GDT Sabres at Rangers 7PM 3-2-21

spndnchz

Just now, Curt said:

I agree that fights rarely impact the actual gameplay.  I’m not fighting fan.

At the same time, I love that Cozens showed that emotion.  This team doesn’t have enough.

That emotion needs to be find a way to score a goal. 

Did Dylan’s absence for 5 minutes help the team?

1 minute ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m guessing the response would be “still didn’t make a difference in the game outcome so it was pointless.”

I already said that. I’m glad you saw the same thing. 👍

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Sabres next 10 games....

1). Islanders
2). Islanders
3). Islanders
4). Flyers
5). Penguins
6). Penguins
7). Capitals
8). Devils
9). Bruins 
10). Bruins 

How bad is it going to get?

Their stretch to make up ground on the teams they were immediately trailing and the teams also in the basement is half-over. Once that first Penguins game hits, the season is mathematically over because the teams to leapfrog have crushed us. Unless we sweep the Pens and Bruins, I suppose.

But we needed to gain points on the Flyers, we didn't. We needed to beat the Devils and Rangers, we didn't. Unless we sweep the Islanders, the math won't add up unless we do some Hamburgler 20-2 garbage that this goaltending (sans Ullmark) is incapable of.

So... sell it off and plan for next season. It's a shorter season so the pain won't last as long.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Can someone explain to me why I would be wrong to consider these stats near meaningless because I'm not sure how much of Fox and Shesterkin Skinner saw.

Their top pair dismantled our top line and Skinner had a nice night against the bottom pair.  If you consider not scoring a nice evening.  

I don't need advanced stats to tell me this.  

What am I missing?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SwampD said:

Would his presence have?

No idea what would have happened. 🤷🏻 I know what happened with the fight. We lost. I know why fighting is discouraged in the league. It doesn’t help you win. 

I’ll try and dig up tough guy John Torterella’s quote about this.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

No idea what would have happened. 🤷🏻 I know what happened with the fight. We lost. I know why fighting is discouraged in the league. It doesn’t help you win. 

BS.

It's not just about fighting. It's about passion. It's about caring.

After several wins in the SCFs last year, several Tampa players mentioned postgame how the physical additions to the team and their play made the difference. They were always talented, it wasn't until they got tough that they won. Maybe it was coincidence. I don't believe it was.

It matters. Okposo said it's the most they've fired up they've been. Ask them if it doesn't matter. I know I know, they didn't score.

It's lucky that we'll never know if without the fight, the Rags score another and then 2 more EN for a 6-2 final.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

Because the fight is worthless to the score of the game.

You all can argue with a guy on the internet, but every coach across every team has made the strategic  decision to sign hockey players and not fighters. Yell at them. 

If it was worth something it would be tracked by analytics and coaches would employ it as a tactic. I’m sorry you all miss the 70s. The game has moved on. 

The 70's comment is lazy on your part. Nobody fights in this league ? EVER? It still happens. Its a typical comment from the "beautiful game" advocates. Watch this league and tell me if we are playing a flowing, beautiful, end to end, great action game every night. The NHL is not that at all. It is quite the opposite. The game you are looking for was  played in the 1980's and Early 90's. The NHL is the same boring hook, hold, and grab it has been for the last 20 years. Have you seen the Islanders, Flyers, Bruins, Devils, Blues, Predators, Panthers, Blue Jackets, Stars, Etc.    

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, SDS said:

Because the fight is worthless to the score of the game.

You all can argue with a guy on the internet, but every coach across every team has made the strategic  decision to sign hockey players and not fighters. Yell at them. 

If it was worth something it would be tracked by analytics and coaches would employ it as a tactic. I’m sorry you all miss the 70s. The game has moved on. 

I'm sorry I missed this, cuz that is hilarious. 

It isn't hockey people who are deciding what to track.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

BS.

It's not just about fighting. It's about passion. It's about caring.

After several wins in the SCFs last year, several Tampa players mentioned postgame how the physical additions to the team and their play made the difference. They were always talented, it wasn't until they got tough that they won. Maybe it was coincidence. I don't believe it was.

It matters. Okposo said it's the most they've fired up they've been. Ask them if it doesn't matter. I know I know, they didn't score.

It's lucky that we'll never know if without the fight, the Rags score another and then 2 more EN for a 6-2 final.

That might have happened. I don’t know. 🤷🏻

The good thing is we got points in the “it matters” column. 

Just now, SDS said:

That might have happened. I don’t know. 🤷🏻

The good thing is we got points in the “it matters” column. 

Not for nothin, but that is a step in the right direction for this team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

It's discouraged in the league because it's terrified of liability lawsuits.  Period. 

We are all good and know that you don't have a place in this league if you're a head hunting goon.

But the fact that there has been a concerted effort to limit fighting and limit physicality so that teams like the 95-96 Sabres can't exist is a shame and the league is worse off because of it.  

