Are we giving 6'6" 225# Erik Portillo his due? Could he be the Big Swede We Need?

Norcal

1 hour ago, Weave said:

They need to sign both this year.   We can’t risk losing Portillo to FA and Levi is clearly no longer being challenged in the NCAA.

Portillo might want to go back, if he did you can sign him next April and burn that elc year still. That is the difference between 2 years of finishing your elc or going college ufa.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Portillo might want to go back, if he did you can sign him next April and burn that elc year still. That is the difference between 2 years of finishing your elc or going college ufa.

So, he could sign NEXT off-season, burning 1 year of career earnings while being locked into the Sabres system w/ 1 year left on his 2 year ELC, OR he could stay in college for 1 additional year burning 1 additional year of career earnings while signing as a UFA anywhere on a 1 yr ELC.  All of that presuming he really wants to stay in school 1 more year.

Either way, at that point he'd effectively start his pro career the year following his last college season on a 1 year ELC.  Presuming the Sabres would still be willing to burn that 1 year of ELC for him.  (IF Levi & UPL are lights out AND the Sabres are in a playoff race, the circumstances might make getting him into an NHL game that spring problematic.  Not saying that's a given, but it IS possible, if not probable.)  At that point, staying in school 1 more year (or even going KHL for 1 year if there's nothing left to prove in college) isn't completely out of the question.

IMHO the Sabres should make it easy for him to decide to do what Biron says Levi has already decided to do.  Because, once he's down to 1 year remaining to become a 1 time UFA, that can become an attractive option to a kid w/ 2 young guys ahead of him in the pecking order.  They don't really gain much by waiting another year to sign him as he's considered a 22 YO at present per the CBA. 

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

IMHO the Sabres should make it easy for him to decide to do what Biron says Levi has already decided to do.  Because, once he's down to 1 year remaining to become a 1 time UFA, that can become an attractive option to a kid w/ 2 young guys ahead of him in the pecking order.  They don't really gain much by waiting another year to sign him as he's considered a 22 YO at present per the CBA. 

I’m sorry, what has Levi also decided to do?

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

So, he could sign NEXT off-season, burning 1 year of career earnings while being locked into the Sabres system w/ 1 year left on his 2 year ELC, OR he could stay in college for 1 additional year burning 1 additional year of career earnings while signing as a UFA anywhere on a 1 yr ELC.  All of that presuming he really wants to stay in school 1 more year.

Either way, at that point he'd effectively start his pro career the year following his last college season on a 1 year ELC.  Presuming the Sabres would still be willing to burn that 1 year of ELC for him.  (IF Levi & UPL are lights out AND the Sabres are in a playoff race, the circumstances might make getting him into an NHL game that spring problematic.  Not saying that's a given, but it IS possible, if not probable.)  At that point, staying in school 1 more year (or even going KHL for 1 year if there's nothing left to prove in college) isn't completely out of the question.

Yes.  Gotta get him, and Levi, into the system next year.

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"Kevyn Adams has done nothing to fix goaltending!"

The goaltending is already fixed, you just don't know it yet. 

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

LT it very likely is fixed.  Next season is the huge Question Mark.  And IF Levi doesn't need a year in Ra-cha-cha - then awesome.  But until he proves to be a Carey Price-like unicorn (& even he spent a significant portion of what would be Levi's next year in the A), he's not one.  Not expecting Portillo to be a unicorn.

Have said on multiple occasions, believe Levi will be the real deal.  But even with that, until he's ready, he's just potential.  Here's to hoping he's ready.

• Like (+1) 1

Hasek had bad games occasionally.  

The Sabres literally have no goaltending under contract next season. Tokarski, Dell, Houser, and Anderson are all UFAs and UPL is an RFA.

Levi is definitely getting signed and I wouldn't be surprised if Portillo is as well.  The question becomes how does KA layer veterans in with the 3 kids?  UPL, once re-signed likely starts in the NHL, then Levi and Portillo compete for the No. 1 spot in Rochester with loser starting in Cinn.  Sign Tokarski as the backup in Rochester and hopefully he acquires (trade or UFA) a good vet to split time with UPL in Buffalo. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

he gave up 5 on 40 1/13 and then 4 on 8 1/22.  The 5 goal game was bookended by two shutouts.  He has given up 7 goals on this last 39 shots however.  Distracted by Olympic Games speculation? 

Or Sabres offered contract?

Either way, for someone who prepares so meticulously, something was distracting him. 

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

he gave up 5 on 40 1/13 and then 4 on 8 1/22.  The 5 goal game was bookended by two shutouts.  He has given up 7 goals on this last 39 shots however.  Distracted by Olympic Games speculation? 

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Either way, for someone who prepares so meticulously, something was distracting him. 

Would put money down the cause for him appearing human traces back to 1 of those 2 reasons.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:53 AM, dudacek said:

I wonder what happens if Anderson, UPL and Levi finish the season well.

UPL would almost certainly have a spot in Buffalo then. Levi will be one of the goalies in Rochester.

Would they bring in a Mrazek or Korpisalo type over signing Craig for another year?

If Craig wants to come back I'd have him. Especially with weird taxi squad rules in place. 

Can do a lot worse for 750k... as we've seen...

• Like (+1) 1

I just hope that Portillo doesn't follow the Cal Petersen model where he stayed in school longer to sign a FA deal with the LA Kings. It worked out well for him.

Isn't it refreshing to be talking about players and positions that have an abundance of prospects who will be competing with one another? That certainly beats having a dearth of prospects in the system. 

What has become apparent is that the goalie position has a high rate of injuries. Can't have too many! 

UPL has shown glimpses that he can be a NHL goalie. What he has also shown is that he is prone to injuries since he was drafted by the team. If I had to make a bet on our eventual long term goalie my money is on Levi. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I just hope that Portillo doesn't follow the Cal Petersen model where he stayed in school longer to sign a FA deal with the LA Kings. It worked out well for him.

Isn't it refreshing to be talking about players and positions that have an abundance of prospects who will be competing with one another? That certainly beats having a dearth of prospects in the system. 

What has become apparent is that the goalie position has a high rate of injuries. Can't have too many! 

UPL has shown glimpses that he can be a NHL goalie. What he has also shown is that he is prone to injuries since he was drafted by the team. If I had to make a bet on our eventual long term goalie my money is on Levi. 

What's wrong with you, John C? Don't bring that bad juju here . . . 

On 2/1/2022 at 2:54 PM, Norcal said:

Chicks. It was some chicks who were distracting him. 

(I have no idea just guessing based on my college experience)

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.