Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

TP/KP are meddlers extraordinaire and they certainly feel they are more intelligent than everyone in hockey. If the league offered some advice because you are clueless and you take their advice its still your hire. You can’t now try and shift the blame from yourself. You made the decision to hire them regardless of who gave you the advise. You’re the owner. OWN IT. Is there a more incompetent ownership ‘ couple ‘ in hockey ? In all of sport ?

Edited by bunomatic
  • Like (+1) 6

My feeling? I really have trouble caring about hockey anymore. 

I wanted JBot gone, but this is beyond absurd. 

This team has almost no signed roster, missed a 24 team playoff format, has a weak prospect pool and very little of value to trade for upgrades and they hire a totally green GM to do what exactly???? In the absolute best case scenario he doesn't get too badly fleeced in any deal he manages to make, drafts extremely well (or lucky) and takes 3-4 years to build up a team worth watching. In the worst he flounders like all the other lost rookie bargain basement GMs causing Eichel and/or anyone else worth anything left to demand a trade and it's start all over again after 11 or 12 years of ineptitude.

What I believe is we have an owner who is clueless and just listens to his wife who knows nothing but thinks she knows everything. Adams is nothing but a cheap loyal yes man and so he gets the job to follow her "vision."  An owner who has also been hit hard financially with the drop in fracking demand and the immediate other team losses who is thus a believer in a "leaner" team structure which translates as cost cutting across the board. While most of us believed a hockey Czar of some sort should have been hired in addition to what we had we will instead be sold an ideology that somehow less is more. 

This team likely sits idle for about a year. A perfect opportunity to put it in the hands of an experienced no nonsense boss. Instead, another moment blown, another green GM who is somehow expected to make gold out of coal and more smashed sticks from Jack Eichel. On the bright side, Melody Martin should give us some fine entertaining songs. 

Death of a franchise. 

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

My feeling? I really have trouble caring about hockey anymore. 

I wanted JBot gone, but this is beyond absurd. 

This team has almost no signed roster, missed a 24 team playoff format, has a weak prospect pool and very little of value to trade for upgrades and they hire a totally green GM to do what exactly???? In the absolute best case scenario he doesn't get too badly fleeced in any deal he manages to make, drafts extremely well (or lucky) and takes 3-4 years to build up a team worth watching. In the worst he flounders like all the other lost rookie bargain basement GMs causing Eichel and/or anyone else worth anything left to demand a trade and it's start all over again after 11 or 12 years of ineptitude.

What I believe is we have an owner who is clueless and just listens to his wife who knows nothing but thinks she knows everything. Adams is nothing but a cheap loyal yes man and so he gets the job to follow her "vision."  An owner who has also been hit hard financially with the drop in fracking demand and the immediate other team losses who is thus a believer in a "leaner" team structure which translates as cost cutting across the board. While most of us believed a hockey Czar of some sort should have been hired in addition to what we had we will instead be sold an ideology that somehow less is more. 

This team likely sits idle for about a year. A perfect opportunity to put it in the hands of an experienced no nonsense boss. Instead, another moment blown, another green GM who is somehow expected to make gold out of coal and more smashed sticks from Jack Eichel. On the bright side, Melody Martin should give us some fine entertaining songs. 

Death of a franchise. 

Boomer Gordon and his co-host on SiriusXM NHL Network Radio both thought that JBot should have been given another year or two. They said that 3 years is not enough time for GMs to get the job done. They also seemed to have some really negative vibes about how the Pegulas are running the franchise.

If I understand everyone here correctly, Terry and Kim are in way over their heads. Hence the reason for the recent Craigslist ad - and rightfully so!

Edited by Crosschecking
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From Friedman 31 Thoughts Podcast, the Pegulas felt the hockey people they were recommended to them let them down and they are going in the opposite direction by hiring non NHL people. Gulp.

Mentioned two candidates to round out the FO Dudley and Scott Luce. 

Just listened to this.  To clarify, the Dudley and Luce candidates were Friedman spitballing, not rumors that he had heard.  Before anyone gets too excited.

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

31 Thoughts. 

Again, I don't have a problem getting rid of people, but they don't have anyone with GM experience making the decisions or fixing this going forward. If they had introduced a Mike Gillis as GM or something, then I get it. I guess I owe Adams a chances so we will see what is going to happen. There are a ton of holes now and basically if they add ppl back they have a lot of places to change what was going on. 

Chris Taylor being fired is baffling. 

Edited by LGR4GM

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From Friedman 31 Thoughts Podcast, the Pegulas felt the hockey people they were recommended to them let them down and they are going in the opposite direction by hiring non NHL people. Gulp.

Listening to this is terrifying. It sounds like they feel tricked by NHL ppl and they want ppl within their bubble because of trust. IMPO that creates a feedback loop and group think. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Listening to this is terrifying. It sounds like they feel tricked by NHL ppl and they want ppl within their bubble because of trust. IMPO that creates a feedback loop and group think. 

That's exactly what happened. 

Remember when they addressed the employees at One Bills Drive, and they all walked away depressed? Starting to see why

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, Adams just said he "really believes in analytics. We want to play fast and have the puck." 

I was thinking of you when he said it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Maybe when Pilut went Adams went to the Pegulas and said "WTF!?" 

I mean, I don't really think Pilut was that good, but I just had a hunch that after all the gnashing of teeth on Sabres Twitter yesterday about Adams that he was going to come out and preach analytics and Sabres Twitter would do an immediate about-face and become his greatest acolytes.

Adams is interesting. The restructuring he was talking about makes more sense than the garbled answers we got yesterday. Sounds like Adams wants to talk to Krueger today and understand why the away and home records were so different and why the team failed. Adams mentioned Kevin Nightengale and how he is really smart. I got the impression that Kevin was ignored at times or there was a disconnect between scouting and analytics (which we know, see Frolic). 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Boomer Gordon and his co-host on SiriusXM NHL Network Radio both thought that JBot should have been given another year or two. They said that 3 years is not enough time for GMs to get the job done. They also seemed to have some really negative vibes about how the Pegulas are running the franchise.

If I understand everyone here correctly, Terry and Kim are in way over their heads. Hence the reason for the recent Craigslist ad - and rightfully so!

Respectfully, people who cover entire sports like this dont have a clue what they're talking about.

Jason thought each of his three teams would be 15-20 points better than they were. He was going nowhere fast and this is a critical offseason. Whoever boomer Gordon is, he has about a tenth of the sabre knowledge that the least knowledgable sabrespace poster has

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I mean, I don't really think Pilut was that good, but I just had a hunch that after all the gnashing of teeth on Sabres Twitter yesterday about Adams that he was going to come out and preach analytics and Sabres Twitter would do an immediate about-face and become his greatest acolytes.

Probably. I am not doing that. I have tried to temper my shock and lack of trust with the fact that idk what Adams will do. Adams could be good if he actually forces the analytics and scouting to work together. Idk, this is uncharted territory post purge. 30 ppl went out the door. 

• Like (+1) 1