Friedman: Botterill still in contention for Pens GM; Dubas the favorite?

Second Line Center

Jason Botterill Still an Option in Penguins GM Search

The Pittsburgh Penguins seem set on Kyle Dubas, but there are still a few names floating around the GM search.

The Pittsburgh Penguins could name a new general manager at any moment and the likely outcome is the involvement of Kyle Dubas in some way.

Elliotte Friedman on the 32 Thoughts Podcaststated that people in and around the Penguins organization are preparing for Dubas to take control.

If it ends up not being Dubas, however, who is left in the running?

Friedman stated previously that Mathieu Darche and Steve Greeley are being held as backup options if Dubas decides to go another direction, but there was a new name to add.

According to Friedman, he was told that Jason Botterill might still have a fighting chance in this race.

Botterill has been back and forth in the Penguins’ GM search since the very beginning and at multiple moments seemed to be completely out of the running.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins/news/jason-botterill-option-pittsburgh-penguins-general-manager-search

4 hours ago, MattPie said:

I-Bot, U-Bot, and J-Bot.

I think he wants more of a yes man. Dubas didn’t like having to answer to Shanahan. He wants the power to make the decisions so he took the POHO role but he wants someone who just agrees with his ideas. I don’t think he could get away with putting Spezza in as GM but maybe someone like Pridham who was with him in Toronto.

12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I think he wants more of a yes man.

Actually if he wants a "Here, execute this trade" kinda guy, JBot would suit that well.  JBot is a decent tactician was a bit lost when he had to plan strategy as well.

26 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Actually if he wants a "Here, execute this trade" kinda guy, JBot would suit that well.  JBot is a decent tactician was a bit lost when he had to plan strategy as well.

JBot won’t touch that setup. He will want his own say into what moves are made.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

JBot won’t touch that setup. He will want his own say into what moves are made.

He’s definitely not a yes man. He got fired from Buffalo because he wouldn’t fire the guys KA would 

Edited by Thorny

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Who does he hire as GM?

No data.  Heard some of his press conference.  Looks like he'll be the interim GM for now (with no word on how long "now" is).  He talked a lot about analytics and how all the different groups need to work together and not be in silos.  (Silos wasn't the term he used, but the jist is the same.)  So, we could still see Karmanos or Ventura getting plucked at some time in the relatively near future unfortunately.  My interpretation of his words.  YMMV.)

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No data.  Heard some of his press conference.  Looks like he'll be the interim GM for now (with no word on how long "now" is).  He talked a lot about analytics and how all the different groups need to work together and not be in silos.  (Silos wasn't the term he used, but the jist is the same.)  So, we could still see Karmanos or Ventura getting plucked at some time in the relatively near future unfortunately.  My interpretation of his words.  YMMV.)

My guess is Brandon Pridham who worked with him with the Leafs and helped write the collective bargaining agreement. Throw Spezza in as an associate.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Someone threaten Dubas’s family with a nacho cheese bomb or something to steer clear of Buffalo’s staff.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Rubbish. He's working under Francis right now. 

Uh you now the difference between assistant GM and GM. If he accepted the GM role in Pittsburgh he would not want to be a yes man to all Dubas’ whims.  Dubas is the defacto GM. He took the POHO so he has the power to make the decisions without a President overtop of him overriding his decisions.

• Agree 1

Uh you now the difference between assistant GM and GM. If he accepted the GM role in Pittsburgh he would not want to be a yes man to all Dubas’ whims.  Dubas is the defacto GM. He took the POHO so he has the power to make the decisions without a President overtop of him overriding his decisions.

My point is if he took an assistant GM job why wouldn't he take a GM job under someone as in both cases he has few or no independent decisions. 

Current job, X dollars pay, reports to Francis his boss. 

Hypothetical new job, X Plus dollars pay raise, reports to Dubas his boss. 

Different title, same thing, more pay. That's all. 

I don't think he'd leave Seattle for that myself, unless it was a HUGE pay raise and a term contract, but the idea he wouldn't work under a boss is what I still call nonsense. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

My point is if he took an assistant GM job why wouldn't he take a GM job under someone as in both cases he has few or no independent decisions. 

