Russian Invasion of Ukraine

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, drnkirishone said:

so special forces not mercenaries? sounds like the chechen version of seals or delta force

Says "special units" not special forces and rumors are they are being paid based kill count and destruction of material

On 2/28/2022 at 7:53 PM, Weave said:

Not links, obviously, but I've seen tons of reporting and video footage of Chechen military types in Ukraine.  I thought it was well known at this point.

Edit to add, a quick google search returns a very diverse international reporting from respected news orgs reporting the presence of Chechnyan soldiers.

But aren't Chechen soldiers fighting for Russia the equivalent of Puerto Ricans fighting for the US?

Chechnya IS a part of the Russian federation.

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

But aren't Chechen soldiers fighting for Russia the equivalent of Puerto Ricans fighting for the US?

Chechnya IS a part of the Russian federation.

Hey, I’m not the one questioning their presence in Ukraine.

The 40 mile Russian convoy reminds me of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The Soviets liked to stay in their armored vehicles while under attack. It is/was a flawed tactic. 

When the U.S. entered Afghanistan the Taliban thought we would do the same. The results speak for themselves. Russia uses unsound tactics. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:13 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

The 40 mile Russian convoy reminds me of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The Soviets liked to stay in their armored vehicles while under attack. It is/was a flawed tactic. 

When the U.S. entered Afghanistan the Taliban thought we would do the same. The results speak for themselves. Russia uses unsound tactics. 

They've got the bodies to throw at it. Literally 100 million more people than Ukraine. 

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Numbers are a factor but there is more to it.

I don't pretend to know anything about military strategy, but Russia is really good at dying in wars in staggering numbers and still not losing. 

That's all I was saying.

5 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I don't pretend to know anything about military strategy, but Russia is really good at dying in wars in staggering numbers and still not losing. 

That's all I was saying.

They’ve been in a number of what probably falls under low intensity conflicts since the 90s. The urban conflict they’re about to get themselves into will be unforgiving. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah I don't see this going well for Ukraine, they won't win like this at all.   Besides some early victories and few amount of Russian troops surrendering. 

Without outside intervention which won't happen because he armed his nukes as a threat to that, This will be lost within a month.

8 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

If you are willing to use nuclear weapons you would shell a nuclear power plant

You wouldn’t if maintaining some level of infrastructure for when you take over was important.  Apparently a functional Ukraine isn’t a priority for Putins plans. 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I don't see this going well for Ukraine, they won't win like this at all.   Besides some early victories and few amount of Russian troops surrendering. 

Without outside intervention which won't happen because he armed his nukes as a threat to that, This will be lost within a month.

It could still tie up Russia for years if the people there don’t submit, ala Afganistan.

• 2 weeks later...

Putin right now is in a lose lose situation.   Even if he gets Ukraine to give up Crimea.   How can he go home  and explain 20000 dead Russian soldiers.
He is going to keep on trying, I can only see it getting more nasty.    Only hope is someone in Kremlin growing some balls and taking out that inner circle.