Update On New Sabres Uni

CallawaySabres

Like I said before, they wanted the new duds prior to this season but they were put on hold by the NHL apparently because of the whole Reebok template jersey plan which thankfully was dropped.

I'm told the new uniforms are basically complete and that there was only minor tweeking left. The jerseys -- as I was told also -- will pay tribute to the tradition of blue and gold with a more modern, sleek feel.

Yeah, it's not an 'if' anymore and it's hardly a 'when' either. There's a 99% chance the Sabres will be in new uniforms to start next season. They are going to be very similar to the St. Louis Rams colors with a modernized logo and will be debuted over the summer.

Yeah, it's not an 'if' anymore and it's hardly a 'when' either. There's a 99% chance the Sabres will be in new uniforms to start next season. They are going to be very similar to the St. Louis Rams colors with a modernized logo and will be debuted over the summer.

Bummer, I don't like the dark gold of the Rams unis for the Sabres. Would prefer more of a yellow gold like the old one.

They should have just made a Blue and Gold Alternate....

Then they would have satisfied the fans that like the black and red along with the blue and gold...

Everyone wins...

Simple....

Plus you don't have to discount the Jerseys that are out right now, you can continue to sell them ALONG with the new jerseys

Bummer, I don't like the dark gold of the Rams unis for the Sabres. Would prefer more of a yellow gold like the old one.

I agree, but what are you going to do.

I've never understood why they don't just make a few different prototypes and let the fans vote. The jesrey is essentially a product and a marketing tool, treat it like one and make sure people like it before putting it out there for good.

C'mon. everyone knows the true hardcore fans sat in the upper blue seats, under the oranges. :D Life was cush up there...hard wooden slat seats so your @ss would fall asleep by the first intermission...no view of the scoreboard, with the time/penalties/score/etc. to distract you from the actual game....and last but not least, closed circuit black and white TV's, guaranteed to be grainy and blurry enough to give you a headache. Man it sucked if you were on the opposite side of the camera. The play on the ice would be going one way and the play on the screen would be going the other. No therapy in the world can correct the mental damage.

What a flashback! How many others remember sitting in the Aud "greys" with their fathers?

Shrader...I agree that money rules everything now, but I feel like you do gain something by changing subtle items such as seat colors and goal lights. In today's world of sports, with soooo much coverage, it feels like it's getting harder and harder to stand out with unique items. Part of the reason I've never been too happy with the current uniforms is that they're pretty non-destinct. Buffalo uses the same color scheme as Carolina and Chicago and New Jersey and Ottawa and Calgary and when they're home, they don't look all that different from Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Philly, all whom primarily wear black, with some other accents tossed in.

A big part of the reason I feel that a jersey/color/logo change is warranted is simply because these jerseys were designed with the mindset that the White jerseys (which are significantly better) would be primarily worn at home, in front of the biggest purchasing market. The black jerseys are boring and bland and thank goodness we won't have to see them anymore after this season.

I would rather the NHL go back to wearing white at home, simply because it's more interesting for the fans. The dark jerseys tend to be more non-descript, while the whites look crisper. Also, it's alot more interesting for fans to get to see different colored road teams, rather than every night watching the Sabres wear black and the road team where white. There ends up being no color unless the home jerseys are something other than black...like Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, NY.

The easiest fix to this problem would be to go back to wearing white at home, and regulate that 3rd jerseys be a "lighter color". If you have the Bruins wearing their alternate gold jerseys with the bear head, the Sabres could still wear their road blacks and it wouldn't make any difference. If a team's 3rd jersey would match up too closely to the visiting team's road colors, then too bad for the home team...they have to wear their whites. This dilemma would honestly only happen a few times a season.

The easiest fix to this problem would be to go back to wearing white at home, and regulate that 3rd jerseys be a "lighter color". If you have the Bruins wearing their alternate gold jerseys with the bear head, the Sabres could still wear their road blacks and it wouldn't make any difference. If a team's 3rd jersey would match up too closely to the visiting team's road colors, then too bad for the home team...they have to wear their whites. This dilemma would honestly only happen a few times a season.