Current job, X dollars pay, reports to Francis his boss. 

Hypothetical new job, X Plus dollars pay raise, reports to Dubas his boss. 

Different title, same thing, more pay. That's all. 

I don't think he'd leave Seattle for that myself, unless it was a HUGE pay raise and a term contract, but the idea he wouldn't work under a boss is what I still call nonsense. 

You may be right.  

In Seattle he is one of 3 assistant GMs and he is the only one of the three that does not carry the VP title.  The other two, Ricky Olcyzk and Alexandra Mandryky have never been an NHL GM either, yet they carry the VP title.   Francis is an Exec VP and GM.   Seems odd and almost like a slight to JBOT.  

In Pitts he would be a GM but a #2 under Dubas.  So he gets a promotion in title, and most likely a raise, and it should be more responsibilities than he has in Seattle today.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

You may be right.  

In Seattle he is one of 3 assistant GMs and he is the only one of the three that does not carry the VP title.  The other two, Ricky Olcyzk and Alexandra Mandryky have never been an NHL GM either, yet they carry the VP title.   Francis is an Exec VP and GM.   Seems odd and almost like a slight to JBOT.  

In Pitts he would be a GM but a #2 under Dubas.  So he gets a promotion in title, and most likely a raise, and it should be more responsibilities than he has in Seattle today.  

I guess it will all come down to how does Dubas view him. With Fenway and now Dubas in charge I don’t think any of the old Pens ties matter. I don’t see Botts, Karmanos or Ventura having any sort of inside track because they used to work for the old regime. I think the Leafs front office will have a better shot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I guess it will all come down to how does Dubas view him. With Fenway and now Dubas in charge I don’t think any of the old Pens ties matter. I don’t see Botts, Karmanos or Ventura having any sort of inside track because they used to work for the old regime. I think the Leafs front office will have a better shot.

I think it's probably Spezza. He resigned right after Dubas was out. He's obviously loyal to Dubas and I suspect Dubas will want "his people" under him. 

If Pittsburgh does hire JBot, it probably means Dubas has not got as much free reign and as long a leash as it appears. JBot, or any other old regime guy would be a spy or fly in the ointment ready to take over as an interim should Dubas get booted down the road. 

I was listening to Kypreos talking to MacLean on his podcast today and their view was that anything over 34 million for your top 4 puts you in a tough spot for building a team around them. If that's a valid number, it's easy to see why Toronto has a problem that can't be fixed without trading one of their big 4 away. 

Pittsburgh has 20 million in cap space but only 15 players signed. 

Sabres top line costs them 21 million and then Cozens adds another 7. Dahlin adds a wrinkle soon but at the moment, the top end is very affordable by NHL standards. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think it's probably Spezza. He resigned right after Dubas was out. He's obviously loyal to Dubas and I suspect Dubas will want "his people" under him. 

If Pittsburgh does hire JBot, it probably means Dubas has not got as much free reign and as long a leash as it appears. JBot, or any other old regime guy would be a spy or fly in the ointment ready to take over as an interim should Dubas get booted down the road. 

I was listening to Kypreos talking to MacLean on his podcast today and their view was that anything over 34 million for your top 4 puts you in a tough spot for building a team around them. If that's a valid number, it's easy to see why Toronto has a problem that can't be fixed without trading one of their big 4 away. 

Pittsburgh has 20 million in cap space but only 15 players signed. 

Sabres top line costs them 21 million and then Cozens adds another 7. Dahlin adds a wrinkle soon but at the moment, the top end is very affordable by NHL standards. 

I loved when Kypreos and MacLean were on Sportsnet. Always interesting talk and great stories.

For anyone who thinks GMs have all the power and make all the decisions, MacLean told a story once of when he was GM of the Blue Jackets. He was happy with his lineup and then the owner walked into his office and said “I need you to cut $10 million of the payroll by the end of the week. Don’t care who it is just get it done.” Had to move guys he didn’t want to and got crucified in the media and by the fanbase but he had no choice.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.