Update On New Sabres Uni

CallawaySabres

The mascot is a gray and white dog named "Harvey the Hound".

I have no idea what a dog has to do with a team called the "Flames".

Ok, now that you mention it, of course I've seen him before. They really need to pick one animal and stick with it.

Isn't Harvey the Hound, the same mascot who had his costume's toungue ripped out by a coach, after Harvey was leaning over the glass taunting the coach?

It's killing me I can't remember what coach this was!

Yes. Craig MacTavish.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with these is people actually like them. Sports teams need to pay marketing/design firms millions to come up with creative crap that the fans generally dislike. Much like the Sabres Black/Red, or the current Bills abortions. I would really like to know who they bring in for focus groups when they are making the final dscision. Dolphin fans maybe?

You hit the nail on the head. I just don't understand WHY they wouldn't use these. They are great.

What all these "fans" need is a time machine so they can go back and live in their Blue and Gold Era.

Weither you like it or not, the Sabres are now Red, Black, and Silver. With everyone is crying to go back to Blue and gold, you would have thought we won a million Stanley Cups with those uniforms and it is the only thing holding us back from winning another. Who knows, in 5 years from now we could be having the same discussion because they went to a darker shade of blue, or a different gold colour then what the purists wanted so we should redesign everything again.

It is just a uniform people, I could care less if the team would skate onto the ice in purple and pink, as long as they are a top team in the league, I could care less.

Everyone wants to go back and relive history, but lets leave it as what it is, history and remember those times as fondly as we do and accept this new Red, Black and Silver Era (where, might I add, we have been more successful)

I agree that the Sabres have been mighty successful in the Red and Black. I fell in love with the snorting goat in 99 and thought I could go without the blue and gold after that. Rigas and Adelphia and the bankruptcy ruined me on ever wanting to see those colors again. And that was part of the point of the Golisano ownership team signalling the change back to blue and gold, the emergence of a new era. We're now seeing that new era on the ice, but they just couldn't get the new uni's until next season because of merchandising contracts. Thats why they nodded toward it in the last game of 03-04 byu wearing the "throwbacks."

Plus, I think the league needs more colors. If the Sharks had won, no matter which 2 teams went to the Cup finals they would have been wearing Red and Black or Turquoise and Black. And no team's jersey should be black except the Kings. Watching games has become visually boring to a certain extent (and also a little hard to distinguish home/away with a quick glance... is that Carolina or NJ?).

For me theres a lot of reasons I want blue and gold back. Visual diversity on the ice, an end to the Adelphia colors, a uniform that has continuity (not exact similarity) with the past, and a signal of the Golisano era.

Is it Saturday yet?

I agree that the Sabres have been mighty successful in the Red and Black. I fell in love with the snorting goat in 99 and thought I could go without the blue and gold after that. Rigas and Adelphia and the bankruptcy ruined me on ever wanting to see those colors again. And that was part of the point of the Golisano ownership team signalling the change back to blue and gold, the emergence of a new era. We're now seeing that new era on the ice, but they just couldn't get the new uni's until next season because of merchandising contracts. Thats why they nodded toward it in the last game of 03-04 byu wearing the "throwbacks."

Plus, I think the league needs more colors. If the Sharks had won, no matter which 2 teams went to the Cup finals they would have been wearing Red and Black or Turquoise and Black. And no team's jersey should be black except the Kings. Watching games has become visually boring to a certain extent (and also a little hard to distinguish home/away with a quick glance... is that Carolina or NJ?).

For me theres a lot of reasons I want blue and gold back. Visual diversity on the ice, an end to the Adelphia colors, a uniform that has continuity (not exact similarity) with the past, and a signal of the Golisano era.

Is it Saturday yet?

Out of curiosity, why would you let the Kings, who switched to black in '88 and no longer wear black, go black and not let the Bruins who have worn black forever and not let the Pens who switched to black and gold ~'80 because all the other Pittsburgh teams wore black and gold?

I would prefer to see colored uniforms rather than black vs white, as you would, I just wouldn't have come up with LA as being the team to wear black.

I would prefer to see colored uniforms rather than black vs white, as you would, I just wouldn't have come up with LA as being the team to wear black.

Yes, of course you're right on with that one. Temporary lapse of memory for me there. I think I was recalling more of the NFL than the NHL on that one and thinking of the Oak/LA/Oak Raiders as rightful claimants of black. I've kinda had it out for teams who reecently chose black as a main color. Of course the Pens and Bruins have worn black for years, so sorry for the mixup.

I've always thought the "away" black sweaters for the Sabres were godawful. Now Phila has a black jersey, Chicago has a black jersey, Ottawa has a black jersey, as do the Pens, Bruins, Sharks, Capitals, and Kings.

Its happened in the NFL too, the flagrant violators that come to mind are the Lions and Eagles.

I guess I'm a "purist" when it comes to these things, but I just think teams should stick the colors they've had over the years, even if they change or update the hue (as the Sabres will do).

I just think its ridiculous to have to watch black and white jerseys all the time when we've got all this High Def technology to make colors pop. Its a step backwards. So where do you draw the line? I dunno. But knock it off with all of the black sweaters/jerseys.

It is just a uniform people, I could care less if the team would skate onto the ice in purple and pink , as long as they are a top team in the league, I could care less.

Everyone wants to go back and relive history, but lets leave it as what it is, history and remember those times as fondly as we do and accept this new Red, Black and Silver Era (where, might I add, we have been more successful)

We should add teal, turquoise and light blue to this list.

This is a good point, regarding the success we've had with both sets of unis. I think we can all admit that Buffalo has been more successful in the short time we've worn red and black, but I enjoy the points made about creating a product that is visually appealing and differentiates the Sabres from Chicago and Calgary and Carolina and Ottawa and New Jersey.

It's cool that this thread has gotten a lot of replies and all...but could we maybe just save this sort of crap until the offseason?

I mean, people (myself included): THE CONFERENCE FINALS START IN 24 HOURS AND THE SABRES ARE PLAYING IN THEM!!!!! AND WE'RE TALKING ABOUT UNIFORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We should add teal, turquoise and light blue to this list.

This is a good point, regarding the success we've had with both sets of unis. I think we can all admit that Buffalo has been more successful in the short time we've worn red and black, but I enjoy the points made about creating a product that is visually appealing and differentiates the Sabres from Chicago and Calgary and Carolina and Ottawa and New Jersey.

Thats why I think the new uni's should feature the angry goat crest in some way, like as a shoulder patch. It would keep a visual reference to the 96-06 years while restoring the team's color and (hopefully) circular sabre/buffalo logo.

Archived