Update Jack Quinn has started skating again

Brawndo

Achilles is not as big a deal for a hockey player as it would be for about any other sport. That said, it heals slowly and at its own pace. Count on the 6 months plus time in Rochester to get timing and legs back. This stinks. Let's be positive though, better than shoulder injury.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If I was gm I'd have increased urgency to add a compher or Killorn. Backfill the promotion of Casey or JJ (depending on lines/how you want to look at it) with someone who is a steadying influence and has done it before, not someone that would be treading water/learning in that spot like Kulich or savoie

• Like (+1) 2

So, having gone through denial, grief, anger, etc., I guess that leaves us with:

Skinner-TT-Tuch

Mitts-Cozens-JJP

Greenway-Krebs-Rousek/VO/other

Zemgus-Jost/other-KO

...with the Rousek, Jost and #13 spots representing opportunities for Kulich, Rosen, Savoie, Benson or trade/FA acquisitions.

I'd be surprised if they spent significant dollars or assets on a Compher or other name acquisition.

EDIT:  if VO isn't traded, I'd expect him to end up with Greenway and Krebs.  I think JJP will stay with Cozens and Mitts will move up to take Quinn's spot.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I don't think so.

Me neither, really...

I don't think the injury changes the offseason approach, injuries are par for the course and they would have been operating as if they needed to assemble the depth to account for said injuries, from the beginning. Maybe we were sitting at something like this before the Quinn injury:

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Mittelstadt - Cozens - Quinn

Peterka - Krebs - Greenway

Girgensons - Jost - Okpsoso

..With Quinn out, I assume they'll fill the position with the most ready-to-contribute player we have. Not sure who, maybe Rousek?

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Mittelstadt - Cozens - Greenway

Peterka - Krebs - Rousek

Girgensons - Jost - Okposo

People who were excited to see what Greenway would bring in a full season, who expected the staff felt he had a larger role in store, that's become even more important now. I imagine he more less just slides up one line, top 6 if we're lucky maybe doesn't miss a beat, and the biggest thing is just hoping Rousek, or whoever the option is, is ready to go. We still need depth is this injury already forces a guy like Rousek into the lineup, so I assume Jost or equivalent is signed, and assuming VO does get dealt, maybe we get an NHL F back/look to add one from outside for depth purposes. Looks like we'll need to add at least one vet depth addition, though, assuming VO is still on the way out. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If I was gm I'd have increased urgency to add a compher or Killorn. Backfill the promotion of Casey or JJ (depending on lines/how you want to look at it) with someone who is a steadying influence and has done it before, not someone that would be treading water/learning in that spot like Kulich or savoie

Looking at the roster I agree, this would be a really big help. The top 6 looks like it'd be totally fine without Quinn but in my example above the 3rd line of Peterka - Krebs - Rousek has talent, but is pretty unproven for the third line in a year playoffs are a must. You can keep Greenway there, but then the top 6 gets a question mark. 

A more veteran add to help on Line 3 should the guy like Rousek/Kulich tread water as you say, would go a long way 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Also wondering can an achilles be a partial tear, or is it always a full tear?

It can be... also depends on severity... I partially tore both playing volley ball in my 20s felt like something kicked my ankles... did lots of toe lifts and healed on their own... but low blood flow area so needs lots of consistent stretching easy non impact stimulation... also calcium build up can be an issue... hence important to stretch... Surgery sounds like it might have been on the bone but not sure... mine were not and only 10% tears.. did have knots in them for a long time... Skating actually good for healing process once stabilized

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The more I think about this, Quinn’s injury decreases the likelihood VO gets traded.  With Quinn gone for perhaps most of the season, we are going to need to replace his offense.  What’s more KA than looking for an internal solution and utilizing the 28 goal scorer already on the payroll?  

VO will be motivated to earn his next contract and he is well liked in the locker-room. VO also has acknowledged his deficiencies and my guess he’ll put in the work to get better.  

KA said he wants to re-sign Jost and once completed that deal will give us 12 healthy forwards under contract again.

Skinner TnT Tuch

JJP Cozens Mitts

VO Krebs Greenway

Girgensons Jost KO

This might also clear a path for Rousek to start the year in Buffalo

Skinner TnT Tuch

JJP Cozens Greenway

Rousek Mitts VO

Girgensons Krebs KO (Jost)

I do find Greenway playing a 2nd line role on Cozens line very intriguing.  He’ll create a lot of space for JJP and Cozens to operate.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The more I think about this, Quinn’s injury decreases the likelihood VO gets traded.  With Quinn gone for perhaps most of the season, we are going to need to replace his offense.  What’s more KA than looking for an internal solution and utilizing the 28 goal scorer already on the payroll?  

VO will be motivated to earn his next contract and he is well liked in the locker-room. VO also has acknowledged his deficiencies and my guess he’ll put in the work to get better.  

KA said he wants to re-sign Jost and once completed that deal will give us 12 healthy forwards under contract again.

