New Players--Start a Team Tradition

cny sabre

Since we are starting with new players this season, lets start as a team and not individuals. Remember the Sabres under Danny Gare as a leader? They had the Sabre dance as a team song. It played and they'll remember it. This year I suggest it be played as the team enters the ice for each period. Also when a goal is scored, a blast of the horn and the sabre dance. Last when the stars of the game for Buffalo, again the Sabre dance. Make the feel and think as a team. We have had stars and no cup, now let's have a team and the cup 

• Like (+1) 1

I think that winning is a great tradition that this team really need to pick up.  Thanks, Charlie.

That said, I think this team is nothing like the Gare era teams, so I think there should be a new tradition started, not a retread.  Especially one that doesn't really work for this group.  I have no idea what this new tradition should / could be.

26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think that winning is a great tradition that this team really need to pick up.  Thanks, Charlie.

That said, I think this team is nothing like the Gare era teams, so I think there should be a new tradition started, not a retread.  Especially one that doesn't really work for this group.  I have no idea what this new tradition should / could be.

The current tradition is bad coaching and management.  The best new tradition would be for the Pegulas to hire competent management, not a rink manager with no credentials to run the team.  Get good management (see Buffalo Bills),  your team's winning culture will follow.  We actually might have stubbled on the right coach.  Now if the darn GM would get him so friggin' goaltending. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

At the very least playing like you care. I expect that under Granato to start.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The current tradition is bad coaching and management.  The best new tradition would be for the Pegulas to hire competent management, not a rink manager with no credentials to run the team.  Get good management (see Buffalo Bills),  your team's winning culture will follow.  We actually might have stubbled on the right coach.  Now if the darn GM would get him so friggin' goaltending. 

You've already passed judgement on a 2nd year GM and a coach with about 20 games as an interim. I can tell you no one thought McDermott or Beane were the answer for the Bills when they came in.  So give them a chance since you don't have a choice.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Topshelf13 said:

Start with a new goal song, the current one is old and stale even in its infrequent use. And yes we need a goaltender.  

Yes we need a goaltender. Please go back to an organ! Can't stand the music now.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Topshelf13 said:

Start with a new goal song, the current one is old and stale even in its infrequent use. And yes we need a goaltender.  

Yes. (Incoming summer rerun: and the PA guy, the anthem singer, the horn, the organist who played Closing Time when the opponent scored an empty net goal, the mascot; just eradicate every sight and sound associated, unfairly, with losing. And, yes, for now that probably includes Sabre Dance, which is still played often at games.)

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So McDermott is the corner of the coffeetable. Interesting. I hadn't thought of him that way.

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't been to a game in a while, but Sabre Dance should be played all the time when the team enters the ice.

As far as the goal song, pick something different, almost ANYTHING different. The current song I disliked when they picked it....and it has gotten worse because yes, it is played when a goal is scored but it is very little but a reminder of this entire awful era of the Sabres during the years it was used. 

No offense to anyone who likes it as a goal song...but please, remove it from use, burn any physical or digital copy of it you have, and never speak of that song again around the Arena.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You've already passed judgement on a 2nd year GM and a coach with about 20 games as an interim. I can tell you no one thought McDermott or Beane were the answer for the Bills when they came in.  So give them a chance since you don't have a choice.

What has KA done in two off-seasons that shows you he even remotely has a clue as to how to build and manage a hockey team.  Was it all the goaltending he brought in to upgrade the position?  Was it finding good players in trade or free agency? Was it the intelligent contracts?  Was it the great value in trade? Seriously name one position he actually upgrade so far in his tenure?  If it isn’t any of these actions, then your must be relying on his stellar management career prior to becoming GM.

As to DG, certainly some of my opinion is partially based on his 20+ stint as the coach.  However is actually based mostly on his 30 year successful coaching career at all levels.  I asked for a teacher back when we hired RK and instead we got Rasputin.  Now we have a proven teacher for a young team.  

Unlike KA, Beane was a known commodity in the football world with significant experience in all aspects of running a NFL team.  He just hadn’t been the top guy. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

What has KA done in two off-seasons that shows you he even remotely has a clue as to how to build and manage a hockey team.  Was it all the goaltending he brought in to upgrade the position?  Was it finding good players in trade or free agency? Was it the intelligent contracts?  Was it the great value in trade? Seriously name one position he actually upgrade so far in his tenure?  If it isn’t as of these actions, then your must be relying on his stellar management career prior to becoming GM.

As to DG, may opinion although partially based on his 20+ stint is actually based mostly on his 30 year successful coaching career at all levels.  I asked for a teacher back when we hired RK and instead we got Rasputin.  Now we have a proven teacher for a young team.  

Unlike KA, Beane was a known commodity in the football world with significant experience in all aspects of running a NFL team.  He just hadn’t been the top guy. 

He fired Krueger.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He fired Krueger.

Even that was 2 weeks to late and after a press conference where he stated he needed to review the situation before making a decision.

That’s pretty sad when his firing an incompetent coach is the basis for your opinion.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Even that was 2 weeks to late and after a press conference where he stated he needed to review the situation before making a decision.

That’s pretty sad when his firing an incompetent coach is the basis for your opinion.

🤣  Two weeks too late!!! He gave the WRONG answer at a presser!!  OMFG!  What's sad to me is not seeing a situation for what it was. KA had to abide by Krueger's wishes because he was the incumbent. No players moves Adams made under Krueger should matter one bit. Also consider what it took for a rookie GM to go to the owners and tell them Krueger needed to be turfed!

The clock on Kevyn Adams, for me, started with this offseason. He hired HIS coach and assistants. He signed who he signed for whatever reasons. Judge him going forward from here.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

🤣  Two weeks too late!!! He gave the WRONG answer at a presser!!  OMFG!  What's sad to me is not seeing a situation for what it was. KA had to abide by Krueger's wishes because he was the incumbent. No players moves Adams made under Krueger should matter one bit. Also consider what it took for a rookie GM to go to the owners and tell them Krueger needed to be turfed!

The clock on Kevyn Adams, for me, started with this offseason. He hired HIS coach and assistants. He signed who he signed for whatever reasons. Judge him going forward from here.

It wasn’t RK who didn’t upgrade Hutton. It wasn’t RK who gave Hall $8 mill, so he couldn’t afford a goaltending upgrade, and a full NMC.  It wasn’t RK who overpaid Eakin in $ and term.  

I’m sorry he doesn’t get a pass for making stupid decisions.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It wasn’t RK who didn’t upgrade Hutton. It wasn’t RK who gave Hall $8 mill, so he couldn’t afford a goaltending upgrade, and a full NMC.  It wasn’t RK who overpaid Eakin in $ and term.  

I’m sorry he doesn’t get a pass for making stupid decisions.  

Okay, okay. He stinks. But he's not going anywhere. So deal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.