GDT - Panthers @ Sabres - April 3, 2022 - 1:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B WGR ESPN+

woods-racer

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Eh.  If you look at his twitter, he seems pretty combative himself.  Other sports writers shrug it off but he seems to take it very personally.

I agree with you that John W can be combative. He's certainly not a shrinking violet. He just made a decision for himself that he doesn't want to engage here. Everyone has different tolerance levels. His is lower than most in the business. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that John W can be combative. He's certainly not a shrinking violet. He just made a decision for himself that he doesn't want to engage here. Everyone has different tolerance levels. His is lower than most in the business. 

Yeh Wa doesnt take differences of opinion well... Great writer but a bit of a know it all even when he doesnt...

8 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh Wa doesnt take differences of opinion well... Great writer but a bit of a know it all even when he doesnt...

I agree with you and others who say that he was not too receptive to criticisms. So he made a choice to leave this forum. But I still contend that there was a minority faction that was somewhat hostile to some of his comments. He just didn't feel the need to deal with it. That's his prerogative. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’ve been among his biggest critics at times this season so I’m very glad he’s making a liar out of me. 

Don't feel bad. I, like you, misjudged him. Mitts more than any player on this roster has surprised me with his style of play. What has surprised more than anything about his play is not his offensive talents as it is his grinding and hard style of play. I would never have expected him to be one of our best, if not best, wall players on this team. This is an unexpected pleasant surprise for a player who is now one of our building block players. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I’m not one that publicly fought with JW but from what I saw he is way to thin skinned.  He is a professional writer and he lets fans on the Internet get to him.  He did the same thing on the Bills forum.  I expected a professional in the business  would be better than that.  

I don’t think he is a connected insider that provides breaking information either.  He is a mediocre writer that presents himself poorly.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

I’m not one that publicly fought with JW but from what I saw he is way to thin skinned.  He is a professional writer and he lets fans on the Internet get to him.  He did the same thing on the Bills forum.  I expected a professional in the business  would be better than that.  

I don’t think he is a connected insider that provides breaking information either.  He is a mediocre writer that presents himself poorly.  

Everyone has their own personality traits. For a person in his line of work his tolerance for disputation was low. However, I don't consider him to be a mediocre writer. Deadline writers have challenges in putting together columns in the allotted time.  When dealing in a forum where there is a lot of subjectivity, it shouldn't be surprising that there are many conflicting views and personality conflicts. 

As for Mitts, his defensive awareness and board work are light years better now than they were 2 years ago. As for his offense, not only is his hands elite IMO but he's also scored 11 points in his last 15 games which is a 60 point pace. He's definitely starting to look like his end of the year self again.

Not just from this game but it was obvious to me that there are 5 guys that need to be replaced/upgraded for next year and I don't necessarily hate these guys because they all appear to give their all when on the ice. Tokarski, Pysyk, Bryson, Fitzgerald and Eakin. You can add Asplund to this list but I think he'd be ok on the 4th line centering or playing LW with Okposo and Girgensons. Pysyk, Bryson and Fitzgerald were all overwhelmed at times against the Panthers size and speed. As much as I like Donny G. please don't pair Pysyk and Bryson again. Tokarski gives his all and tries his best but man you never know where he'll be and  end up on a play and man he must be a hand ball expert with the rebounds he gives up. To me Fitzgerald gives us some grit on the backend but that's about all he's really good at. 

Unfortunate loss but I have to admit except for about 10 minutes of the 2nd period, I was entertained. These Sabres battle. I don't want to blame the refs for the game or say they are bad (trying my best not to say suck) but inconsistent with the calls would be the nicest thing I can say about them. 

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, jsb said:

As for Mitts, his defensive awareness and board work are light years better now than they were 2 years ago. As for his offense, not only is his hands elite IMO but he's also scored 11 points in his last 15 games which is a 60 point pace. He's definitely starting to look like his end of the year self again.

Not just from this game but it was obvious to me that there are 5 guys that need to be replaced/upgraded for next year and I don't necessarily hate these guys because they all appear to give their all when on the ice. Tokarski, Pysyk, Bryson, Fitzgerald and Eakin. You can add Asplund to this list but I think he'd be ok on the 4th line centering or playing LW with Okposo and Girgensons. Pysyk, Bryson and Fitzgerald were all overwhelmed at times against the Panthers size and speed. As much as I like Donny G. please don't pair Pysyk and Bryson again. Tokarski gives his all and tries his best but man you never know where he'll be and  end up on a play and man he must be a hand ball expert with the rebounds he gives up. To me Fitzgerald gives us some grit on the backend but that's about all he's really good at. 

Unfortunate loss but I have to admit except for about 10 minutes of the 2nd period, I was entertained. These Sabres battle. I don't want to blame the refs for the game or say they are bad (trying my best not to say suck) but inconsistent with the calls would be the nicest thing I can say about them. 

