GDT: Big Bad Bruins at Sabres, 3-19-2023 1pm ESPN+, MSG

matter2003

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

VO sucks at every other aspect of the game. Can a marginal team with so many holes really afford to keep a player who only contributes in a limited role and who often goes long stretches without even doing that? I think it’s a fair question. 

Regarding the scapegoating, I can’t agree at all given those glaring holes elsewhere that I mentioned previously. 

What do 30 goal scorers usually fetch in a trade? Can VO honestly get us the going rate? 

VO can skate and score. He will be a 40 goal scorer next year.

The Sports Prophet.

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The collapse isn’t trivial because you are what your record is and there’s a fair few games left. The only fair measure of what the Sabres WERE this season is the full point total because the point total from 75% of the way through was earned, in some ways, through an over reliance on our top players due to lack of depth that was never sustainable 

these games are ALSO the 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres. 

The ONLY thing that matters is getting to the PLAYOFFS

Your rebuilding till you do

• Thanks (+1) 1

I know losing like this to the Bruins is gut-wrenching and brings out the poison in everyone, but I don't see it as dark as a lot of fans.

Yes, it's a young team and they had some good play for good stretches this season.  I feel things unraveled when Dahlin and Tuch got injured.  Then there was a rotation of injured players.  Took the confidence out of the team.  The D is a weakness along with goaltending and PK.  It all added up to this.  

For all the criticism, the Sabres are 3rd in scoring but have a -5 goal differential.  Once again, that is the story.  After this loss, the players got to know that the playoffs are a distant hope, and they have to loosen up again.  Next season they have to bring in a vet on both sides of the blue line who has some good playoff experience.

I leave it at that and go back to yelling at my TV!

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Because they are mostly in Black and Gold with B's?

Oh, yeah, that is not on the Sabres fans that are there.  

The poor attendance is 100% on Terry and Kim Pegula.  They are 100% the reason the team is looking at 12 years of play off drought. 

I have been to  4 home losses and 1 road win this year.  Have not seen a home win in 13 seasons, which was pre Pegula.  

Edited by Pimlach

3 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Wrong, just getting to the playoffs isn't good enough. If your not a cup contender its better to miss the playoffs so you can get great players through better draft picks.

Thats what was said all the time here when the Sabres were Tanking for Eichel...

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cheektorado said:

I know losing like this to the Bruins is gut-wrenching and brings out the poison in everyone, but I don't see it as dark as a lot of fans.

Yes, it's a young team and they had some good play for good stretches this season.  I feel things unraveled when Dahlin and Tuch got injured.  Then there was a rotation of injured players.  Took the confidence out of the team.  The D is a weakness along with goaltending and PK.  It all added up to this.  

For all the criticism, the Sabres are 3rd in scoring but have a -5 goal differential.  Once again, that is the story.  After this loss, the players got to know that the playoffs are a distant hope, and they have to loosen up again.  Next season they have to bring in a vet on both sides of the blue line who has some good playoff experience.

Fair points, all. Especially the Dahlin and Tuch injuries. Both still aren't at 100%. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Most likely, I was also going to say that I would complain about the fans being there for wanting to see this in person......

They went to see us crush the Bruins. Eternal optimism. But why complain? Maybe I’m missing you r point. No worries.

5 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

If it’s simply a “good, or not” switch that flips there’s no point in discussing anything. But that’s not the way it actually is. 

OF COURSE how we finish the last 25% of the season matters in terms of the analysis of said season 

ESPECIALLY in an evaluation year

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

Uhhh, and jeopardize the FUTURE?! Fat chance buddy

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I would rather believe it is the lack of support by the Front Office not wanting to risk losing precious Picks and prospects, or deviating from the 'Future' plan by showing faith in this group that they could make the playoffs with a bit of help.....

Instead of rewarding this group with getting further then people believed and being in a position to make the playoffs, they are told the future is more important and that just making the playoffs isn't going to help their development.....

Doesn't work: this team played well until the GTG against Washington.  Many players need to learn playoff-level mental toughness.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.