How bad is Casey Mittelstadt?

dudacek

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

I watched the Tage Thompson “Mic’d Up” feature on the Sabres website and bad player or not, it’s obvious that Mitts is one of those glue guys on the team which is not an unimportant role. I think it helps explain DG’s loyalty and patience with him as well. 

He is.  He's apparently very close with Cozens and Dahlin.  There is a Sabres video about Mitts, Bryson, Dahlin and Cozens hanging out together.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Just curious, do players have their own rooms on the road or do they double up? 

Sometimes it's 4 to a double. 

1 minute ago, ... said:

Sometimes it's 4 to a double. 

Just kidding. Really, sometimes it's 3 to a single. It's how they afford t-shirt cannons.

Edited by ...
  • Haha (+1) 3

The guy seems snakebit. Or a nervous wreck.

He hustles but always seems to have the puck jump off his stick and lose control. I actually feel for him. Presses and gets caught a lot, resulting in a bad +/- standing. I don't dislike him but he may need a change of scenery for his own psyche. Looks totally frustrated many nights. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

My understanding is they double but I'm gonna guess some guys get single rooms. 

The kids double, but the vets are contractually mandated by the CBA to get their own rooms if theywant.

Not sure how many games or what age qualifies you for the perk.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

This seems like a team where they want to be together and hang out so I have no doubt they all have roommates on the road. 

Whatever system they use keep it up. They are Road Warriors this season.

I understand it is triple decker bunk beds and everybody has to wear footie pajamas.

4 hours ago, Night Train said:

The guy seems snakebit. Or a nervous wreck.

He hustles but always seems to have the puck jump off his stick and lose control. I actually feel for him. Presses and gets caught a lot, resulting in a bad +/- standing. I don't dislike him but he may need a change of scenery for his own psyche. Looks totally frustrated many nights. 

I think he's been given a change of scenery within the Sabres org.  He's been given a new role with little pressure to score (but if it comes that's great), isn't expected to drive play (but he does at times), is no longer considered a 1/2C (he went into last season expecting to be 1C until he was injured and Tage emerged).  The pressure's off and he's just playing and really playing pretty well.  I'm not worried about the goals; I think his value is more predicated on simply tilting the ice away from the Sabres goal and he is part of a line that does that pretty well.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Agree 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:39 AM, IKnowPhysics said:

Over the past ten games, the stats indicate that Mittelstadt, et al, is producing offense (CF/60, GF/60, etc) at a 2nd line-like rate, which is fantastic.  ...quality hockey from the "bottom six" like this helps take pressure off the kids.

A little more on this.  For all NHL forwards with 10GP:

Top 96 (3 x 32) forwards in P/GP score 0.77P/GP or more.  Middle of ths range would be rank 48th.  This includes:

• Thompson 1.42 (6th)
  • Tuch 1.13 (23rd)
  • Skinner 1.11 (25th)
  • Cozens 0.90 (57th)

Top 192 (6 x 32) forwards in P/GP score 0.49P/GP or more.  Middle of this range would be rank 144th.  This includes:

• Olofsson 0.60 (147th)
  • Mittelstadt 0.58 (152nd)

Top 288 (9 x 32) forwards in P/GP score 0.35P/GP or more.  Middle of this rank would be 240th.  This includes:

• Quinn 0.46 (210th)
  • Okposo 0.46 (210th)
  • Hinostroza 0.42 (239th)
  • Peterka 0.41 (244th)
  • Jost 0.40 (280th)

Asplund 0.32, Krebs 0.30, and Girgensens 0.22 round out the Sabres forwards.

Summary: Production wise, we have three exceptional first liners plus a standard 1st line center in Cozens (this is brilliantly good).  Olofsson and Mittelstadt produce like standard 2nd liners (also amazing considering the struggle over the season).  Not counting Vinny, we have three average-to-good third line-like production in Quinn, Okposo, and JJ.

It's no shock that Quinn and Peterka need veteran support to develop, but they way Cozens, Mittelstadt, and Olofsson are producing underneath the top line is definitely helping get the team wins and taking the pressure off of them. 

• Like (+1) 6

26 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

A little more on this.  For all NHL forwards with 10GP:

Top 96 (3 x 32) forwards in P/GP score 0.77P/GP or more.  Middle of ths range would be rank 48th.  This includes:

• Thompson 1.42 (6th)
  • Tuch 1.13 (23rd)
  • Skinner 1.11 (25th)
  • Cozens 0.90 (57th)

Top 192 (6 x 32) forwards in P/GP score 0.49P/GP or more.  Middle of this range would be rank 144th.  This includes:

• Olofsson 0.60 (147th)
  • Mittelstadt 0.58 (152nd)

Top 288 (9 x 32) forwards in P/GP score 0.35P/GP or more.  Middle of this rank would be 240th.  This includes:

• Quinn 0.46 (210th)
  • Okposo 0.46 (210th)
  • Hinostroza 0.42 (239th)
  • Peterka 0.41 (244th)
  • Jost 0.40 (280th)

Asplund 0.32, Krebs 0.30, and Girgensens 0.22 round out the Sabres forwards.

Summary: Production wise, we have three exceptional first liners plus a standard 1st line center in Cozens (this is brilliantly good).  Olofsson and Mittelstadt produce like standard 2nd liners (also amazing considering the struggle over the season).  Not counting Vinny, we have three average-to-good third line-like production in Quinn, Okposo, and JJ.

It's no shock that Quinn and Peterka need veteran support to develop, but they way Cozens, Mittelstadt, and Olofsson are producing underneath the top line is definitely helping get the team wins and taking the pressure off of them. 

Excellent analysis. I wouldn't be surprised if Quinn and Peterka make strides this season. And next season I'm expecting much more from them. It's part of the growing process. 

Do with this what you will.. Personally after being completely done with Mitts early in the season, I’m starting to embrace him as a key middle 6 piece for the team moving forward. 

Mitts production regresses to the mean as his recent on-ice efforts start to turn into on-ice results, being a key piece to the playoff charge? I’m here for that vibe 

BECD10DB-6F1B-4CA2-89A9-96A79C364E00.jpeg

AD539FD2-4868-4500-BEC0-37E6BEE09812.jpeg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.