Are we giving 6'6" 225# Erik Portillo his due? Could he be the Big Swede We Need?

Norcal

Portillo needs some love. 

Through the first 19 games of the NCAA season where Portillo was the #1 goalie, he had some ups and down culminating in a dismal performance on Dec 11 in which he had a 0868sv%. During the span of those first 19 games he had 6 or 31.5% of his games end with a sv% below .9 and frankly considering the team he was on, that isn't good enough. In those first 19 games his sv% comes out at 0.912% (rounded). Now you may have noticed that I said Dec 11 as a cutoff date and there is reason... 

On Dec 29th Portillo had his next start, it was a 27 sv shutout. In the 9 games starting on the 29th that Portillo has played he has a 0.953 sv% his lowest sv% in that span is a .92 he got in a 2-1 loss. These 9 games account for 32% of his total games played this season so that is a pretty solid sample size. Now it probably is not all Portillo but he should be getting some credit for what he has been doing. His 0.953% would be in the conversation with Levi if he were able to sustain that for an entire season (which yes did not happen) and shows that he seems to have settled into his role. Looking at the numbers there is not another 5 game streak let alone 9 where he didn't drop a bad game. Consistency is a key characteristic of good goaltending so hopefully Portillo has adapted to the NCAA level and shows consistency the rest of the way. 

First 19 games: 0.912% (10/8-12/11)

Last 9 games: 0.953% (12/29-1/29)

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think depending on what Portillo wants, I would try and sign him but I would not burn an ELC year to do it. I know that seems to not make sense but I would sign him this summer and keep his ELC going from 2022-2025. 

You are signing Levi and having him start in Rochester burning his ECL as the other half of that equation if I'm remembering your position correctly. One more year for Portillo in college, then to Rochester with him in 2023. 

At the start of 2024-25 season three *home grown* goalies will be fighting for 2 spots on the big club. If this is also KA's plan we will never see a FA signing in goal for longer than 1 year, if at all, this summer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Portillo has played just 98 games over the past 4 years. 

“Need” might be too strong a word, but he definitely could benefit from more development, especially if Michigan has a talent drain and he is forced to be more of a difference-maker as a result.

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Does Portillo need another year in college?

12 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

No he needs to be in the AHL next year and he went full MVP the 2nd half of the year for  Michigan.

Also isn't michigan going through  serious allegations that could result in  Suspension for the hockey program next year 

That would be a deal breaker for sure.

If they sign him and Levi they need to at least split the Rochester net and have the odd call up for the hotter hand.

Team MVP

B1G Tournament Outstanding Player Award

B1G Champion

29 wins 2.04 gaa .929 save %

Big, Strong, Athletic 

This kid is coming to Buffalo for a starting job and I don't think Devon Levi or anyone else will be able to stop him. 

Of course, since goalies are weird and they all develop at their own glacial pace it seems, that may be a few years. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.