GDT Preseason: Sabres @ Penguins 10/7/2022, 7pm, MSG (Pens Broadcast), WGR

LGR4GM

15 minutes ago, Stads said:

I haven't been able to watch. Is this a poor Comrie performance or is the mostly AHL defense hanging him out to dry?

Hard to say if Comrie is playing poorly or not.  2 goals were off awful turnovers.  One was a PP from Crosby.  One was a deflection off Peterka with Krebs sitting an awesome screen.  Can't recall the other one from the 1st period.

Sabres 3rd-5th pairings & 2nd-5th lines (minus Okposo) can't compete w/ the 90% Pens squad.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Stads said:

I haven't been able to watch. Is this a poor Comrie performance or is the mostly AHL defense hanging him out to dry?

It’s this stupid organization putting their FA goalie in net behind 6 defenders who shouldn’t be in the the NHL including Bryson and Lyubishkin.  They stink.  I said before this game even started that they were throwing Comrie to the wolves for a second time in preseason and I was correct.  He has had no chance on any of the goals.  Flat out stupid lineup decisions tonight.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

There's more to prove in the AHL. Defensive positioning, being the go-to guy on the top line (no Quinn), and consistency across the board. He'll get there. 

Hino had a horrible turnover in the first, but I think Comrie can prevent that reversal to Crosby by yelling at Hino where to go. Hino can float the lineup where needed. Right now I think he's the 12, Sheahan is the vet 13 who can play any position, and JJP gets to go be a top line forward in Rochester and skate 19+ minutes/night. He'll be fine.

Peterka was the go to guy in the playoffs last year. 

It took Him until November or December until He became comfortable at the AHL Level and once He did, He was one of the dominant players on the ice, particularly when Quinn was hurt.  Peca and Appert both raved about how He became an all around player. 

Much like it took Him time to adjust to the AHL, it can be expected His adjustment period to the NHL a will be similar. 
Adams mentioned that they will look at a players body of work when deciding between Buffalo or Rochester. 

Peterka’s Body of Work should qualify Him to start in Buffalo, if He is still struggling after 15 games, then send Him down. 
The best way to learn the NHL Game is to play in the NHL 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I know Comrie has been left out to dry, but he still doesn't look good.

He seems to watch the puck a little to much, not much awareness of who is around him that might get the puck passed to them and then score.

Also seems to be knees down on the ice far to often, shouldn't he only be on his knees when he is expecting a shot to come through? He keeps shuffling around back and forth down on his knees instead of on his skates, which is going to make him slower to get over to the other side of the net.

I dunno he might be serviceable but he ain't blowing me away so far that is for sure. Maybe he will look a lot better with sound defense, maybe he is over-playing the puck because he knows he has pretty much zero help.

Guess we will see when the regular season starts, definitely will have the starting d-man in front of him then.

Edited by FanaticSense06
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

THE GAME.

It's a 6-1 cakewalk preseason game. It's boring from their POV. They're just praying no one gets hurt.

Every one of these AHL defensemen is <6' and 185#. They're going to have to possess the puck better and make very quick and decisive passes to break the forecheck even in Rochester this year. Because otherwise they're going to get hunted down and destroyed. All the size on defense on this roster is in the top 4.

Again Comrie down on his knees way to quick on that goal. He needs to stay on his feet until the shot is about to come at least to make it seem like you might guard up high. Good players that can put it off the crossbar will just score on you every time bro.

Yikes.

Edited by FanaticSense06

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

.810 Sv% is not gonna get it done.  You can say it wasn't the top D, but it isn't like Comrie got shelled in either game he played.  He faced an average of 29 shots/game in the two games he played.

It wasn’t the number of shots, it’s the quality shots that killed tonight.  For example the first 2 goals tonight were defensive breakdowns and he was hung out to dry.  No one would have stopped those.  Hard to know if Comrie isn’t up to the task if he doesn’t get to play behind real NHL D.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.