Skinner TnT Tuch

JJP Cozens Mitts

VO Krebs Greenway

Girgensons Jost KO

This might also clear a path for Rousek to start the year in Buffalo

Skinner TnT Tuch

JJP Cozens Greenway

Rousek Mitts VO

Girgensons Krebs KO (Jost)

I do find Greenway playing a 2nd line role on Cozens line very intriguing.  He’ll create a lot of space for JJP and Cozens to operate.

No interest in keeping the 1 dimensional olofsson. Sign a ufa but it's time to move on from olofsson. He's 27, if he hasn't figured out how to play at this point he isn't going to. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Looking at the roster I agree, this would be a really big help. The top 6 looks like it'd be totally fine without Quinn but in my example above the 3rd line of Peterka - Krebs - Rousek has talent, but is pretty unproven for the third line in a year playoffs are a must. You can keep Greenway there, but then the top 6 gets a question mark. 

A more veteran add to help on Line 3 should the guy like Rousek/Kulich tread water as you say, would go a long way 

Not to mention, we are suddenly starting the injury ledger at -1 in October rather than 0. I'd rather a UFA vet move into the top 6 if tuch gets hurt than, uh Rousek 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

No interest in keeping the 1 dimensional olofsson. Sign a ufa but it's time to move on from olofsson. He's 27, if he hasn't figured out how to play at this point he isn't going to. 

That certainly is a real possibility and I understand that point of view.  I’ve been looking at Pius Suter as an under the radar UFA signing to add experience forward depth, especially if Jost doesn’t re-sign or VO is traded.  

The question I have for you, is his one dimensional game as big an issue if KA upgrades the D and goaltending? KA admitted in today’s presser that he wants to upgrade the D and that he is talking to every available D to find the right player for the right cost and term.  I suspect he already has a deal in mind.  How much of a liability is VO in that scenario?  KA preaches organizational depth.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Not to mention, we are suddenly starting the injury ledger at -1 in October rather than 0. I'd rather a UFA vet move into the top 6 if tuch gets hurt than, uh Rousek 

It's funny how quickly even one injury can make the depth look different, and rest assured those injuries come quickly. When you have higher expectations, addressing these depth concerns in advance isn't a luxury. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

I think id rather plan for longer and eat some money than keep VO, or put an inexperienced player in a position they aren't prepared for.  

I don't think you need to look at the top of the free agent bucket, but i think the team also could use a compher type in the bottom 6 anyway.  

But don't see Quinn's injury affecting whether they go for a Compher or not.  And personally have been advocating for a Compher type for a while (though not necessarily him per se) but still expect that's 4th on the shopping list and don't have a good feel for whether Adams will bring somebody like that in or not.

And could see where this does keep Olofsson on the roster to start the year (though by no means expect that's a given; just don't see his getting traded as being a given anymore and it almost assuredly was a given 48 hours ago).  Going with the devil they know rather than one they don't.  Plus, unlikely as it may be, knowing he was on his way out of town but getting a reprieve MIGHT (possibly?) get him back to focusing on the little things he doesn't do particularly well to at least get them to adequate.  If he could be adequate in his own end (and 2 seasons ago he was while working through the hand/wrist injury) maybe he bought himself a few more months in B&G.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Does this remove VO from the trade block?

If this forces them to keep VO for the beginning of the season then it merely gives VO the opportunity to raise his trade value. It could be a blessing in disguise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That certainly is a real possibility and I understand that point of view.  I’ve been looking at Pius Suter as an under the radar UFA signing to add experience forward depth, especially if Jost doesn’t re-sign or VO is traded.  

The question I have for you, is his one dimensional game as big an issue if KA upgrades the D and goaltending? KA admitted in today’s presser that he wants to upgrade the D and that he is talking to every available D to find the right player for the right cost and term.  I suspect he already has a deal in mind.  How much of a liability is VO in that scenario?  KA preaches organizational depth.

Yes. His 1 dimensional game is a massive issue and blaming the defense when olofsson can't even clear the zone is wrong. Olofsson needs to go. 

Rousek is a perfectly suitable replacement for VO. There's no chance in hell I want olofsson in the top 9.

Totally sucks. He’s a star in the making. Really solid piece.

But return from Achilles is possible. Much better prospects today than 10-15 years ago. I’ve seen both NFL players and NBA players tear it and return. 

If it’s 6 full months that puts him right at mid-late December.  So he could be in the lineup in the spring. I suspect even after December he won’t be at full speed this year. He will be healthy. It is likely 2024 before we can see him at full health. But he could well have a full recover. 

Cam Akers is a good example. Had a new type of surgery. 

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/a-deep-dive-into-cam-akers-miraculous-recovery-from-achilles-tendon-surgery-fantasy-football/

He returned 6 months after surgery. Did not appear to be full speed. That year (2022). But last year he seemed to have returned to his usual self. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.