GDT: Sabres at Red Wings, Thu., Sept 30 at 7:30 PM ET, WGR 550, Streaming on Sabres.com

Doohickie

39 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It's going to be a long season 

I think there wasn't much doubt among many of us this would be primarily a 'losing' season. Whether it is a long season depends on what you want from it.

If you are all about Wins and Losses, this is likely to be a LONG season.

However, if you are looking for that 1 or maybe 2 games a month that surprise you in a positive way....or more importantly looking for occasional flashes from some of the young guys (even if they aren't happening on a regular basis and are happening in otherwise ugly losses), then the season may not be so long.

Or, and this may be the biggest thing....if the 2nd half of the season is better than the first have (even if still with a losing record), or the last 20 games of the season are better than any other 20 game stretch, this might actually be an enjoyable season to follow.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I think there wasn't much doubt among many of us this would be primarily a 'losing' season. Whether it is a long season depends on what you want from it.

If you are all about Wins and Losses, this is likely to be a LONG season.

However, if you are looking for that 1 or maybe 2 games a month that surprise you in a positive way....or more importantly looking for occasional flashes from some of the young guys (even if they aren't happening on a regular basis and are happening in otherwise ugly losses), then the season may not be so long.

Or, and this may be the biggest thing....if the 2nd half of the season is better than the first have (even if still with a losing record), or the last 20 games of the season are better than any other 20 game stretch, this might actually be an enjoyable season to follow.

Or maybe we get a decent goaltender from somewhere. Miracles happen in hockey. 

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

@ubkevfor the win 

"The decision or course of action has been determined and cannot be changed. For example, Now that I've announced my resignation, the die is cast. This expression comes from the Latin Iacta alea est, “the dice have been thrown,” which according to Suetonius was said by Julius Caesar when he crossed the Rubicon and invaded Italy in 49 b.c. In English it dates from the first half of the 1600s."

Caesar crossing the Rubicon in 49 b.c. and the subsequent expression basically means no going back because things are not set in motion that cannot be stopped. Caesar for example had now taken his imperium and army and left the province he could legally use that in. This was a huge no and resulted in the Roman Civil War. 

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Caesar crossing the Rubicon in 49 b.c. and the subsequent expression basically means no going back because things are not set in motion that cannot be stopped. Caesar for example had now taken his imperium and army and left the province he could legally use that in. This was a huge no and resulted in the Roman Civil War. 

The end of the Republic 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I believe that's the expectation of Sabres management.... it's been said many times on this forum that this will be a season for development.  If that's the case this team will be significantly better in the spring than at the start of the season.

• spndnchz pinned and unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I only watched a little, and it was my first time seeing him, but what is it that made Quinn a top 10 pick?  For starters, it appears that his skating is very average. 

Maybe his game just has a lot of growing to do in the next few years. 

His positioning seems good but he's definitely not NHL ready.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I only watched a little, and it was my first time seeing him, but what is it that made Quinn a top 10 pick?  For starters, it appears that his skating is very average. 

Maybe his game just has a lot of growing to do in the next few years. 

His brain isn't processing the game at NHL speed yet.  It'll come.  Hopefully.

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

They're both wrong.  Tom was referring to the team is already getting shade (a dye or coloration) thrown it's way.  2nd earliest start ever.

(No, not really.  It was likely just a typo on his part.  But it "sounds" good.  😉 )

Typo, but man, I wish I came up with that explanation.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.