UPL called Up, Tokarski in Covid Protocol

Brawndo

I hope UPL messes up KA's tank. Amazing what good goaltending does for a team. This young team needs to taste some victory's to survive. We may not make the playoffs and that's fine with me. Just play good hockey and don't quit on games, because that's what happens when you have a goalie you don't trust. It has been fun to watch hockey again the last few games. Keep it up.

• Like (+1) 1

I know it’s a small sample size but UPL looks ready. If this continues it will force some tough decisions. Granato had basically said a few interviews back that it’s a shorter call up he can use to get experience to make the most of and he didn’t want to get into the temptation to use too many Rochester players this year. This may get interesting. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MBD said:

Why?

There's still a few technical deficiencies in his game that need to be worked out and it's best, IMO, for a young goaltender to fine tune his game at the AHL level.   

That said you ride the hot hand.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

There's still a few technical deficiencies in his game that need to be worked out and it's best, IMO, for a young goaltender to fine tune his game at the AHL level.   

That said you ride the hot hand.

Despite his technical deficiencies, he's still the best G they have right now.  And you get better playing against better competition.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure which thread we were having the intense debate on the relevance of UPL's numbers in Rochester over the past two years, but Seth Appert had a great response to that in his INstigators podcast.

Essentially, he said it was about sample size.

He's played 12 games in Rochester this year, 2 or 3 of them early were absolutely stinkers, and to Appert's mind outliers. His play since is more indicative of his typical game. But the outliers are too much to overcome statistically in a 12-game sample.

Similarly, he said that last year UPL was very good until he got COVID (which I don't think I knew about) and it took him a while to get back up to full speed after COVID. Again, the COVID recovery period represents an unusually large portion of a 14-game sample size.

Over 100 games in a typical 2-year stretch these 2 "blips" wouldn't have had significant impact on his numbers. But he only played 26, so they do.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not sure which thread we were having the intense debate on the relevance of UPL's numbers in Rochester over the past two years, but Seth Appert had a great response to that in his INstigators podcast.

Essentially, he said it was about sample size.

He's played 12 games in Rochester this year, 2 or 3 of them early were absolutely stinkers, and to Appert's mind outliers. His play since is more indicative of his typical game. But the outliers are too much to overcome statistically in a 12-game sample.

Similarly, he said that last year UPL was very good until he got COVID (which I don't think I knew about) and it took him a while to get back up to full speed after COVID. Again, the COVID recovery period represents an unusually large portion of a 14-game sample size.

Over 100 games in a typical 2-year stretch these 2 "blips" wouldn't have had significant impact on his numbers. But he only played 26, so they do.

Appreciate that Appert is standing up for his player, but really not sure how COVID recuperation caused him to leave 4" above his shoulders when squaring up for shots for months on end, some of which were prior to COVID being identified.  He's stopped doing that (oddly enough right after Dell got called up) and has looked like he might be a goalie after all since then.  His movement in the crease has also improved since the Dell call up.

Still believe it was a mental block that affected his play after the hip surgeries and am very pleased for him & us that he seems past it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.