2021 NHL Draft, Friday 7/23/2021, 8pm EST

WildCard

20 minutes ago, rakish said:

I find it hilarious that Montreal took Logan what's his name.

How could they be so out of touch?

An entire room of people thought this was a good idea. Maybe we need more women in front offices.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Hoss said:

An entire room of people thought this was a good idea. Maybe we need more women in front offices.

For me it's an NHL problem. Take him off the board, put him back in the draft next year. There's zero benefit to alienating a significant group of potential fans.

51 minutes ago, rakish said:

Really!!?? You'd think that after the habfan angst over price getting exposed they'd want to court some positive publicity. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Does Bader watch players or just basically calculate their statistics?

Low-scoring winger does not match his game at all, only his SHL numbers this year.

From that tweet it sure seems like he knows nothing about Rosen apart from raw stats.  There is a lot of ignored context there.  It doesn’t reflect well on Bader.

8 hours ago, Curt said:

I agree.  Also, Rosen was ranked at 18 on McKenzie’s final scout survey board, so it’s not even like at 13 he was a big reach vs general scouting opinion.

It wasn't. PPL need to look at his U18 and his J20 tape and numbers not the SHL. 

2 hours ago, rakish said:

Waking up and seeing this is shocking. You want to take him in the 3rd or something, fine. I get it that it is a business and kids make mistakes and all that stuff. You don't need to make him a first round choice with the type of talent left on the board. 

Speaking of which, Raty is still available... unless there's some attitude problem there I really don't understand that. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Waking up and seeing this is shocking. You want to take him in the 3rd or something, fine. I get it that it is a business and kids make mistakes and all that stuff. You don't need to make him a first round choice with the type of talent left on the board. 

Speaking of which, Raty is still available... unless there's some attitude problem there I really don't understand that. 

Regarding Raty, I thought I saw some stuff about him really struggling with confidence this past season.  Maybe there is some mental health things going on that scouts know about, and “confidence” is just kind of being used as a cover word.

Total speculation on my part.

10 hours ago, WildCard said:

Well we had our fun

I don't always agree with Bader and here is one of those times. Rosen's 5minutes a night in the SHL while being 160lbs and 17 isn't really projectable. His j20 numbers at 17 is more so. This is a kid who has LOTS of talent and sandpaper but just needs to eat constantly and add 30lbs of muscle. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Not that anyone cares what I think but after sleeping on it, I think a solid B is the right grade for Buffalo's first round. 

Owen Power, the top pick has some projectible qualities but lacks the high end offense that you want. Now before someone attacks, Power could develop this as he has good vision in the offensive zone and is deceptive with his rushes and passes. He can walk the line although I would want a little more agility (he's big so that can come in time but he needs to focus on this feet over the next year). For me I think you can find a defender like him in the teens most drafts and that defenders at 1 really need to be special. The great news is that I love Owen Power as a person, he is thoughtful, smart, hard working, and seems very mature. 

Isak Rosen, is a undersized fireball. The good news is he might be 6' or 6'1" by the time he hits Buffalo and will be 30lbs heavier. Lots of runway here and the summer showcase will give us a good feel for him. He has great skating and a good shot that will get better with more strength. He plays all over the ice and is really committed to being involved 200ft even if his defensive game needs some refinement. This is all about projection with him. I had him at 16 on my board because of all the skills he has and I do believe this is a case of being undersized for the league as he lost a lot of board battles. Listen to a Rosen interview though, he knows exactly what his issues are and he was excited as hell to get drafted. Like Power I think he comes off as smart and thoughtful about his game and really hope he lights up the SHL this year. He needs to hit about 170 before the SHL season starts to really start to leverage his skill more. 

So why a B? Is it because I am all grumpy about Power? No. This will shock everyone but I really like Owen Power, I just thought others will be better in the NHL. The reason for the B is because both Rosen and Power will need to do a lot of hard work to max themselves out and that adds variables. If they reach their ceilings, Buffalo got a 45pt zone smothering defender who can eat opponents and a 60-70 point 35g scoring winger who is like a more skilled JJ Peterka (contact doesn't bother them and they skate really well all over the ice). That is a lot to ask so I think they will fall a bit short of that and so B. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.