2023-2024 Sabres lineup

sabresparaavida

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just compare Comrie to UPL.  Comrie's AHL save % in seasons where he played 10+ games were .907, .906, .916, .917 and .918.  UPL's .874, .888, .900 (also .898 in 9 games last year).  Honestly Tokarski maybe the best of our non-Levi goalies.

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Would you roll the dice on a Comrie/Levi duo more than a UPL/Levi duo? I think I would. Though not ideal. 

Comrie is 28, and has 22 wins and a .897 sv% of in 47 career NHL starts.

UPL is 24, and has 20 wins and a sv% of .898 in 46 career NHL starts.

Why would you roll the dice on either?

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wouldn’t.  I’ve been asking KA to get real goaltending since Ullmark left town.  I even wrote above that Tokarski is better than either Comrie or UPL.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I said not ideal. I would rather not do either one. But I was asking Tom if he would rather roll the dice on one duo over the other. If there must be a choice between the two. That’s all.

13 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I said not ideal. I would rather not do either one. But I was asking Tom if he would rather roll the dice on one duo over the other. If there must be a choice between the two. That’s all.

I got that. Mostly just pushing back against the idea that Comrie might be better.

I mean he might be, but the numbers suggest he’s been equally bad, just for longer.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Pretty hard to debate private numbers or any conclusions being drawn from them. (Not doubting your sources exist). Conventional stats disagree.

And I’m not debating whether or not UPL needs to be upgraded. In my opinion, he should be.

I understand but there have been public articles written that refer to some of these numbers. There is a reason you won’t find a single article from the last few years that list him as an NHL prospect. People that debate these things for a living do not have a high opinion of him. He has largely been a Buffalo thing.

It would be great to be proven wrong but I just don’t see it.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I would have Comrie as my starting goalie in Rochester and send UPL in a trade for Hart, Markstrom or Hellebuyck

51 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Why do I get the sickening feeling that letting Ulmark walk is going to end up just about the most catastrophic blunder in Sabres history?

His success is a big part because of the Boston system.  We didn't let Ulmark walk, he chose to walk.  And who could blame him picking Boston over Buffalo??

Just now, Night Train said:

Ullmark in Boston playoffs

2021-22  0-2 4.16  . 860

2022-23  3-3  3.33  .896 

Small sample size BUT it is alarming

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

49 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

His success is a big part because of the Boston system.  We didn't let Ulmark walk, he chose to walk.  And who could blame him picking Boston over Buffalo??

Small sample size BUT it is alarming

Worrying about playoff performance is a problem I would love to have. 

• Agree 1

Thinking about Power signing a long term deal with the Sabres.  I know he is only 1 season in, and has a long way to go, buy why would he sign long term with the Sabres,  knowing he is never(short of Dahlin being injured) going to get the PP1 time that would allow him to rack up the stats, and in turn get paid like a true #1 dman?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Thinking about Power signing a long term deal with the Sabres.  I know he is only 1 season in, and has a long way to go, buy why would he sign long term with the Sabres,  knowing he is never(short of Dahlin being injured) going to get the PP1 time that would allow him to rack up the stats, and in turn get paid like a true #1 dman?

Sabres are probably giving Power two options.  Sign bridge deal now after one year in NHL for 3 years at $6 million and see where things go or take the long term as a number 2, and sign 8 years for $8 million and get to free agency sooner.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

There are a couple of reasons:

1. He’s going to be here for a minimum of 4 more years anyways, barring extreme circumstances. 

2. The Sabres in a couple years will have the talent to run 2 very strong power plays that can practically split the PP time. 
Tuch, Thompson, Skinner, Cozens and Mitts are good PP options, Quinn and JJP should develop into good options, and Benson/Savoie/Kulich/Rosen/Östlund should be good options for the 8th forward spot/if any of those players prove to not be worth a spot. Our second PP will be better than most team’s 2nd PK unit and could prove to be more or equally productive than our first unit in time. 

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I think most great players aren't threatened by other great players, but rather want to play with other great players, on great teams, and win a lot.

I also think that Power and his agent know that TP will pay him extremely well if Power has the goods -- and that they all think he has the goods.

If he stays on a star trajectory I would be very surprised if he left the Sabres before age 30.

• Like (+1) 3

Let’s assume for arguments sake that KA doesn’t believe any of Kulich, Biro, Rousek, Benson or Savoie are ready for NHL duty to start the season.

Given Quinn’s injury, should KA add another forward to help with our depth?  The Athletic seems to think so.  https://theathletic.com/4738651/2023/08/01/sabres-free-agent-jack-quinn-injury/

Here are their suggestions.  Tatar, Stastny, Suter, Parise, and Comtois.  Stastny and Parise obviously add veteran experience.  Parise can still score and Stastny is dtil; great in the FO circle, but I doubt KA would be interested in either. Tatar is also a vet and can still score.  He also plays a physical game that would fit well here.  He’s make the most sense as a Quinn replacement in the top 9.

That said I’m more interested in Suter and Comtois. Suter could center the 4th line and really help the PK while chipping in the occasional goal.  Comtois is a young talented player who needs a fresh start and os someone I can see blossoming under DG.  He is young enough to be part of the solution here and he’s be cheap to sign.  At this point we’d probably get him on a veteran 2 way deal.  If Donnie can get him back to the player he was 2 years ago, he’d be a perfect Quinn replacement this season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.