The Cozens fight was the only exciting thing about this game tonight.  That should tell you something.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'm sorry I missed this, cuz that is hilarious. 

It isn't hockey people who are deciding what to track.

I’m sure no one has looked at this. It has probably occurred to no one. Although no one tracks “corsi after fights share” for some reason and the GMs no longer draft/sign Rob Ray or Andrew Peters or anyone of their ilk. But please keep explaining to me how much it matters. The billion dollar league has already spoken. 

5 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

It's discouraged in the league because it's terrified of liability lawsuits.  Period. 

We are all good and know that you don't have a place in this league if you're a head hunting goon.

But the fact that there has been a concerted effort to limit fighting and limit physicality so that teams like the 95-96 Sabres can't exist is a shame and the league is worse off because of it.  

The Cozens fight was the only exciting thing about this game tonight.  That should tell you something.  

Approximate age?

19 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

Can someone explain to me why I would be wrong to consider these stats near meaningless because I'm not sure how much of Fox and Shesterkin Skinner saw.

Their top pair dismantled our top line and Skinner had a nice night against the bottom pair.  If you consider not scoring a nice evening.  

I don't need advanced stats to tell me this.  

What am I missing?

These stats show that Skinner’s line played very well in the role they were deployed in this game.  That’s all.

If you watched the game and saw the same thing, that’s cool.  If someone didn’t watch and just checked these numbers, they could learn something they wouldn’t otherwise know.

Just because the numbers show something that you already believe to be true doesn’t mean they are meaningless.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, SDS said:

Literally made ZERO difference. Lost 3-2. Number of goals scored after the fight - ZERO. Play prior and after - the same. 

Thankfully he didn’t break his hand hitting something that made zero difference. 

Sooooo..... they are only allowed to fight in a blowout?  You must love your Men's League!  Lol... Believe it or not, fighting is still a part of the game and can help influence an outcome.  And Duh, obviously this fight didn't change the outcome, but it should go a long way in the dressing room.  Put a "C" on the kid's jersey!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Curt said:

These stats show that Skinner’s line played very well in the role they were deployed in this game.  That’s all.

If you watched the game and saw the same thing, that’s cool.  If someone didn’t watch and just checked these numbers, they could learn something they wouldn’t otherwise know.

Just because the numbers show something that you already believe to be true doesn’t mean they are meaningless.

I'm saying that at first glance yes Skinner had a good night.  

I would hope so considering he was against their 3rd D pair most of the evening.  Is that pair NHL quality?  It's a 3rd pair on a garbage team..

The bigger story is the Eichel line getting shut down by the top pair.  

That's it.  You can look at that and say hey Skinner is playing well let's put him with Eichel and chances are the way this season has gone he's going to be at the bottom of that chart.  

If you want to defend RK here.....he would tell you this is exactly why Skinner is away from Eichel.  To draw favorable match ups on ice and he still can't score.  

28 minutes ago, SDS said:

I half agree.

This is a team that’s been pretty lost and listless recently.  So I appreciate the spark of intensity a lot.

If this was a quality team, playing well, fighting for playoff position, I would still appreciate the intensity, but I would probably say it was dumb because of poor timing.

Cozens did take one of their defensive defensemen off the ice for 5 mins as well though, so it kinda sorta evened out.

Just now, SDS said:

I’m sure no one has looked at this. It has probably occurred to no. Although no one tracks “corsi after fights share” for some reason and the GMs no longer draft/sign Rob Ray or Andrew Peters or anyone of their ilk. But please keep explaining to me how much it matters. The billion dollar league has already spoken. 

We've had many discussions here about defensive plays that are very important skills, they just also happen to be completely undata-able. Just because something isn't tracked by a bunch of data nerds (I use the term lovingly) doesn't mean it isn't important to the game of hockey.

By your logic, do you feel the same about Skinners game tonight?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’m sure no one has looked at this. It has probably occurred to no one. Although no one tracks “corsi after fights share” for some reason and the GMs no longer draft/sign Rob Ray or Andrew Peters or anyone of their ilk. But please keep explaining to me how much it matters. The billion dollar league has already spoken. 

Approximate age?

Come again?

*that's what she......ok..nm....*

Edited by Second Line Center

3 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

I'm saying that at first glance yes Skinner had a good night.  

I would hope so considering he was against their 3rd D pair most of the evening.  Is that pair NHL quality?  It's a 3rd pair on a garbage team..

The bigger story is the Eichel line getting shut down by the top pair.  

That's it.  You can look at that and say hey Skinner is playing well let's put him with Eichel and chances are the way this season has gone he's going to be at the bottom of that chart.  

If you want to defend RK here.....he would tell you this is exactly why Skinner is away from Eichel.  To draw favorable match ups on ice and he still can't score.  

Yeah.  The stat tells only part of the story.  That means it’s a lot like every other stat which exists.

The numbers say what they say.  They don’t tell you everything.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SDS said:

I didn’t. I don’t have time to read every post.

Glad to hear I was on point though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.