  In 1987, Napier got traded along with Lee Fogolin to the Buffalo Sabres for Normand Lacombe and Wayne Van Dorp. 

his last 2 seasons in the NHL were with the Sabres.   Retired a 2 time Stanley Cup winner   He is most recognized for his time with the Canadians 

On 8/5/2023 at 5:47 PM, PASabreFan said:

This is professional sports. I'm over being a development team. I honestly think most fans are.

From my perspective, their development team status is strictly tied to the age and games played of the new core: Dahlin, Power, Muel, Tage (GP at center), Cozens, Quinn, and Levi. Add in the role guys in Krebs, JJP, UPL, and it's half the lineup for this season. The good news is that another season at center for TNT, Dahlin and Muel hitting 24 and having a 3rd year post-Krueger, and they'll on their way. (And yes, I'd move UPL for an established veteran, but... GMs are gonna GM.)

As an alternative, we could have traded Power for Erik Karlsson easily enough.

On 8/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, DarthEbriate said:

From my perspective, their development team status is strictly tied to the age and games played of the new core: Dahlin, Power, Muel, Tage (GP at center), Cozens, Quinn, and Levi. Add in the role guys in Krebs, JJP, UPL, and it's half the lineup for this season. The good news is that another season at center for TNT, Dahlin and Muel hitting 24 and having a 3rd year post-Krueger, and they'll on their way. (And yes, I'd move UPL for an established veteran, but... GMs are gonna GM.)

As an alternative, we could have traded Power for Erik Karlsson easily enough.

Either it's about winning or it's not.

• Eyeroll 1

As of August 9th there are

IMG_0039.thumb.webp.764e484ebc10286679dacf3cd8189d81.webp

Days until puck drop

#64 is David Moravec who played 1 game for the Sabres in the 99-00  season   Drafted in the 8th round in 1998 by the Sabres    Had a good career in hockey playing 575 games over 13 seasons in the Czech league   
now is an assistant coach with the Czechia u17 national team 

Edit.  Should add the only player to ever wear 64 in a regular season game for Buffalo 

Edited by Crusader1969

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Either it's about winning or it's not.

Do you ever get tired of posting stuff like this? 
We get it. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup and the Sabres failed. Again.  Burnt toast. 

But there’s a clear plan from the Sabres leadership and the building blocks are in place. Are we really going to shout down every poster with an eye toward the groundwork put in place right now? 

5 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Do you ever get tired of posting stuff like this? 
We get it. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup and the Sabres failed. Again.  Burnt toast. 

But there’s a clear plan from the Sabres leadership and the building blocks are in place. Are we really going to shout down every poster with an eye toward the groundwork put in place right now? 

Any "shouting down" of the poster was pushback against the idea that only age and inexperience makes the Sabres a development squad. It's also a GM who won't try and make the playoffs and a coach who won't pull the goalie because... Why? Because it'll be good for the kids to try and tie the game at even strength?

Until shown otherwise, the vaunted culture in Buffalo still has nothing to do with winning. Going with a rookie goalie is Exhibit Y.

Don't gaslight me.

What's changed since 2014? The Sabres have gone from trying derive some future advantage by losing to trying to derive some future advantage by not trying to win.

I'm over it... And yes the posts. But I'm not going to quit. I did quit on the Bills and certainly regret it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Any "shouting down" of the poster was pushback against the idea that only age and inexperience makes the Sabres a development squad. It's also a GM who won't try and make the playoffs and a coach who won't pull the goalie because... Why? Because it'll be good for the kids to try and tie the game at even strength?

Until shown otherwise, the vaunted culture in Buffalo still has nothing to do with winning. Going with a rookie goalie is Exhibit Y.

Don't gaslight me.

What's changed since 2014? The Sabres have gone from trying derive some future advantage by losing to trying to derive some future advantage by not trying to win.

I'm over it... And yes the posts. But I'm not going to quit. I did quit on the Bills and certainly regret it.

I would not go as far as you, but going with a rookie collegiate as #1 at the most important position on the ice while having dubious back-ups is enough cause to question the franchise's commitment to winning this coming season.  And I wonder how the players look at this.

• Like (+1) 2

63 is the sum of the first six powers of 2 (20 + 21 + ... 25). It is the eighth highly cototient number,[1] and the fourth centered octahedral number; after 7 and 25.[2] For five unlabeled elements, there are 63 posets.[3]

63 is the third Delanoy number, for the number of ways to travel from a southwest corner to a northeast corner in a 3 by 3 grid.

63 is a Mersenne number of the form 2�−1 with an � of 6,[4] however this does not yield a Mersenne prime, as 63 is the forty-fourth composite number.[5] It is the only number in the Mersenne sequence whose prime factors are each factors of at least one previous element of the sequence (3 and 7, respectively the first and second Mersenne primes).[6] In the list of Mersenne numbers, 63 lies between Mersenne primes 31 and 127, with 127 the thirty-first prime number.[4] The thirty-first odd number, of the simplest form 2�+1, is 63.[7] 63 is also the fourth Woodall number of the form �⋅2�−1 with �=4, with the previous members being 1, 7 and 23 (they add to 31, the third Mersenne prime).[8]

Zsigmondy's theorem states that where �>�>0 are coprime integers for any integer �≥1, there exists a primitive prime divisor � that divides ��−�� and does not divide ��−��, for any positive integer �<�; except for when

�=1, �−�=1; with ��−��=1 having no prime divisors,

�=2, �+� a power of two, where any odd prime factors of �2−�2=(�+�)(�1−�1) are contained in �1−�1, which is even;

and for a special case where �=6 with �=2 and �=1, which yields �6−�6=26−16=63=32×7=(�2−�2)2(�3−�3).[9]

63 is the third Delannoy number, which represents the number of pathways in a 3×3 grid from a southwest corner to a northeast corner, using only single steps northward, eastward, or northeasterly.[10]

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I would not go as far as you, but going with a rookie collegiate as #1 at the most important position on the ice while having dubious back-ups is enough cause to question the franchise's commitment to winning this coming season.  And I wonder how the players look at this.

Levi walked in and immediately was the best the Sabres had in the crease. He got every important game he could possibly play. And I think the players recognize that. 

I’m concerned about the position as well. But I’m not questioning the franchises “commitment to winning this season” because I’m not jealous of any off-season goaltending transaction across the league. No signing or trade was made where I thought, “the Sabres should have done that.”

9 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Levi walked in and immediately was the best the Sabres had in the crease. He got every important game he could possibly play. And I think the players recognize that. 

I’m concerned about the position as well. But I’m not questioning the franchises “commitment to winning this season” because I’m not jealous of any off-season goaltending transaction across the league. No signing or trade was made where I thought, “the Sabres should have done that.”

Fair enough.  I keep thinking about all the players who came in and were good until there was a book on them.  I recall the Penguins in 2001 having an unknown goaltender who did not last too long after that season.  I also remember how many goaltenders -- particularly Philadelphia's --who were chased out of the league once Lindy Ruff got a hold of film on them.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.