Actually, since the league is concerned that the home fans won't get to see the "dark 3rds", why not have teams wear white at home most months, but during some month (January perhaps) have teams wear their dark 3rds at home and have the road teams carry their whites with them. The league claims the issue is that they don't want to make teams on road trips carry 2 sets of unis with them. This would solve that issue. (Also, didn't the league did something similar to this in either the league's 75th season or the SC's 100th, so it's not like it is unprecedented?)

Another option, which the league probably would like, is allow teams to wear 4th sweaters which are light to wear as alternates to their home whites. This way the fans still get to see other teams "colors" and the teams get to sell an additional merchandise item. The league could still have designated "reverse nights" so that teams can arrange their travel so that they don't carry 2 sets of everything, IF the league insisted home fans get to see the 3rds (and road darks for that matter).

I know a case could be made that that is too many sweaters and unis, but the league already has some teams with 4 because some teams use a throwback. How about you give teams an option of white 4th or vintage throwback. Combine that with swapping the lights and darks for a couple of weeks or a month, and then everyone SHOULD be happy. The fans get what (I think) most of them want - white home unis typically. The trainers get what they want - no double packing unis. The league gets what it wants - $$$.

I say the Sabres screw HSBC arena and go back to playing in the Aud, then they could wear the old Blue and Gold uni's, bring Lafontaine, Hawerchuck, Fuhr, and all the rest of the classic Sabres back to play for them and we can go back to living in the past.

I realize no one likes change and everyone wants it to go back to the way things used to be, but they will not just go back to the old identical uni's because some older fans feel that its the true Sabres. If they go back to Blue and gold it will be tweaked so that it can be marketed better and not to just the old fans, to new ones too.

I agree. There's no way they should go back to the old uniforms or even the old unifroms slightly-tweaked. The design was staid and out-dated 5 years before they were abandoned. Sorry, but, this is a bit of an outsider's perspective on this as I wasn't a fan until after the Blue and Gold were retired. When I look at old footage of the Sabres from the early 90's the blandness of the uniform design really sticks out. It just screams 1970's.

For better or worse, the Sabres look like a modern team on the ice. My big complaint is that there are no less than four teams in the league with the same color scheme and that needs to change.

So, while it's too bad that the Celsuis Designs are out, I think as well, throwing out the Angry Goat Head is a mistake. A lot of great things have happened with that logo as has been pointed out in previously and I think discarding it is like discarding a much of that recent history.

Bright primary colors are really hard to take seriously as the basis for an entire uniform, I think. There's a reason why men don't give speeches in bright red or blue. Carolina and Phoenix, all in red, just look goofy and fat. I'm not quite sure how the Maple Buds get away with their outfits, but they seem to.

So, what I'd like to see is a more muted blue as the basis of the jersey than the old ones. More navy than royal blue... more Isles than Maple Leafs. The yellow would have to be toned down as well. It's just hard to take someone seriously who'd dressed in a bright blue suit.

Keep the AGH as a shoulder patch and as the main logo for the inevitable 3rd jersey.

Ta,

The Black Silver and red need to go away ASAP, and never return even as a throwback. That was the crappiest uniform design in modern history only to be matched by the Bills a few years later.

I want a modernized gold and blue jersey, and it looks like the Sabres are going to oblige.

and all I can say is about time... I only sent them 100 emails bitching about the embarassment.

I'll never forget how hard my heart dropped when they did the unveilin of the new unis.... I was stunned and I never recoverd.

I say the Sabres screw HSBC arena and go back to playing in the Aud, then they could wear the old Blue and Gold uni's, bring Lafontaine, Hawerchuck, Fuhr, and all the rest of the classic Sabres back to play for them and we can go back to living in the past.

I realize no one likes change and everyone wants it to go back to the way things used to be, but they will not just go back to the old identical uni's because some older fans feel that its the true Sabres. If they go back to Blue and gold it will be tweaked so that it can be marketed better and not to just the old fans, to new ones too. Its all about making money, and that is the major reason alot of teams redo logos and jerseys (or even the reason for the creation of the third jersey) Its to make more money selling merchandise. I could care less what the team is wearing on the ice, as long as the product they put on the ice is good

First off, I am all for switching the unis to some form/version of the Celsius designs - I am not a big fan of the red/black and I was really disappointed with the new colors & logo. That being said, I don't want them to move back to the aud, roll out the same tired looking unis, etc. It would have been great if the Crossroads/MMA/HSBC Arena/"The Bank" could have implemented some of the features of the Aud (like the color seats and the goal lights) but for whatever reason, they decided to go in another direction. I would have preferred the team carry over some of the traditions with them to the new arena, and if the fans say these are the things we would like to see brought back, then management should at least listen with an open mind - after all, the fans are the ones who pay the $$$ to come see the team play, buy the merchandise, etc. I'm not saying rip out & replace all the seats this offseason, but when the time comes to start replacing them, look into the costs, see if its feasible, if it is something the fans are asking for, etc. It doesn't cost much to ask for suggestions, and then run a couple polls based on those responses.

