Eastern Conference Semifinals: Ottawa (1) vs. Buffalo (4)

Eleven

Carolina just won, so the Sabres will play at ottawa sometime this weekend. Devils play the hurricanes in the other semifinals series. Fill this thread up with links and such so we don't clutter the board with "ottawa this" "ottawa that" threads. Look for a friday/monday games 1 and 2 in ottawa.

i am soooo happy for this team, organization, community, the Ruff family, etc....we have accomplished so much and deserve a couple nights to sit back and reflect on how successful this season has been....

THAT said, I hope that just because we beat the Flyers everyone still has their expectations in check. This is a tough, tough team that we are playing in the next round. Personally, I love the experience that we have gained and have nothing but hope for the next round, but if we do lose this round I can not be remotely disappointed. We are plying a mirror reflection of ourselves except they have several years experience playing together. Either way, let's go Sabes!

I'm glad we've got Ottawa rather than New Jersey. Of course Ottawa is a very talented team, but Buffalo matches up better against them than against the Devils.

New Jersey is riding an incredible winning streak after closing out the regular season on a tear and then sweeping the Rangers. Brodeur's playoff exploits are legendary, and the Gianta line is amazing. I know Ottawa's Heatley line is great too (and so is Chara), but Buffalo is better equipped to match up against them. Regardless of injuries, the late season wins against Ottawa are a big confidence boost for this team. Plus, when's the last time Buffalo won in NJ?

Neither series would be easy, but I like Buffalo's chances a lot better against the Sens. Let Round 2 begin! :D

Even if Hasek were 100% healthy, I'm not sure if Murray would start him. Emery has been capable thus far in the playoffs, and the team has confidence in him.

Here's hoping that Ray plays the role of Steve Shields and comes out victorious in this Sabres-Senators series.

I'm glad we've got Ottawa rather than New Jersey. Of course Ottawa is a very talented team, but Buffalo matches up better against them than against the Devils.

New Jersey is riding an incredible winning streak after closing out the regular season on a tear and then sweeping the Rangers. Brodeur's playoff exploits are legendary, and the Gianta line is amazing. I know Ottawa's Heatley line is great too (and so is Chara), but Buffalo is better equipped to match up against them. Regardless of injuries, the late season wins against Ottawa are a big confidence boost for this team. Plus, when's the last time Buffalo won in NJ?

Neither series would be easy, but I like Buffalo's chances a lot better against the Sens. Let Round 2 begin! :D

I disagree. While NJ did put a good winning streak together to end the season, I think their first round performance was skewed. Lundqvist looked nowhere near 100% and the Rangers were lost without Jagr. Regardless of how many games he was on the ice for, he was really only there for the first game.

I disagree. While NJ did put a good winning streak together to end the season, I think their first round performance was skewed. Lundqvist looked nowhere near 100% and the Rangers were lost without Jagr. Regardless of how many games he was on the ice for, he was really only there for the first game.

Agreed.

Just some (probably) delusional ramblings. Certainly there have to be more reasons to be pessimistic. Anyone?

Reasons to be optimistic:

1. The Sabres got the Senator monkey off their back late in the regular season, beating them in Buffalo, then in Kanata. But remember the Senators were shorthanded. Still...

2. The goaltending matchup. Emery has been fine, but he?s no Dominik Hasek in his prime. If Ryan Miller?s performances with the Philly series on the line are any indication of how he will play against Ottawa, look out. He will need to be spectacular more often though, and we saw only glimpses of Ryan?s ability to do that against Philly. Miller is still very much untested in this regard.

3. Starting on the road. I?ve always liked it. Steal one and you?re in great shape coming home for three of four.

4. You get the feeling the Senators are ripe for the picking. Many of their fans are disappointed in the matchup with Buffalo, but not because they fear the Sabres -- because they wanted Munreal, their big rival. Not that the fans matter, but perhaps it?s indicative a bit of the team?s mindset. There was a quote in the paper today from John Muckler and coach Brian Murray talking about how important it was to finish so well in the regular season standings because now that Detroit and Dallas are out, the Senators would have home ice in the finals. Whoahhh, Nellie! Not so fast there, tigers.

5. The Sabres don?t have to feel like the underdogs. Hell, they finished only three points back of the Senators. But if they are the underdogs, it might be to their psychological advantage.

6. Coaching. Lindy Ruff vs. Brian Murray. Don?t know much about Murray, but Ruff takes a back seat to no one.

7. History: The Sabres franchise is 2-0 in the last 10 years against the Senators. Seems meaningless, but maybe as that history is reported and remembered, it gets in the Sens? heads a hit.

8. Although the Sens have two great lines, the Sabres have more depth. Who are the Sabres' top two lines anyway? Vaclav Varada anyone?

Reasons to be pessimistic:

1. Starting Friday. It?s a tough break that the series didn?t start Saturday. I guess the Sabres could use their fireball momentum and catch the rested Sens napping, but it seems more likely it?s going to be a handicap for Game 1. The Sabres are understandably in decompress mode today, enjoying their victory over Philly. Tomorrow they travel and Friday they play. It will be tough.

2. I wonder if Ottawa is still in the Sabres? heads. The two wins late in the year came with Chara, Redden, Havlat and others out. When push came to shove, the Senators dismantled the Sabres in that game where the Sabres could have closed to within a point or actually taken the division lead, I forget which.

3. ?????

Agreed.

I agree with you that the Rangers were weak in the playoffs, especially their goaltending. I was just saying that the Devils are the hotter team right now, their goaltending is superior to Ottawa's (at least with Emery in net), and we have a better shot at winning a game or two in Ottawa than we would in the Meadowlands.

This will still be a very tough series for the Sabres, especially if they cannot steal one of the 1st two games.

Just your average sens troll here! Looking forward to a great Series between to speeds with a plethora of speed and skill, hopefully or defense does not look as terrible and immobile as you guys' made phillie's look! Few bones to pick!

8. Although the Sens have two great lines, the Sabres have more depth. Who are the Sabres' top two lines anyway? Vaclav Varada anyone?

I agree that Buffalo has a ton of depth, more than most teams in the NHL... But the key to the Sens this year is just that - with a 20 goal scorer on each line their depth is tops in the league, Antoinne Vermette Anyone???

Every team has a guy like Vaclav Varada that just sorta floats, gains the odd point, and likes to hit everything that moves.

Vaclav Varada

76gp 5goals 16assists 21points 50pim

Paul Gaustad

78gp 9goals 15assists 24points 65pim

Pretty similar if you ask me

1. The Sabres got the Senator monkey off their back late in the regular season, beating them in Buffalo, then in Kanata. But remember the Senators were shorthanded. Still...

This next point will make me sound like a huge homer, and i apologize for it, but yes i agree that the sabers got the senators monkey off their back late in the season - but can they get martin Havlat out of their head? in the Three games Marty played against the sabers he scored 5 goals and the Sens won by a combined score of 21-5

With all that said - i think this one is going to Seven, and i look forward to what may be the most entertaining Series of this years playoffs! Good luck! (but not too much luck)