Hot Tage takes worth talking about

dudacek

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

IMHO he's absolutely a 1st-line center.  I'm distinguishing between "franchise center" -- McD, Crosby, Malkin, Matthews, MacKinnon, Barkov, Eichel, etc -- and "1st-line center," which I think covers the franchise guys as well as the next 15 or so guys who, if one of them is your #1C, you aren't sitting there bemoaning your team's lack of a good #1 C.  TT can score it, he can pass it, he can skate, he can forecheck, he can kill penalties and he can close out games, and he's early in his development arc and is going to get better

Cracking Up Reaction GIF

I did not give up on hope that he would be a productive player, although I will admit I was getting a tiny bit nervous.  In my mind, given his length, it did think it would take him longer to turn into a solid nhler.  Having the precise muscle control to coordinate all those gangly parts into what we now see was always going to take more time.  It usually does for tall players.  I hope Power doesn't take until he is 24-25 Y/O to do the same.  

3 hours ago, breese866 said:

I did not give up on hope that he would be a productive player, although I will admit I was getting a tiny bit nervous.  In my mind, given his length, it did think it would take him longer to turn into a solid nhler.  Having the precise muscle control to coordinate all those gangly parts into what we now see was always going to take more time.  It usually does for tall players.  I hope Power doesn't take until he is 24-25 Y/O to do the same.  

Most tall players are awkward when they hit the NHL.  Power already moves as smoothly as silk.

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think that's a function of him learning how to find space on the ice to shoot from, which is enabled by him playing center and also he's matured a lot in his stickhandling.

He has definitely, and maybe it was luck (due to a lack of centers at the time) but kudos to Granato or whoever for trying him at center. 

I never thought of a big man like him playing that way. He seemed to be not using his body properly by old hockey standards. Didn't hit people, didn't really drive the net or screen very well. Didn't tie up the D in front or out muscle them for rebounds. Wasn't physical. All the things you think of with a big man BUT maybe he's the new prototype for the current NHL. Changes in the game now allow for the things he can do in open ice and he has (it seems) mastered the current game. I am very hopeful this sticks and we see it next year again.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Tage has been amazing, I love the transformation. My only problem with him is that this is by far his best season so is this a breakthrough or is this a fluke? I'm really hoping we found a diamond in the rough.

I don’t think this year is a fluke for Tage.  He has the right attitude and skill set.  

Future offensive success for him depends on a few things but typically guys don’t score at a 15% clip year over year.  That said even if he was shooting at a 10% rate he would have 25 goals this year and I think he likely ends up between 25-35 annually  playing PP and as a 1C or 2C.  

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Tage has been amazing, I love the transformation. My only problem with him is that this is by far his best season so is this a breakthrough or is this a fluke? I'm really hoping we found a diamond in the rough.

I honestly think it was the move to center.

To me, it looks like he is doing the same exact stuff he has always done, but last year it was at wing. He would often be F1, with no support in the offensive zone. Now, because of his added defensive responsibilities, he's usually F2 or F3 and has the puck support in the O zone.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I never thought of a big man like him playing that way. He seemed to be not using his body properly by old hockey standards. Didn't hit people, didn't really drive the net or screen very well. Didn't tie up the D in front or out muscle them for rebounds. Wasn't physical. All the things you think of with a big man BUT maybe he's the new prototype for the current NHL. Changes in the game now allow for the things he can do in open ice and he has (it seems) mastered the current game. I am very hopeful this sticks and we see it next year again.

Obviously, he is nowhere near the player, but Tage uses his size the same way Mario did: to strip and protect pucks and create space.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, SwampD said:

To me, it looks like he is doing the same exact stuff he has always done, but last year it was at wing. He would often be F1, with no support in the offensive zone. Now, because of his added defensive responsibilities, he's usually F2 or F3 and has the puck support in the O zone.

I hate quoting myself, but just wanted to add,… as F1, I think Tuch gives the puck away just as often as Tage did last year, but because it's Tuch, only LGR and myself find it frustrating.😂

Where Tuch has Tage and Skinner to support him, Tage had,… I actually don't remember (most likely because they weren't worth remembering.)

1 minute ago, JustOneParade said:

My comment on Tuch was based on my perception that Tage became even more productive when Tuch joined the line. Maybe the numbers don't support that.

I would be shocked if they didn't support it.

22 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I hate quoting myself, but just wanted to add,… as F1, I think Tuch gives the puck away just as often as Tage did last year, but because it's Tuch, only LGR and myself find it frustrating.😂

Where Tuch has Tage and Skinner to support him, Tage had,… I actually don't remember (most likely because they weren't worth remembering.)

What is interesting to me about Tuch giveaways is how often he takes the puck back.

Tage has had good linemates all season. He has been good regardless of his linemates.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I think there are tangible differences in the way he is playing.  I don’t think it’s just the move to C.  Moving from W to C doesn’t transform a 15 goal, 30 pt player into a 35-40 goal, 65-70 pt player

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I think there are tangible differences in the way he is playing.  I don’t think it’s just the move to C.  Moving from W to C doesn’t transform a 15 goal, 30 pt player into a 35-40 goal, 65-70 pt player

Maybe he was this good last year but just got Kruegered. Honestly, It's hard to make any comparisons at all to last year because the hockey was just so dreadfully awful compared to this year. Thinking about last year makes me want to Ralph.

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Maybe he was this good last year but just got Kruegered. Honestly, It's hard to make any comparisons at all to last year because the hockey was just so dreadfully awful compared to this year. Thinking about last year makes me want to Ralph.

Part of it could be division play on top of Krueger. The East was absolutely brutal to play in last season. 

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

Part of it could be division play on top of Krueger. The East was absolutely brutal to play in last season. 

True, but we are playing some pretty good hockey against those same teams this year. It’s not even close.

Krueger,… just, wow.

23 hours ago, SwampD said:

I was thinking that also, we'll find out next season. I feel like we have our guy there in Thompson but that's just my opinion

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

Obviously, he is nowhere near the player, but Tage uses his size the same way Mario did: to strip and protect pucks and create space.

I think part of the problem is also… The antiquated mindset that if you’re taller than 6’ 2” you need to be a physical specimen who crushes people and plays a grinding physical game. Or another common phrase “uses his body”.
there are many players that could be listed who are not “physical” at all who have had long NHL careers, and are over 6’ 2”. The very first one that comes to my mind… Tyler Myers. He is still playing in the league, and yet he’s really not physical at all. Not for what some people expect a 6’ 7” player to be. And one can list players that are no taller than 6’ who are “physical” as all hell, and good at it. 

Like I said it’s an antiquated mindset. A height of a player no longer determines the level of their “physical”   game. Or the expected level of “physical” play. Especially for today’s NHL. 

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.