OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

Locals news at Stadium this morning saying there is roughly 3 feet of snow in that area. Many parking lots aren't plowed. A logistics issue for parking today. Plus many seats still buried in snow. Clean off or stand. Freezing outside. Temp around 18 degrees with some wind. -2 Windchill. 

North of Buffalo (Tonawanda), I barely got touched. My first snow of the year and it took just a few minutes to clear off the snow from the cars. Not the heavy wet stuff at all. Cleanup was 10 minutes.  Seems like we got the least amount of troublesome weather.  Some ice that needed the salt. Wind was howling for 2 days and the worry was falling branches from trees. Now gone. 

We didn't get the sleet and freezing rain they predicted in north Texas; we got about a half inch of snow.

In Texas that must means the ice is delayed by a day.  The way it works is the highways won't be plowed or salted, but traffic on the snow will melt it, then it will freeze overnight and be very slick in the morning. 

We got down to 10 degrees here.  Not as bad as some cities I know, but still pretty cold.  They're predicting it will stay below freezing until Wednesday.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

CO2 in the atmosphere is at 0.04%. Humans contribute somewhere in the vicinity about 1-3% of that. I’m not denying climate change. The climate has changed always over the course of this planet. With and without human activity. What I do know about climate change is that its a wonderful opportunity for a small percentage of humans and most gov’ts to capitalize on and make boatloads of money. All they need is for humans to buy in. This is where the disinformation and fear plays a big role. We can all do better personally to make the planet a better place. Hoping for honesty out of politicians and scientists who’s money dries up if they don’t tow the line and sow the fear is a fools game. Just my two cents. 

There’s even more money to be made by denying it.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SwampD said:

There’s even more money to be made by denying it.

Not to mention the fact that the 0.04% (412PPM - parts per million - is a better measure) is a very recent development.  Over the course of about 4 billion years the CO2 levelled off at a defining point when it settled at about 280PPM - when life started.  It was at that level or thereabouts until the start of the Industrial Age.  In 2000 it was about 370PPM.  There is something going on here that is outside of the normal and natural ebs and flows.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Night Train said:

Locals news at Stadium this morning saying there is roughly 3 feet of snow in that area. Many parking lots aren't plowed. A logistics issue for parking today. Plus many seats still buried in snow. Clean off or stand. Freezing outside. Temp around 18 degrees with some wind. -2 Windchill. 

North of Buffalo (Tonawanda), I barely got touched. My first snow of the year and it took just a few minutes to clear off the snow from the cars. Not the heavy wet stuff at all. Cleanup was 10 minutes.  Seems like we got the least amount of troublesome weather.  Some ice that needed the salt. Wind was howling for 2 days and the worry was falling branches from trees. Now gone. 

Yup, they got nailed. Hamburg was the big "winner" with 41.3 inches. OP got 36-40" depending on where. In my area in Depew/Lancaster we got 30", most of it coming from 4pm yesterday thru overnight hours. Made it look like I didn't even snow blow yesterday. Car looked like a shapeless blob with the snow on top

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Night Train said:

Wow. Didn't see Texas ever getting that cold. 

Texas had a real bad cold snap a few years ago when people ended up paying crazy heating bills since the demand spiked and the cost skyrocketed. People were getting 10K heating bills for the month or more because a bunch of pipes froze.

Worst part is they were warned at least a decade ago this was an issue when it happened then during a cold snap but they did almost nothing to address it during the time in between.

Edited by Big Guava
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Not to mention the fact that the 0.04% (412PPM - parts per million - is a better measure) is a very recent development.  Over the course of about 4 billion years the CO2 levelled off at a defining point when it settled at about 280PPM - when life started.  It was at that level or thereabouts until the start of the Industrial Age.  In 2000 it was about 370PPM.  There is something going on here that is outside of the normal and natural ebs and flows.

It's no coincidence that wilder and wilder weather keeps happening, sometimes all at once.  This is not "normal" stuff happening.

A hurricane shouldn't ever go from a tropical storm to a Cat 5 hurricane in 12 hours. That's insanity.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I decided to commute home from work at noon today to avoid any mess should that snow band decide to migrate back south while I am at work.

