2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

Sorry, I guess Crawford would have been an interesting add but I wouldn't say he was much of an upgrade. Maybe a tandem with Ullmark would have been, so really I guess Crawford is the only one I wish we had gotten. That said there are multiple other teams bidding on players so ...

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Linus Ullmark - .915sv%

I added their last season save percentages. 3 of those goalies would not have been upgrades. 1 of them got a 6 year deal so hell no. Khudobin is interesting and I could agree he might have been someone to target but maybe he didn't want to come or be in a rotation with Ullmark. That leaves Murray who either had a down year last year or we should avoid like the plague. At the end of the day that leaves 2 options that we would want and Matt Murray is removed since he was traded for and clearly signing with that team so you are mad we didn't get Khudobin. 

I think we both know that save % can be greatly influenced by the D in front of the goaltender.  Murray and Markstrom were clear overpayments given the environment, but at their best (Murray is still so young and will rebound) would have been upgrades, but I agree the cost wasn't worth it.

As I noted above Crawford would have been perfect, plus he's have added playoff leadership and experience.

Holtby has slipped in recent years, but likely would have been good in a tandem role.  I think the competition with UIlmark would have done both guys some good.  Also a good locker room guy who would have added playoff leadership and experience like Crawford.

Don't forget we are trying to upgrade Hutton and the position overall not Ullmark, as Ullmark wasn't really the problem.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think we both know that save % can be greatly influenced by the D in front of the goaltender.  Murray and Markstrom were clear overpayments given the environment, but at their best (Murray is still so young and will rebound) would have been upgrades, but I agree the cost wasn't worth it.

As I noted above Crawford would have been perfect, plus he's have added playoff leadership and experience.

Holtby has slipped in recent years, but likely would have been good in a tandem role.  I think the competition with UIlmark would have done both guys some good.  Also a good locker room guy who would have added playoff leadership and experience like Crawford.

Don't forget we are trying to upgrade Hutton and the position overall not Ullmark, as Ullmark wasn't really the problem.

Only player on that entire list making backup money is Lundqvist. I suppose the 2 in the 3mil range might fall into that. 

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I too would've been happy with Crawford or Holtby at the contracts they got.

Wasn't Crawford on the injured list a lot the past 3 years. They may have shied away from him not because of the contract or ability but they couldn't trust him to stay healthy and be there when they needed him.

9 minutes ago, jsb said:

Wasn't Crawford on the injured list a lot the past 3 years. They may have shied away from him not because of the contract or ability but they couldn't trust him to stay healthy and be there when they needed him.

Spin would have that reasoning.

Just now, jsb said:

Ah yes, we want the Bogosian of netminders. We just closed down one bunker do we really want to build another??

Are you working for the Sabres? Really this is beginning to look like 1)absolutely no one wants to come here or 2) We decided this team will turn the corner and we'll stick with the present squad.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

Are you working for the Sabres? Really this is beginning to look like 1)absolutely no one wants to come here or 2) We decided this team will turn the corner and we'll stick with the present squad.

Eric Staal came here. 

There's tons of UFA forwards left. Basically all of them. 

1 minute ago, Radar said:

I want them to do something as badly as you do, I just prefer to have some patience until the offseason is done. It's too early to overly panic. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Eric Staal came here. 

There's tons of UFA forwards left. Basically all of them. 

Stall traded to us because of a misstep on his ntc. Don't think he chose to come here. As to other forwards we'll see. I'll be happy and shocked if any of the impact guys will be here. It's the only slim hope left I would think.

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Staal only had one other choice...retire. 

Thanks. Beat me to it.

Edited by Radar

14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Staal only had one other choice...retire. 

yup and he didn't

So... did we not trade for Staal then? Is he not on the team? Is it not an upgrade?

13 minutes ago, Radar said:

Stall traded to us because of a misstep on his ntc. Don't think he chose to come here. As to other forwards we'll see. I'll be happy and shocked if any of the impact guys will be here. It's the only slim hope left I would think.

Thanks. Beat me to it.

This is just so boring. It is boring because it gets proven untrue over and over and over and over. Players come here and waive NTC and pick here in UFA all the time. 

20 minutes ago, jsb said:

I want them to do something as badly as you do, I just prefer to have some patience until the offseason is done. It's too early to overly panic. 

Exactly. 

