GDT: 2022 Frozen Four -- Thurs. April 7, 5:00 PM & 8:30 PM, ESPN2/ESPNU

nfreeman

OK, so it's Michigan, with Power and Portillo, vs U. of Denver at 5:00 pm on ESPN2, and Minnesota, with Ryan Johnson (junior defenseman) and Aaron Huglen (freshman forward), vs Minnesota State at 8:30 pm on ESPNU.

The main event from the Sabres' perspective is the first game, featuring Power and Portillo.  Power has 3-29-32 in 32 games this year.  I was somewhat surprised to see that he was not named as one of the 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker award.  He was first-team all Big 10.

Portillo was 31-9 this year, with a 2.13 GAA, .926 SV% and 3 shutouts.  He's a 21-year-old sophomore from Gothenberg, Sweden (which sounds like an evil place based the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books) who turns 22 in September and is 6'6", 225 lbs.  He was named MOP of the Big 10 tournament and of UM's region in the NCAA tournament.  He was also Big 10 all-academic and 2nd team all-Big 10.  The Sabres drafted him in the 3rd round in 2019.

As for the 2nd game, Johnson has gradually assembled a pretty solid resume after being taken at the end of the 1st round in 2019 with the pick the Sabres received from STL in the ROR trade debacle.  He's 6'1", 190 lbs, turns 21 in June and is finishing his junior year at Minny.  He's 8th on the team in scoring as a defenseman, with 3-16-19 in 38 games.  He was second on the team in blocked shots (44) and seventh in shots on goal (68).  In the NCAA round of 16 last week, he played over 30 min in Minny's OT win, and then over 26 min in Minny's win 2 days later in the regional final.  He played for the US World Junior team in January 2021.  His dad, Craig, played 10 years in the NHL.

Huglen is 6'0", 170 lbs and is 10th on his team in scoring as a freshman with 7-9-16.  2 of his goals were on the PP, so presumably he's got some skill.  At 21, he's old for a freshman -- he was drafted in the 4th round in 2019, after playing 2018-19 in the USHL.  He then missed all of the 2019-20 season with an injury he suffered lifting weights, played in the USHL in 2020-21 and put up 15-20-35 in 39 games and was co-MVP of his team, and has now played 1 season in the NCAA.

(Couple of asides:  Minnesota's top goalie is Jack LaFontaine, who is not related to Pat, and Minny's captain, Ben Meyers, is one of the 3 finalists for the Hobey Baker.)

Here's a pretty nifty goal by Huglen:

FWIW, Michigan and Minnesota played 5 times this year, with the 2 teams splitting the first 4 games and Michigan winning the 5th.

These guys look pretty promising!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 4

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Gothenberg, Sweden (which sounds like an evil place based the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books)

Nothing constructive to add to thread, except to say Gothenburg is great! Wonderful city, great people, Hellishly expensive booze though.

11 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Nothing constructive to add to thread, except to say Gothenburg is great! Wonderful city, great people, Hellishly expensive booze though.

I've never been to Sweden -- going to a late-season SHL game in one of those smaller Northern cities between 2 good teams is on my bucket list.

51 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Nice write up @nfreemanjust one small correction.

LaFontaine left the team mid season to go pro and turned the net over to Justin Close.

The kid has been nothing short of magnificent with numbers at the top of the league. 

How has Minnesota's Johnson been doing? Is he ready to play in the AHL?

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I've never been to Sweden -- going to a late-season SHL game in one of those smaller Northern cities between 2 good teams is on my bucket list.

Cool. If you're booking it all yourself there are lots of nice home rentals in picturesque places that are pretty cheap and many give you use of boats etc if on a lake. 

swedish-shl-2021-22.png

Luleå game would be cool. Especially if Northern lights are happening.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How has Minnesota's Johnson been doing? Is he ready to play in the AHL?

He could do for some time in Rochester imo.

I think he could start there on the top pair and be an injury call up next season. 

He would jump to the top of the prospect list in Rochester upon arrival imo

Edited by Norcal
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Norcal said:

He could do for some time in Rochester imo.

I think he could start there on the top pair and be an injury call up next season. 

He would jump to the top of the prospect list in Rochester upon arrival imo

If Quinn and JJ move on, probably yes

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd trade him to LA if he doesn't sign this year. 

Agree...as been discussed in other threads, good scenario if there can be a RHD prospect in return.  I was not particularly happy when Botteril first drafted him and still hope he will prove me wrong.  Maybe that can still happen, but I'd like to see him sign and go from there.

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Cool. If you're booking it all yourself there are lots of nice home rentals in picturesque places that are pretty cheap and many give you use of boats etc if on a lake. 

swedish-shl-2021-22.png

Luleå game would be cool. Especially if Northern lights are happening.

Should have joined us for the Sabres/Lightning game a few years ago, it was fun... Caught the aurora up in Tromso, Norway on that trip, awe inspiring for sure. 

Great poke check by Portillo on that breakaway! He also used his foot on the back end against the post to keep the puck from bouncing in after it traveled off the poke-checking move.

I immediately thought of the contrast by our goalies' recent history of getting scored on in shootouts because they sat back and didn't poke check the puck when the shooter came in slow and practically stopped on their doorstep before scoring unchallenged by the goalie.

Looking forward to see Portillo in his new Blue & Gold uniform soon (Wolverines to Sabres) 

Edited by Jävə Keith
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Should have joined us for the Sabres/Lightning game a few years ago, it was fun... Caught the aurora up in Tromso, Norway on that trip, awe inspiring for sure. 

My wife and I went over for the Saturday game. It was cool. Struck me how much faster NHL players are compared to the UK league. Its almost a different sport!!

Edited by steveoath

Wolverines started to figure out Denver's smothering D toward the end of the period.  Michigan's 1st shot on goal wasn't until 16.5 minutes into the period. Then they got 4-5 shots in the last 3.5 minutes.

Michigan will come out in the 2nd with better focus, understanding and a will to overcome.

Have faith

Edited by Jävə Keith
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.