Why doesn’t Poland have a good hockey team

SDS

Just now, SDS said:

With so many countries in that part of the world having really good national teams or other in-house competitive leagues, why doesn’t a country large as Poland have its own hockey infrastructure?

Does Poland have a preferred national sport like ️?

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

I would just think that their culture is very similar to other Slovak countries.

Maybe? Idk really just spit balling. The Irish and Welsh teams aren't good at soccer despite England being right there. Same with Switzerland near France and Greece next to Italy. We get our tails handed to us against Mexico too.

Edit: Actually I think Switzerland is decent

Edited by WildCard

Just now, SDS said:

I mean it’s probably not fair that Polish people are the most charming, best looking, greatest people on earth and then also ask them to be good at hockey too. 

Personally I think that's Germans but last time we went that route it wasn't great

• Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, SDS said:

With so many countries in that part of the world having really good national teams or other in-house competitive leagues, why doesn’t a country large as Poland have its own hockey infrastructure?

Easy answer is just money. There is not many rinks in Poland to even have a place to begin to play. Poland got pretty crushed during the 2nd world war and then until early 1990's we were under Soviet rule, so rebuilding was a slow process until we got our independence.

Even the soccer team, has had a resurgence in the last 12-14 years, but prior to that they were not good besides in the 1970s when they were a power before money ruled the sport. There was no modern soccer stadiums or facilities until around 2010. Even the first highway in Poland wasn't build until like 2010. 

Polish player like Wojtek Wolski who made the NHL recently, grew up in a wealthy family in Poland and moved to Toronto area at a young age where his hockey talents took off.

Most popular sports in Poland: hockey, volleyball and ski jumping.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Easy answer is just money. There is not many rinks in Poland to even have a place to begin to play. Poland got pretty crushed during the 2nd world war and then until early 1990's we were under Soviet rule, so rebuilding was a slow process until we got our independence.

Even the soccer team, has had a resurgence in the last 12-14 years, but prior to that they were not good besides in the 1970s when they were a power before money ruled the sport. There was no modern soccer stadiums or facilities until around 2010. Even the first highway in Poland wasn't build until like 2010. 

Polish player like Wojtek Wolski who made the NHL recently, grew up in a wealthy family in Poland and moved to Toronto area at a young age where his hockey talents took off.

Did not see that coming.

2 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Did not see that coming.

In late 1990's / early 2000s, a ski jumper emerged by the name of Adam Malysz, and he became one of the best ski jumpers ever in the sport and popularity in the sport went all the way up. Malysz out of his own pocket and many sponsors then invested in the sport and he was very active. Since he retired, Poland has been a ski jumping power house in the world with multiple very good ski jumpers, including Kamil Stoch, who is going to retire a legend in the sport too. Now everyone loves it, and every event is a huge tv ratings event in Poland.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Two or less said:

It sounds like maybe you’ve been there?

For Poland, which is just a little bit bigger than the size of Texas, is literally surrounded on all sides by countries like Finland, Sweden, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Slovakia, and Latvia even… Not to mention Russia…. It just seems like a great big hole in the middle of a hockey rich area.

14 minutes ago, SDS said:

It sounds like maybe you’ve been there?

For Poland, which is just a little bit bigger than the size of Texas, is literally surrounded on all sides by countries like Finland, Sweden, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Slovakia, and Latvia even… Not to mention Russia…. It just seems like a great big hole in the middle of a hockey rich area.

I was born and raised in Poland.

Germany is wealthy, while Czech, Sweden or Finland weren't destroyed like Poland was in ww2. Slovakia and Latvia are interesting though, i also always wondered how such a small and poor country got into ice hockey as much as they did.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Two or less said:

I was born and raised in Poland.

Germany is wealthy, while Czech, Sweden or Finland weren't destroyed like Poland was in ww2. Slovakia and Latvia are interesting though, i also always wondered how such a small and poor country got into ice hockey as much as they did.

Thanks for the insight! This jives with other things that I’ve read. Apparently, this question has been asked a lot.

Some of the people from the Poland subReddit say that Czechoslovakia and Slovakia are more mountainous and therefore concentrated more on winter sports.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Two or less said:

I don’t know if your line about the popular sports was legit or you were making a joke but the mention of ski jumping made me laugh, and I’m Polish.

It was like:  What do they call leapfrog in Poland?

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, SDS said:

Thanks for the insight! This jives with other things that I’ve read. Apparently, this question has been asked a lot.

Some of the people from the Poland subReddit say that Czechoslovakia and Slovakia are more mountainous and therefore concentrated more on winter sports.

No problem.

Czech the #1 national sport is hockey. Every city there has ice rinks. Kids grow up with the sport. And govt invests in hockey.

In Poland soccer is king. On top of just hockey rinks, but lack of coaches and training facilities.

28 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

I don’t know if your line about the popular sports was legit or you were making a joke but the mention of ski jumping made me laugh, and I’m Polish.

Wasn't a joke. lol

Photo from a ski jumping event in Zakopane, Poland. Big crowds, massive tv ratings.

kibice-podczas-zawodow-pucharu-swiata-w-skokach-narciarskich-w-zakopanem-19012019.webp

• Like (+1) 2

Hockey was/is a massive part of Russia's 20th century culture.

I wonder if that alone has had an influence on Poland's view of the sport.

OTOH, the regions of the former Czech Republic embraced hockey, notwithstanding their former imperialist occupier's affection for the sport.

But every culture is different. My sense is that Poland has a unique, singular antipathy for Russia.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

This seems to have flown under the radar, but is hilarious.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.