• Like (+1) 1

Jeff Skinner waived to come to Buffalo

Frolic waived to come to Buffalo

Okposo signed here as a UFA

Hutton signed here as a UFA

it happens all the time, every year. We just sit in our Sabres bubble and see another team sign someone and go all lord of flies. There's 30 other teams, you aren't getting 70% of the players you want and it isn't as simple is "Buffalo sucks". 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

it happens all the time, every year. We just sit in our Sabres bubble and see another team sign someone and go all lord of flies. There's 30 other teams, you aren't getting 70% of the players you want and it isn't as simple is "Buffalo sucks". 

Not sure panic is appropriate here. Doubt maybe. I did not say no one would come here but it seems to me there have been many reports that Buffalo is not a popular destination, that we have to pay a premium to get players. Now we can choose to believe it's " fake news" or accept it. Most top tier players want to win. Next location. Maybe family has something to say about where we want to live. My honest belief is we are not that attractive but we're not he only ones but I'd guess we're top ten anyway.

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It happens all the time, every year. We just sit in our Sabres bubble and see another team sign someone and go all lord of flies. There's 30 other teams, you aren't getting 70% of the players you want and it isn't as simple is "Buffalo sucks". 

Remember this next time you go on one of your draft rants because they didn’t take the player you wanted. 😂😂😂

Edited by LabattBlue

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So thats 4 in how many years?

How well did Frolic work out?

Okposo signed one of the biggest contracts at the time to come here I believe

And Hutton was exactly a player in high demand at the time considering he only had 1-2 good years in his career where he played more then half a season

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I dont think we are looking for a backup but for a 1B.  With the compressed schedule next year we need two good goalies.  

They are definietely looking for someone to tandem with Linus, not just a backup goalie

45 minutes ago, Radar said:

Not sure panic is appropriate here. Doubt maybe. I did not say no one would come here but it seems to me there have been many reports that Buffalo is not a popular destination, that we have to pay a premium to get players. Now we can choose to believe it's " fake news" or accept it. Most top tier players want to win. Next location. Maybe family has something to say about where we want to live. My honest belief is we are not that attractive but we're not he only ones but I'd guess we're top ten anyway.

There are plenty of places that are not popular destinations. The west coast is a popular location for many players while many players prefer to play in eastern cities.   You may be surprised but for some players who grew up around the Toronto area Buffalo is a good location because it is not far from their family and friends. Skinner is an example of that. Hockey is a business that entails a lot of player movement. It's simply the nature of the business. The reality is that the most important influence where a person signs is the size of the contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There are plenty of places that are not popular destinations. The west coast is a popular location for many players while many players prefer to play in eastern cities.   You may be surprised but for some players who grew up around the Toronto area Buffalo is a good location because it is not far from their family and friends. Skinner is an example of that. Hockey is a business that entails a lot of player movement. It's simply the nature of the business. The reality is that the most important influence where a person signs is the size of the contract. 

I agree. There are more than just us. Also our proximity to Toronto can help in some cases. $$$ definitely. But is Terry backing away from big spending? Guess we're going to know more over next week.

20 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Perhaps Adams is playing the long game with intentions to force Vegas to give up more to take MAF off their hands in return for Hutton or making a trade with Vancouver who keeps striking out on Dmen?

Maybe Adams was in on some of these players who have signed. Maybe he's still in on those who haven't.

Maybe he's taking the Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend off to to enjoy a cozy fire up at the lakehouse.

35 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Perhaps Adams is playing the long game with intentions to force Vegas to give up more to take MAF off their hands in return for Hutton or making a trade with Vancouver who keeps striking out on Dmen?

Am not convinced that Hutton will definitely be gone.  Could very well see the Sabres keep him & put him in Ra-cha-cha so if either of the top 2 guys get hurt the season isn't totally wrecked like it was last year.

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Am not convinced that Hutton will definitely be gone.  Could very well see the Sabres keep him & put him in Ra-cha-cha so if either of the top 2 guys get hurt the season isn't totally wrecked like it was last year.

As of right now he is the backup.  Not feeling confident about that with the compressed schedule next season.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As of right now he is the backup.  Not feeling confident about that with the compressed schedule next season.

Pretty sure there isn't a person with a rooting or personal interest in the Sabres (other than Hutton & his immediate family) that want him to be pencilled in at 1 or 2 on the depth chart.

But many here expect him gone.  Not convinced that sentiment is correct as could see several scenarios where he is the 3.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.