Jump to content

What's up with Mittelstadt?


Recommended Posts

Every Buffalo RFA except Casey Mittelstadt  was signed before the end of October. Every other RFA with no arbitration rights was signed by Oct. 6.

There has been no talk about negotiations. No whispers about what kind of progress (or lack thereof) this formerly prized prospect has made in this extended off-season.

We are approximately three weeks away from a hoped-for training camp. The Sabres have not done anything significant in nearly a month. It shouldn't be a difficult contract, because Casey has basically no leverage.

But we've had complete and utter radio silence.

What's going on?

Edited by dudacek
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why nothing is going on.  However, nothing is going on anywhere.  Good UFAs Haula, Hoffman, DuClair, Granland, and Vatanen all remain unsigned.  TB has yet to sign Sergachev, Cernak or Cirelli or fix their cap issues.  I don't think Barzal has signed either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

They tried to call, but he was too busy playing fortnite to answer on his iwatch 

To be fair, it’s super addicting. I’m at level 108. I use a Wolverine skin and I have some pretty sweet dance moves.  Too bad I can’t tea bag like I used to with Halo.   

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not sure why nothing is going on.  However, nothing is going on anywhere.  Good UFAs Haula, Hoffman, DuClair, Granland, and Vatanen all remain unsigned.  TB has yet to sign Sergachev, Cernak or Cirelli or fix their cap issues.  I don't think Barzal has signed either.

Those guys are all caught in the cap squeeze and are in tough to get fair market value. Buffalo has space and Casey should be signing for peanuts.

Is it about demanding a one-way deal?

Is he a possible trade chip and both sides are willing to wait to see if a deal is consummated?

Is it just the typical 'stretch it out until camp starts' negotiating tool?

Also, what kind of shape is he in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Those guys are all caught in the cap squeeze and are in tough to get fair market value. Buffalo has space and Casey should be signing for peanuts.

Is it about demanding a one-way deal?

Is he a possible trade chip and both sides are willing to wait to see if a deal is consummated?

Is it just the typical 'stretch it out until camp starts' negotiating tool?

Also, what kind of shape is he in?

Maybe Casey wants a multi year deal like Thompson got.  Maybe the Sabres want a multi year deal and Casey doesn't.  Who knows.  There isn't any urgency.  Camp may or may not start in Jan.  Once we get close to the opening, the Sabres can always say sign the QO or don't play. If Casey bolts to the KHL or SHL, the Sabres retain his rights just like Pilut, but I doubt he will bolt.  Most likely is Casey wants a one way contract and the Sabres correctly don't want to give him one.  Frankly Casey should just sign the QO go to camp and earn a job.    

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, inkman said:

To be fair, it’s super addicting. I’m at level 108. I use a Wolverine skin and I have some pretty sweet dance moves.  Too bad I can’t tea bag like I used to with Halo.   

I'm picturing a Red Dawn letter jacket.

As to Casey's RFA deal, there's no rush until some concrete plans are announced for the season.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I'm picturing a Red Dawn letter jacket.

As to Casey's RFA deal, there's no rush until some concrete plans are announced for the season.

Concrete? Like the stuff in Casey’s skates?  You know what I’m saying?  Maybe I’ll transition to Sabrespace’s resident hack comedian.
 

Transition?  I’d say you already wearing the crown inky!  Heyoo!  

  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mittelstadt can't negotiate with anyone but the Sabres.  So, it could actually be as simple as the Sabres expect him to be an Amerk out of the gate, but they don't know if the AHL will play nor what the economics of the AHL will look like, so since there is no urgency on signing him (it's August right now 😉 ) he hasn't been signed & won't be signed until whatever is happening there is figured out.

If he were going to Europe, would've happened by now as teams seem to be playing over there.

He's pretty much done whatever they've asked of him until now.  Don't see him bucking for a 1 way deal with no leverage and ~ 9 players ahead of him in the quest for a top 6 role on the Sabres.  He'll need to beat somebody out for a 4th line role as well at present, so can see him wanting a 1 way deal, but can't see him getting 1 this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not giving up on Casey.  He's got too much skill. He just needs to mature and become the pro we expected when he was drafted.  Let E Staal mentor him.  I think this could be the year he takes a big step in maturity.  

 

Ink, love the Halo tea bag reference.  It made me laugh out loud.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Those guys are all caught in the cap squeeze and are in tough to get fair market value. Buffalo has space and Casey should be signing for peanuts.

Is it about demanding a one-way deal?

Is he a possible trade chip and both sides are willing to wait to see if a deal is consummated?

Is it just the typical 'stretch it out until camp starts' negotiating tool?

Also, what kind of shape is he in?

We definitely haven't heard anything promising re:Casey WRT offseason training, and that he's refusing to sign his QO is the cherry on top. He has zero leverage. He's wholly unimpressive at this stage. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Mittelstadt can't negotiate with anyone but the Sabres.  So, it could actually be as simple as the Sabres expect him to be an Amerk out of the gate, but they don't know if the AHL will play nor what the economics of the AHL will look like, so since there is no urgency on signing him (it's August right now 😉 ) he hasn't been signed & won't be signed until whatever is happening there is figured out.

If he were going to Europe, would've happened by now as teams seem to be playing over there.

He's pretty much done whatever they've asked of him until now.  Don't see him bucking for a 1 way deal with no leverage and ~ 9 players ahead of him in the quest for a top 6 role on the Sabres.  He'll need to beat somebody out for a 4th line role as well at present, so can see him wanting a 1 way deal, but can't see him getting 1 this year.

I think there's no urgency because the Sabres have already levied their best offer. It's in Casey's court now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think GMKA is actively shopping Mittelstadt. Mittelstadt has no leverage in any contract discussion and would basically have to take anything within the 925k - 1.5 mil range Adams gives him. If a deal hasn't happened yet I have a hard time believing that GMKA isn't trying to trade him.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2020 at 3:21 PM, Beer said:

Not giving up on Casey.  He's got too much skill. He just needs to mature and become the pro we expected when he was drafted.  Let E Staal mentor him.  I think this could be the year he takes a big step in maturity.  

 

Ink, love the Halo tea bag reference.  It made me laugh out loud.d

How can Staal mentor him if Casey is in another league?    More likely Staal will work with Cozens.  Cozens is going to make the team and maybe push someone to the third line.  

I don’t see Casey cracking this line up.  Looking at the bottom 6.   I don’t see him beating out Eakin.  Lazar has value on PK and face offs and will out work him.   Rieder is going to push for time on PK and has the defensive reliability that Ralph values.  Girgs and Okposso are there.  

The Sabres staff is high on Tage right now.  He got himself stronger and is more likely to breakout than Mitts.  

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...