FWIW - to me this isn't about going back in time, living in the past, etc. - it's more about preserving the teams's history and traditions. There is a good reason why some teams have stayed with their original logos & colors (or slightly modified/tweaked them) rather than blowing the whole thing up and starting over. Stay with a classic design, and update/tweak as necessary.

Again, just my two cents worth...

it's all about history, tradition and CLASS. the old uniforms had class. Just like the Canadiens, Leafs, Bruins, etc... teams that have been basically the same for 50+ years. And for the record, I like the new Coyotes uniforms, they are a "throwback" design of sorts and I thikn they look classy and sharp. I like the basic stripes, nothing fancy, it looks like a hockey uniform, not a paintball jersey.

Don't tell me nothing good happened in the old uni's... we went to the cup finals and had one of the best/most exciting players in the history of the league (Bert) put on that sweater for every game he ever played and he wore it with class and respect. Think about players like Mike Ramsey, who loved being a Buffalo Sabre, they taught the youngsters what it meant to put on that blue and gold sweater...

I'm not saying players like McKee aren't showing the youngsters what it means to put on the Black and Red, because they are, it's just I would rather have ALL the players in history being loyal to one sweater. I know this sounds weird, but I'm not explaining it very well... and I have to get back to work.

I really don't care if they wear garbage bags, if they win the Cup, I'm going to cry like a baby no matter what :)

I think I followed you OK - and I like the use of the word class. I don't really care what they are wearing when they win a Cup, but the red/black to me look like a minor league team - almost Arena Football-ish. Personally I'd rather see a blue&gold banner raised to the rafters, but I am not going to complain if its black & red...

If we change colors will that be the end of Sabretooth???

(good riddance)

I mean, it was rather silly, to go from swords to tigers based on the common word "Sabre".

j

Nope.. he's been around for a long time. 88-89 I believe. ;)

If we change colors will that be the end of Sabretooth???

(good riddance)

I mean, it was rather silly, to go from swords to tigers based on the common word "Sabre".

j

No, but he might go back to HIS original colors as well. (No, they weren't b&g. Although, he did wear a home b&g sweater then.)

Sabretooth has been around since the mid-80s I think. He used to be Orange and Black wearing a white, blue and gold Sabres sweater. Sometime after the uni change he got really red looking, and he kinda looks ridiculous in that red hue. It would be nice to have the real Sabretooth back.

I don't like the red color that he's been sporting more recently. I think he should go back to his natural colors :P. I also noticed that when I was watching the Duck-Flames game that the Flames have like a wolf as a mascot. I'm not exactly sure what the connection is with the Flames? Or maybe they just wanted something that was cute and could make stuffies that they could sell in the gift shop.

Sabretooth has been around since the mid-80s I think. He used to be Orange and Black wearing a white, blue and gold Sabres sweater. Sometime after the uni change he got really red looking, and he kinda looks ridiculous in that red hue. It would be nice to have the real Sabretooth back.

At the Mmarena opener, they claimed on the Jumbotron that he drank a "potion of Sabre Red" or something to that effect and he has been Red & Black ever since.

I don't like the red color that he's been sporting more recently. I think he should go back to his natural colors :P. I also noticed that when I was watching the Duck-Flames game that the Flames have like a wolf as a mascot. I'm not exactly sure what the connection is with the Flames? Or maybe they just wanted something that was cute and could make stuffies that they could sell in the gift shop.

I've never seen the mascot, but it's probably a horse, just like the shoulder patch on their jerseys. That comes from all the rodeos they always hold up there in Calgary.

The mascot is a gray and white dog named "Harvey the Hound".

I have no idea what a dog has to do with a team called the "Flames".

Archived