The Goalie Carousel in the NHL

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

3rd off-season and goalie situation is still a mess.  If it is so hard, how come Detroit just made it seem so easy?

Let’s not give them too much credit. Everything loved them signing last year’s one year wonder and now they are taking a shot at another. 

Doesn't make sense that a goalie won't come here. It's a small sample and they were playing under no pressure but the team played exciting and good hockey near the end. There are some good players that seems to like to play for Granato. We have some good young D . Things aren't as bleak as they used to be. Having said that, get a goalie

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Murray was about Bales and also about not wanting to do Ottawa any favors. He isn’t happy about how he’s been treated there and him and Bales never saw eye to eye during his rookie season.

So you are unhappy in Ottawa because they are treating you poorly so you stayed to spite them?  How about growing up and going somewhere where you were wanted and try to work things out with Bales.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So you are unhappy in Ottawa because you they are treating you poorly so you stayed to spite them?  How about growing up and going somewhere where you were wanted and try to work things out with Bales.  

He wants to reunite with Dubas and Keefe. He will be the chosen one to return Toronto to the top of the heap.

• Haha (+1) 2

I don't think Murray was really wanted here either, it was about taking a contract back to move up. Ottawa wants to move him and his contract, Sabres have the cap space to absorb the hit, similar to Chicago's move for Mrazek.

I also don't think that there's many goalies that don't want to come here and more likely the Sabres aren't interested in alot of the goalies. From. What I have heard/seen, they don't want a young guy with potential because they don't want to block UPL and the others. They would rather just fill the spot with some older veterans on short term deals that they can be out of in a year or 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He wants to reunite with Dubas and Keefe. He will be the chosen one to return Toronto to the top of the heap.

I hope so because it will end up being another goaltending flop for the Leafs. It took them less then a season to go from Campbell the hero to throwing him away.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Murray was about Bales and also about not wanting to do Ottawa any favors. He isn’t happy about how he’s been treated there and him and Bales never saw eye to eye during his rookie season.

You have no clue if that's true or not. That's pure speculation unless that comes from Matt Murray himself.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't think Murray was really wanted here either, it was about taking a contract back to move up. Ottawa wants to move him and his contract, Sabres have the cap space to absorb the hit, similar to Chicago's move for Mrazek.

I also don't think that there's many goalies that don't want to come here and more likely the Sabres aren't interested in alot of the goalies. From. What I have heard/seen, they don't want a young guy with potential because they don't want to block UPL and the others. They would rather just fill the spot with some older veterans on short term deals that they can be out of in a year or 2.

if true, what a terrible way to build a team. What if the young guy with potential is better?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

I hope so because it will end up being another goaltending flop for the Leafs. It took them less then a season to go from Campbell the hero to throwing him away.

The problem there is the defense not the goalies as Freddy Anderson proved last season.  Maybe they should trade Nylander to open cap to get a real D or two.  If not they are doomed to not compete for a Cup.  So sad, to bad.  

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So you are unhappy in Ottawa because you they are treating you poorly so you stayed to spite them?  How about growing up and going somewhere where you were wanted and try to work things out with Bales.  

The funny thing is it probably helped Ottawa secure Debrindicat.

Just now, nucci said:

if true, what a terrible way to build a team. What if the young guy with potential is better?

I agree, i always think your looking to improve what you have, I don't think there's ever been a player who's been ruined by having to play a bit longer in the minors. And if you end up with good players Blocking a prospect, you now have an asset to use in a trade.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The problem there is the defense not the goalies as Freddy Anderson proved last season.  Maybe they should trade Nylander to open cap to get a real D or two.  If not they are doomed to not compete for a Cup.  So sad, to bad.  

I think it's a bit of both. The goalies aren't great, but the also aren't why they lose. The defence needs work but instead they would rather spend cap space to sign older forwards

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Which is ironic because Murray has never come close to playing as well as he did w/ Bales as his coach.

Reminds of how Zhitnik was legendary for putting shots into the blues & oranges and then the suites & 300s.  Mike Ramsey made him change his stick blade & suddenly he could hit the net (the little one w/ the red border not the huge one hanging above the glass).  Ramsey moves on to Minny and Zhitnik goes back to the blade he was more comfortable with & Jochen Hecht loses an ear.

Moral of the story: sometimes hockey players are too ####ing stubborn to see what's good for them.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Which is ironic because Murray has never come close to playing as well as he did w/ Bales as his coach.

Reminds of how Zhitnik was legendary for putting shots into the blues & oranges and then the suites & 300s.  Mike Ramsey made him change his stick blade & suddenly he could hit the net (the little one w/ the red border not the huge one hanging above the glass).  Ramsey moves on to Minny and Zhitnik goes back to the blade he was more comfortable with & Jochen Hecht loses an ear.

Moral of the story: sometimes hockey players are too ####ing stubborn to see what's good for them.

Yep

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.