The Sabres and the Goalie market

GASabresIUFAN

Is KA still looking for goaltending help?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be our goalies when the season starts?

• Levi, UPL and Comrie will all be on the roster to start the season
    • Levi and Comrie will be on the roster to start the season. UPL will be traded when he loses the backup job in camp.
    • Levi and UPL will be on the roster to start the season. Comrie will be traded when he loses the backup job in camp.
    • Levi and Tokarski will be on the roster to start the season. Comrie will waived and clear to start in Rochester while UPL will be traded.
    • KA trades for good to high end starter like Hellebuyck, Saros or Hart to pair and mentor Levi
    • KA trades for one of the top RFA goalies after their arbitration hearings.
    • KA, disappointed with Comrie and UPL in camp, trades for Gibson.
    • Other

4 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

If that’s the best the Jets can get and I’m Winnipeg…I say no to the offer of the Sabres spare parts (I also have no belief in UPL) and wait until the deadline to move Helle.  

Your probably right that they’ll get more him at the deadline than they will right now.

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think it's about 70% likely that the Sabres do not bring in a goalie, and they solve their roster issues by sending Bryson and either Stillman or Comrie to Rochester.  None of those 3 is likely to be claimed, and if he is, it's not a big loss.

Yep makes sense though I think stillman would be claimed. Bryson would be the one sent down anyway

14 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

If that’s the best the Jets can get and I’m Winnipeg…I say no to the offer of the Sabres spare parts (I also have no belief in UPL) and wait until the deadline to move Helle.  

He has said he doesn’t want to play in Canada anymore. I don’t know if him going back in that locker room is an option.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Your probably right that they’ll get more him at the deadline than they will right now.

Yep, especially with the high probability that a contending team has a goalie injury. Only issue with waiting until then is if Helly doesn’t want to be in Winnipeg or if team is bad and his stats are his normal great stats

19 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If I’m Winnipeg I’d be worried right now. Where is the market for Hellebuyck? LA are tapped out after the Dubois deal. Carolina brought their goalies back. Detroit signed Reimer and Lyon. Ottawa signed Korpisalo. Pitt brought Jarry back long term.

One of the insiders said NJ moved off of Hellebuyck.

Hellebuyck wants out but the options are drying up for him.

If there isn’t a market I would offer Joker, UPL, VO, secondary prospect and say this is the best chance you will get to move him.

Take him for a year and tell him that we can’t give you the extension you want but we can give you a year to go on a run and hit UFA when the cap goes up next year. Let this team develop with a tandem of Hellebuyck and Levi behind them, let Levi develop properly and hope next year he is established as “The Guy”.

Cap space is limited everywhere, especially after these signings. I count five teams over the cap (LAK, PP, TBL, VC & VGK). CA, MC & TML are a few dollars from max with bodies to add.

Quite a few teams are set in goal so the market is dwindling.

Cheveldayoff isn’t desperate but there may not be much of a market at the deadline. If they are on the bubble, trading that calibre of goalie torpedoes their chances.

21 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If I’m Winnipeg I’d be worried right now. Where is the market for Hellebuyck? LA are tapped out after the Dubois deal. Carolina brought their goalies back. Detroit signed Reimer and Lyon. Ottawa signed Korpisalo. Pitt brought Jarry back long term.

One of the insiders said NJ moved off of Hellebuyck.

Hellebuyck wants out but the options are drying up for him.

If there isn’t a market I would offer Joker, UPL, VO, secondary prospect and say this is the best chance you will get to move him.

Take him for a year and tell him that we can’t give you the extension you want but we can give you a year to go on a run and hit UFA when the cap goes up next year. Let this team develop with a tandem of Hellebuyck and Levi behind them, let Levi develop properly and hope next year he is established as “The Guy”.

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think it's about 70% likely that the Sabres do not bring in a goalie, and they solve their roster issues by sending Bryson and either Stillman or Comrie to Rochester.  None of those 3 is likely to be claimed, and if he is, it's not a big loss.

The fact that Adams has strengthened the roster while keeping the door wide open to strengthen it further strikes me as more evidence he’s competent and calculated.

If the right goalie or defenceman becomes available at the right price - none of the rumoured targets have moved - he has the flexibility and the assets to act.

I get why others question his willingness to act, but I don’t feel that way. You don’t position yourself the way he has without intent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

He has said he doesn’t want to play in Canada anymore. I don’t know if him going back in that locker room is an option.

The more pressure on KC the more chance the return is diminished. He’s been there a long time but this off season may be his most challenging and his job could be on the line.

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I am “excited” to see if his potential poor goaltending strategy, once again, will land him on the hot seat. 

[edited] Interesting that in that quote, Comrie is not mentioned. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

And pray Helleybuck doesn’t get injured 

Joker would be a good fit for the jets . UPL still could turn out to be a very good goalie and a high draft pick…giving up Rosen or Östlund seems like a massive overpayment but one the Sabres can afford 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Welp it's year 3 hopefully he understands you cannot do the same circus goalie routine again

This is actually his 4th chance(summer/offseason) to fix the goaltending position, and doesn’t seem to interested in doing so. 

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So you are okay with a guy with a whopping 7 games under his NHL belt, along with one of UPL/Comrie?

…or maybe you think Levi is going to play all 82 games?

No. But barring injury, Levi will play 35-50 games. Also Adams is not going to publicly state the Sabres are desperate for a goalie, even while the look. That said, they are not done with UPL and Comrie like some fans are.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Because you just don't do that you need a vet to lean on gather knowledge when things get tough.

Hell Levi even said the reason why the biggest reason he signed was because of craig anderson

Whatever. If Levi is the starter, he’ll be fine.

Hell, if Levi was the starter last year, the Sabres would have made the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

Some other notable quotes from Adams regarding goaltenders. They did take a look at the available players and did say are those players better than the goaltender that we currently have and in many of situations they felt no. He specifically mentioned we could probably brought in a goaltender who has played multiple games and said we brought in a veteran with lots of experience, but they felt those goalies were not an improvement over what they had. 

Anderson, Raanta and Jarry all decided to stay with her current teams.Korpisalo  would have been an improvement but the deal that he decided on the 5 years with a 4 million AAV. He was probably the best goaltender that moved, I just don’t think they’re too keen on paying a back up four million dollars when Levi is going to be ready for extension in two years. Plus would  Korpi want to come to a situation, where he will be splitting, starts this year and relegated to a back up position relatively quickly. 

I would not wait until the trade deadline to try and get Hellebuyck How do you say showing him off locations that goaltenders acquired at the TDL have a different time adjusting to new systems. Vladar someone who they have shown interest in past is available. 

Also, in terms of John Gibson, who would not be my first choice, Chad has mentioned that he consistently starts well in the first half of the season and tails off by the end. Could this be a byproduct of him being overworked through course of the season and might his play improve in a 1A/1B situation. His contract is four years remaining with a cap hit of 6.4 million AAV, Anaheim would need to retain summer between 2.5 and 3.2 million for this to work. But again, are they gonna want to pay it back up goaltender somewhere between 3 to 4 Million per year. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No. But barring injury, Levi will play 35-50 games. Also Adams is not going to publicly state the Sabres are desperate for a goalie, even while the look. That said, they are not done with UPL and Comrie like some fans are.

If the Sabres go with this trio and miss the playoffs because of less than stellar goaltending, are you okay with it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.