Expectations for 2022/23: where you stand on this roster heading in to the season

dudacek

Expectations for the Sabres this season  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes how you think the Sabres will perform this year?

• More than 100 points and a playoff appearance
    • Somewhere around 90-plus points and a chance for the playoff bubble
    • A modest improvement to between 80 and 90 points
    • A general repeat of last year with between 70 and 80 points
    • They will be among the league's cellar-dwellers and part of the lottery conversation

29 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

To clarify, I'm not worried about Power cracking long term. In time he will be a very good D man, the question is only what happens short term if he hits a bump or struggles. Dahlin had his ups and downs as you know, and many people questioned his true value as a #1 overall. imo we did not develop him well and threw too much at him too quickly. He might have it sorted now, but I think it stunted his development a little and he still has some bad habits that I hope he's going to have gotten over this year. The question is who do we go to if Power hits a rough patch. 

Not about Dahlin in particular (Coaching certainly was an issue with his development IMO), but I am of an opinion that ups and downs are inevitable with new players and rather than stunting development, they are necessary for development. 

I don’t think you need to avoid ups and downs if you are developing players, you need to ensure they happen in appropriate amounts and leverage them for improvement.

I’d rather Quinn and Power make their mistakes now rather than later in order to accelerate their development.

It’s the USNDP method that has proven to be extraordinarily successful.

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Point leaders prediction:

1 Dahlin

2 Thompson

3 Olofsson

4 Skinner

5 Tuch

6 Cozens

Thread topic maybe?

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not about Dahlin in particular (Coaching certainly was an issue with his development IMO), but I am of an opinion that ups and downs are inevitable with new players and rather than stunting development, they are necessary for development.

I don’t think you need to avoid ups and downs if you are developing players, you need to ensure they happen in appropriate amounts and leverage them for improvement.

Thread topics maybe?

Not exactly off topic.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

To clarify, I'm not worried about Power cracking long term. In time he will be a very good D man, the question is only what happens short term if he hits a bump or struggles. Dahlin had his ups and downs as you know, and many people questioned his true value as a #1 overall. imo we did not develop him well and threw too much at him too quickly. He might have it sorted now, but I think it stunted his development a little and he still has some bad habits that I hope he's going to have gotten over this year. The question is who do we go to if Power hits a rough patch. 

Good question about the rough patch, but expect the answer will be to let him power through it.

At most all his stops except Buffalo, they've sheltered him at first, briefly, but he's simply played his way into bigger roles.  Just don't see him having a huge questioning himself spell but could see him run on fumes towards the end of the year.  And expect that having Dahlin on the roster will be a great asset for him to battle through it (you thought it'd be power through it again, didn't you, kind reader 😉 ) so not expecting him to seem as weary towards the end of the season as Ras tended to (Ras' support wasn't nearly at the level Power should wind up with) his 1st couple of years.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’d rather Quinn and Power make their mistakes now rather than later in order to accelerate their development.

It’s the USNDP method that has proven to be extraordinarily successful.

To the first sentence, I definitely agree. The ups and downs are inevitable and to some extent necessary. 

To the second, it's not about "avoiding" them but about how you deal with them when it happens. The words "appropriate amounts" is the key. The risk imo is too many mistakes leading to too many losses and that idea of the team winning gets lost. Also they can lose confidence or blame team mates or develop bad habits. All depends on their individual personalities and the team culture. 

I guess my worry, if it's not obvious yet, is breaking the fragile culture that they are trying to build and creating another round of losing acceptability. I disagree with the speed of this build. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Good question about the rough patch, but expect the answer will be to let him power through it.

At most all his stops except Buffalo, they've sheltered him at first, briefly, but he's simply played his way into bigger roles.  Just don't see him having a huge questioning himself spell but could see him run on fumes towards the end of the year.  And expect that having Dahlin on the roster will be a great asset for him to battle through it (you thought it'd be power through it again, didn't you, kind reader 😉 ) so not expecting him to seem as weary towards the end of the season as Ras tended to (Ras' support wasn't nearly at the level Power should wind up with) his 1st couple of years.

I agree with you, and I don't think he really will have any huge issues. If the team loses again however that might change. 

I just really wish we had a good goalie. When a young D man makes an error he needs that last line of defense to bail him out and if the errors are costing goals and thus losses he might start to second guess himself and take that backwards step. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2022 at 1:07 PM, Thorny said:

Point leaders prediction:

1 Dahlin

2 Thompson

3 Olofsson

4 Skinner

5 Tuch

6 Cozens

This is ok so far aside from one glaring error

actual

thompson

dahlin

skinner

tuch

cozens

Edited by Thorny

On 10/10/2022 at 3:55 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is a younger, deeper and more talented team.  They will score more than they did last year and if they can stop of puck, they should jump in the standings.

Goaltending is still a big a question mark and the 3rd D pairing is suspect.  Those factors could keep this team from playoff contention.

Nailed it.  Sorry!

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 months later...
34 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I knew I made this post. Thanks for reminding me @LGR4GM

Easy money. Just bet it and forget it. 

This was a good thread to bring up.  The Sabres were more-or-less where people expected them to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.