Commercial traffic on I-90 is banned from Rochester to the PA line west due to the weather.  I passed 4 semis pulled over westbound on my ride home.  And a 5th was on the shoulder and appeared to be unoccupied.

I have to think driving a truck on a roadway with an active ban risks losing your class 1 license.

On 1/15/2024 at 3:31 PM, Big Guava said:

It's no coincidence that wilder and wilder weather keeps happening, sometimes all at once.  This is not "normal" stuff happening.

A hurricane shouldn't ever go from a tropical storm to a Cat 5 hurricane in 12 hours. That's insanity.

Or a Cat1 forming over a Great Lake, like it almost did over Lake Erie.

And speaking of snow and Lake Erie, what is driving these massive snow events?

Screenshot_2024-01-17-12-59-02-67_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.thumb.jpg.50dc030f311c739d4d4a05c693ed611e.jpg

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 1/17/2024 at 12:54 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Or a Cat1 forming over a Great Lake, like it almost did over Lake Erie.

And speaking of snow and Lake Erie, what is driving these massive snow events?

Screenshot_2024-01-17-12-59-02-67_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.thumb.jpg.50dc030f311c739d4d4a05c693ed611e.jpg

Yes,the common denominator over the last 8 years when we have had 3 massive events of 6-7 feet has been record warm lake temps.

Also the blizzard last year, which is widely considered the worst blizzard in US history in terms of duration, snowfall and sustained winds had the lowest pressure ever recorded with a land system and brought winds that peaked at 80 mph here.

It was the only time in my life I was literally so scared that I stayed up all night because the house was making strange creaking, groaning noises that I never heard before and I was afraid it was going to come down 

Edited by Big Guava

I got a good amount of snow North of Buffalo and it was less than basically all the surrounding areas. Spent a while this morning plowing the property but it wasn't a strain at all. 

Humble tip of the hat to my fellow WNY neighbors that had it FAR worse than me. Some of that film on the news is crazy when showing the snow amounts. 

When I was a kid my cousins used to love the snow in Elma.

They said it was great until the lake froze over and there was no moisture from it so snow was minimal.

When was the last time Lake Erie froze ?  I am guessing maybe 10 years ago.  No freeze = more snow in Buffalo and area.

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

When I was a kid my cousins used to love the snow in Elma.

They said it was great until the lake froze over and there was no moisture from it so snow was minimal.

When was the last time Lake Erie froze ?  I am guessing maybe 10 years ago.  No freeze = more snow in Buffalo and area.

It freezes most years.  That's why lake effect snow is usually early in the season.

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

(The question is how much of the surface area of the lake freezes.)

150218-lakeerie-editorial.thumb.jpg.12dd6a6d5377a16328da7ff9be427be9.jpg

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/149438/a-lake-in-winter#:~:text=As the shallowest of the,but also day to day.

As the shallowest of the Great Lakes, Erie has the highest annual maximum ice cover, regularly reaching more than 80 percent. Three times in the past half century Lake Erie reached 100 percent ice cover: 1978, 1979, and 1996.

I thought it also froze just a few years ago during that last "polar vortex." Guess not.

Edited by SwampD

On 1/15/2024 at 9:25 AM, Night Train said:

Up here in northern Niagara county (Lewiston/Youngstown area) the roads were dry for the most part and you could see the grass.  Last night and this morning, we are getting our first measurable snowfall of the year, probably have 3-4 total inches on the picnic table still out in the backyard.

I think if the Stadium would have been build in Niagara County, these issues wouldn't be here.  Not that I want the Stadium near where i live...logistically I prefer it is miles and miles away (I don't go to many/any games anymore), but there is a lot of open, cheap land right off the highway Between Grand Island and the Canadian border. But, its going to be in Orchard Park...it is what it is.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

(The question is how much of the surface area of the lake freezes.)

150218-lakeerie-editorial.thumb.jpg.12dd6a6d5377a16328da7ff9be427be9.jpg

Probably not much.  It was at 42 degrees just before the lake snow started, record warm temp for this time of year.  Still at 37 degrees even after this week+ of cold air.

Temps rebounding back into the 40s again next week.

Wouldn't be surprised to see under 20% ice cover,

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.