Russian Invasion of Ukraine

LGR4GM

Like all wars this is about money and power.

Putin will not use nukes, because it would assure Russia's obliteration.

Russia has been desperate for a port on the Black Sea ever since the fall of the Union.  Putin is no different.  He wants it and I think the West will give it to him.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Russia has been desperate for a port on the Black Sea ever since the fall of the Union.  Putin is no different.  He wants it and I think the West will give it to him.

The west might, but it depends how Eastern Europe and Turkey will react more.    Poland, baltic states, romania, Slowakia are all on edge right now.

Btw Moldavia is next, he wants that too.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I wouldn’t use the word “give”.  They may not respond with enough intensity to prevent it, but that’s not giving.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Weave said:

I wouldn’t use the word “give”.  They may not respond with enough intensity to prevent it, but that’s not giving.  

That's fair.

I found it interesting that Prime Minister Trudeau used the words *to defend democracy* when announcing sanctions against Russia.

It's also something that he rescinded the Emergencies Act yesterday afternoon.

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

That's fair.

I found it interesting that Prime Minister Trudeau used the words *to defend democracy* when announcing sanctions against Russia.

It's also something that he rescinded the Emergencies Act yesterday afternoon.

And yet you accused Trudeau of fascism. Fascist do not surrender power any more than a tyrant like Putin would. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The west might, but it depends how Eastern Europe and Turkey will react more.    Poland, baltic states, romania, Slowakia are all on edge right now.

dark days ahead. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And yet you accused Trudeau of fascism. Fascist do not surrender power any more than a tyrant like Putin would. 

I called Trudeau a fascist wannabe who has grabed more power for him and his government than any PM prior to him.  He is not a true fascist yet.  My point about Trudeau defending democracy in Ukraine is laughable when he did not do so in his taking tiny steps to infringe on democracy in Canada.

Putin is a true fascist in every sense of the word.  We all need to foget that far-right was added in the 1930s because they needed something to counter-balance the Soviet version of fascism, which had been labelled Communism for some reason.

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I called Trudeau a fascist wannabe who has grabed more power for him and his government than any PM prior to him.  He is not a true fascist yet.  My point about Trudeau defending democracy in Ukraine is laughable when he did not do so in his taking tiny steps to infringe on democracy in Canada.

Putin is a true fascist in every sense of the word.  We all need to foget that far-right was added in the 1930s because they needed something to counter-balance the Soviet version of fascism, which had been labelled Communism for some reason.

Fascism and communism can potentially exist side by side.

One is a leadership ideology, the other is an economic system.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

and as I said in the other thread, I do not feel this way

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

My thoughts are that Putin is probably smart enough to know what he can and can not get away with.  Yes, he wants to set up Ukraine as a friendly, puppet, buffer nation, but Putin knows that he can not just start gobbling up multiple neighbors into the Russian empire and still avoid direct armed conflict with the west.

I believe that it will be Ukraine alone that is the target.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

My thoughts are that Putin is probably smart enough to know what he can and can not get away with.  Yes, he wants to set up Ukraine as a friendly, puppet, buffer nation, but Putin knows that he can not just start gobbling up multiple neighbors into the Russian empire and still avoid direct armed conflict with the west.

I believe that it will be Ukraine alone that is the target.

Ukraine was not in NATO but was getting stronger militarily, economically and institutionally as a democratic nation everyday. I'd guess Putin felt he had to act soon or he would never get his opportunity to strike at the hated free nation on his border. Doubt he strikes militarily at NATO, but his machinations against free nations will continue trying to undermine them from within. 

He might not be successful in Ukraine anyway. There's sketchy news coming out of the war zone of the beautiful flames coming Russian tanks. So hope that's true. Our Javelin Missiles are wonderfully deadly weapons and Ukraine has thousands of them. 

If Ucraine military is smart, pull back behind Djnepr river.   Organize and hold out and strike back from time to time.   

The more body bags going back to Russia, the more the people there will protest.   Though this is just a hopeful sign, most likely its over in a week.

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If Ucraine military is smart, pull back behind Djnepr river.   Organize and hold out and strike back from time to time.   

The more body bags going back to Russia, the more the people there will protest.   Though this is just a hopeful sign, most likely its over in a week.

200,000 troops to control 40,000,000 people. There is the hope Putin didn't hurl a wild cat at Ukraine, but instead he has beached a whale. But ya, that is just a hope at this point 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Fascism and communism can potentially exist side by side.

One is a leadership ideology, the other is an economic system.

I would agree with you concerning real communism, as Marx and others taught.  The kibbutz system in Israel is a form of real communism.

The Soviet system was not only economic, but leadership ideology and everything else in a traditional fascist state.  As stated, we need to get away from the fascist = far right line of thinking.

37 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

200,000 troops to control 40,000,000 people. There is the hope Putin didn't hurl a wild cat at Ukraine, but instead he has beached a whale. But ya, that is just a hope at this point 

According to past studies, the ideal ratio of occupying troops to citizens is 1 soldier for every 40 to 50 people. Russia is way short of that to say the least.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-ukraine-kharkiv-putin-war-conflict-invasion-1682246 Looks like they have fallen back but set up lethal ambushes. If that report above is true they slaughtered a Russian convoy there. I saw another story—unconfirmed— but with pictures of a Russian motorcycle unit that had been captured. So fall back but ambush. 

Saw the Russians had captured the airport near The capital. Strange they can hold it like that near probably a large concentration of Ukrainian troops. Maybe Russians using drones to cover the airfield from counter attack? 

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

There's also the issue of the pro-Russian element of the country. So who knows 

That would have to be a sizable chunk of the population in order to get the ratio down to optimal numbers. I’ve heard several interviews with pro Russian Ukrainians that see themselves as patriotic Ukrainians first and foremost. As to how many actual Russian separatists are in Ukraine, I couldn’t say. But again, it would have to be a huge number to get that ratio where it should be. 

37 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That would have to be a sizable chunk of the population in order to get the ratio down to optimal numbers. I’ve heard several interviews with pro Russian Ukrainians that see themselves as patriotic Ukrainians first and foremost. As to how many actual Russian separatists are in Ukraine, I couldn’t say. But again, it would have to be a huge number to get that ratio where it should be. 

I read an article in Wash Post about the history of us trying to organize Ukraine resistance during Cold War and always stumbled because of infiltration by pro-Russians. That’s what I had in mind when I read what you wrote, though I really hope  the Ukraine’s destroy this evil invasion  🇺🇦 

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I mean this should already be pulled from Russia 

What’s there to monitor? Russia invaded its neighbor in an act of unprovoked aggression. The IIHF doesn’t need to wait to announce the tournaments will be moved to a new locale.