Tage Extension—What Will It Take?

Porous Five Hole

This is probably an off-season type of thread, but, Tage is having another good night.  It got me to thinking about what it would take to keep him here for the foreseeable future. 

He was recently featured in this Sabres production and seemed genuine that he wants to be here and be a leader:

Capfriendly states he is signed for one more year at 1.4m and then an RFA one more time. 
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/tage-thompson

At the time of this contract signing, it was widely considered a low risk, high upside signing for a guy who some wanted in the AHL. Fast forward to today, and he’s the Sabres first line center and leads the team in scoring. 

He’s outplayed his current contract to the point that he cannot be asked to take a hometown discount. He’s age appropriate for the Sabres new core, and their top line would be lost without him. Just imagine if Casey or Krebs had to anchor the first line…yikes.  

So what gets it done?

Would 6m X 5 years be enough? That would take him to age 30 and eligible for one more big contract.  But is that enough to buy out his prime years? Would he rather sign shorter term and bet on himself? He’s in the same situation that Reinhart was in (one year from UFA at current contract conclusion). Would he prefer arbitration one time and UFA for max $$?

What is it going to take to buy out his prime years? Are you ready to make a long term commitment after 60 games at the center position?

I am.  I’m asking him to take 6m X 5/6 years. Would you? Would he?

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Seems fair!  Maybe front load it so to allow room for another Dahlin extension and expiring rookie contracts for our prospects?

7 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

5 for 5

That would put him at about the 60th highest paid center in the league.  When I put it that way to myself, I don’t think that gets it done. 

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Seems fair!  Maybe front load it so to allow room for another Dahlin extension and expiring rookie contracts for our prospects?

How does front loading help with that? Are you concerned the Pegulas won't pay real cash or are you trying to manipulate the cap?

Just now, Porous Five Hole said:

That would put him at about the 60th highest paid center in the league.  When I put it that way to myself, I don’t think that gets it done. 

It won't, 6 million would be the starter and 6.5-7 might be what's needed. 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I was mortified at 3 years/1 mil per or whatever the last one was hahaha

I looked back at that thread the other day. Lots of posters were worried for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I looked back at that thread the other day. Lots of posters were worried for some reason. 

I still remember in his first year here, he was leading a 2 on 1 rush when he did this blind spin/back pass that went right onto the other team's tape, which sent THEM on an odd man rush they scored on 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

That’s Barzal/Pavelski/Kevin Hayes money. While that is probably most likely, that doesn’t feel quite right either. To GA’s point, Buffalo would be taking on a lot of risk at that AAV. 

48 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/center/
For further reference, a 5m AAV puts him in line with Gourde, Charlie Coyle, and Marchessault. None of those guys are playing Tage’s role on this team.  

Comparing contracts in this manner is not predictive.  You need to look at what was happening with those players when they signed those deals.

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Front loading, back loading, or paying some as bonuses.  None of it changes the cap hit.  Cap hit is always the total money payed divided by the number of years.  It remains constant each year of the contract.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Curt said:

Front loading, back loading, or paying some as bonuses.  None of it changes the cap hit.  Cap hit is always the total money payed divided by the number of years.  It remains constant each year of the contract.

Not our concern

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.