I’ll say it. The official were not good.  They let things go all game, then they call tic tack tripping on a face off and then put us 2 skaters down on a marginal hook.  

• Like (+1) 3

I think Florida is winning the cup this year. I think the Sabres have become a really good team.

I never thought the Sabres were going to win this one, but even still, it was a pretty good game, ruined by the officials.

• Like (+1) 4

57 minutes ago, jsb said:

Asplund is quietly one of the best forwards on this team. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Next year Eakon probably won't be on the team. A line composed with Okposo/Gergs/Asplund would make for a good fourth line that can also provide some scoring production. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Hmmm.  I don’t see that. 

He is behind Tage, Mitts, Cozens, and Krebs.

He is not as good as veterans like Skinner and Tuch.   He doesn’t bring what Okposo and Girgensons bring either. 

He is closer to VO in value but not quite there, he does not score like him but brings a solid two-way game.  
He is comparable to Hinostoza.  Asplund has played 18 more games, has 5 less goals and they are equal in points.  I’m not sure Granato would put him ahead of Hinostroza right now,or even ahead of Eakin.

He is better than Caggula, Hayden and Bjork.  

Lefty’s- Quinn is coming up, challenges Hinostroza’ spot.

Righty’s - Peterka maybe coming up, challenges Asplund’s spot.  

He is a pretty reliable player, you know what you get usually.  Still, I see an expendable asset

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

4th liner at best in production though. l agree with you on the defensive side. Tough to be a 2nd-3rd liner when you can’t setup or put the puck in the net. A more skilled Eakin if he can win FOs

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jsb said:

4th liner at best in production though. l agree with you on the defensive side. Tough to be a 2nd-3rd liner when you can’t setup or put the puck in the net. A more skilled Eakin if he can win FOs

Comparing Asplund to Eakin is like Comparing filet mignon to taco bell.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hmmm.  I don’t see that. 

He is behind Tage, Mitts, Cozens, and Krebs.

He is not as good as veterans like Skinner and Tuch.   He doesn’t bring what Okposo and Girgensons bring either. 

He is closer to VO in value but not quite there, he does not score like him but brings a solid two-way game.  
He is comparable to Hinostoza.  Asplund has played 18 more games, has 5 less goals and they are equal in points.  I’m not sure Granato would put him ahead of Hinostroza right now,or even ahead of Eakin.

He is better than Caggula, Hayden and Bjork.  

Lefty’s- Quinn is coming up, challenges Hinostroza’ spot.

Righty’s - Peterka maybe coming up, challenges Asplund’s spot.  

He is a pretty reliable player, you know what you get usually.  Still, I see an expendable asset

I don't see Asplund as an expendable asset as you do. I think although he isn't much of a scorer he does drive a line. His style of play reminds me of Girgs. Not much of a finisher but plays a hard game that is an important ingredient for a successful team. There are players where their production stats don't reflect their value to a team. In my estimation he falls in that category. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Sabres are not several players away from being good, they are good.

I don't even think they are a few players away from being very good.

They are a year or two from maturing. Don't count on a whole lot of outside acquisition to get to the playoffs. They have what it takes in house. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't see Asplund as an expendable asset as you do. I think although he isn't much of a scorer he does drive a line. His style of play reminds me of Girgs. Not much of a finisher but plays a hard game that is an important ingredient for a successful team. There are players where their production stats don't reflect their value to a team. In my estimation he falls in that category. 

Third and fourth line players are often expendable as throw ins on a bigger deal. Maybe he works to improve face offs and beats out Eakin for a fourth line C.   That would be a plus. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

They are a year or two from maturing. Don't count on a whole lot of outside acquisition to get to the playoffs. They have what it takes in house. 

The big issue for me is getting the goalie position fortified. Anderson is 40 yrs old and Toker is inadequate as a regular. Is UPL ready to assume a primary role in net? I'm not ready to say so. 

3 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

They need goaltending.  They have a few prospects but nothing to bank on next season.  

They need help at RHD. 

The need help at C.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The big issue for me is getting the goalie position fortified. Anderson is 40 yrs old and Toker is inadequate as a regular. Is UPL ready to assume a primary role in net? I'm not ready to say so. 

Just now, Pimlach said:

They need goaltending.  They have a few prospects but nothing to bank on next season.  

They need help at RHD. 

The need help at C.  

They need goaltending. The rest is a whish list. Same as every other NHL team.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Third and fourth line players are often expendable as throw ins on a bigger deal. Maybe he works to improve face offs and beats out Eakin for a fourth line C.   That would be a plus. 

If Asplund is put on the Okposo and Girgs line, I see Girgs moving into the center position. I just see Asplund in a better light and a more useful role than you do. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.