GDT:Buffalo at Columbus. 9/17/19 7pm Streaming at Sabres.com WGR

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I do too, I'm just not super optimistic about what that "more" is going to be. 

I think a lot is going to depend on players like Olofsson making the jump and how much room we have to bury players in Rochester. We're very limited by cap space right now. Next season they can go nuts because so many forwards come off the books. But it's a little more complex right now.

If Botterill can get a player or two back in trades that are on RFA deals that could get us through the year. I just don't know what a guy like Risto really gets you for the cap relief he provides. 

The first week of October could be real weird.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

If the Sabres trade Risto and waive a guy like Sobotka you free up 6.425 in cap. Waive Okposo and you get another 1.025. There are ways to make some space right now. Maybe just enough to field a better team. 

And this is what good teams do. Find a way. Legal, illegal, gray area or just abusing the rules, good teams don't have issues paying everyone. The Leafs are gonna laugh all the way to the conference final putting a slew of players on LTIR. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Over reactions to a meaningless preseason hockey game or what? Some of you definitely are going to give yourselves heart attacks and/or ulcers. Don't get your blood pressure up until at least October 3rd.

As for Mitts, I'm going to say it again. He still looks better than Sam did at this point in his development. 

Sam had come off a rookie year (equivalent with respect to his draft year) where he scored 11 more goals than Casey and 18 more points, looking better shift in and shift out despite way less time in the offensive zone, and with every other stat and metric in existence heavily favoring him over Casey. 

The bold isn't even close to being true.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

And this is what good teams do. Find a way. Legal, illegal, gray area or just abusing the rules, good teams don't have issues paying everyone. The Leafs are gonna laugh all the way to the conference final putting a slew of players on LTIR. 

Yup. And I expect the Sabres will do it too if things shake out right. There are a lot of parts still moving with teams in camp and preseason now doing evaluation. I mean, we just found out Byfuglien might retire and it's already mid September. That could be a huge catalyst in a week or two.

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yup. And I expect the Sabres will do it too if things shake out right. There are a lot of parts still moving with teams in camp and preseason now doing evaluation. I mean, we just found out Byfuglien might retire and it's already mid September. That could be a huge catalyst in a week or two.

Is this just based off of his leave of absence or did I miss more reporting? 

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Is this just based off of his leave of absence or did I miss more reporting? 

There was other stuff mentioned about him "losing his love for the game". He sounds tired. I think retirement is a real possibility. It would explain why nothing has happened with the Jets yet. They might have known all summer.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

There was other stuff mentioned about him "losing his love for the game". He sounds tired. I think retirement is a real possibility. It would explain why nothing has happened with the Jets yet. They might have known all summer.

Just saw it in the other thread, thanks though! 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

As for Mitts, I'm going to say it again. He still looks better than Sam did at this point in his development. 

This is objectively false.

Sam was coming off a 23-goal, 42-point season and there was no question he was one of our top six forwards.

4 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Looking at the box score.  Important question: who the ***** is Jean-Sebastien Dea?

And why was he on the power play?

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

"We've been practicing without any respect for the games."  I wish someone would have followed up on this. It is the only really interesting part of the interview. 

Ralph has divided camp into three segments:

1) Introduce culture and systems (his words)

2) Evaluate determine lineup (my opinion)

3) Prepare for season (my opinion)

Its not like there isn’t some overlap, but the whole “this is your job against this opponent” game preparation aspect has been on the back burner so far.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sam had come off a rookie year (equivalent with respect to his draft year) where he scored 11 more goals than Casey and 18 more points, looking better shift in and shift out despite way less time in the offensive zone, and with every other stat and metric in existence heavily favoring him over Casey. 

The bold isn't even close to being true.

Yeah, I don’t get how anyone can say Casey is ahead of Sam at the beginning of year 2.  Sam played well on the wing year 1 and showed improvement in training camp.  Goals and assists aside,Does anyone think Casey had a good rookie year?  He looked overmatched way more often than not, whereas Sam looked like he fit in, albeit in a different role than expected.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is objectively false.

Sam was coming off a 23-goal, 42-point season and there was no question he was one of our top six forwards.

And why was he on the power play?

Ralph has divided camp into three segments:

1) Introduce culture and systems (his words)

2) Evaluate determine lineup (my opinion)

3) Prepare for season (my opinion)

Its not like there isn’t some overlap, but the whole “this is your job against this opponent” game preparation aspect has been on the back burner so far.

Bingo.

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yeah, I don’t get how anyone can say Casey is ahead of Sam at the beginning of year 2.  Sam played well on the wing year 1 and showed improvement in training camp.  Goals and assists aside,Does anyone think Casey had a good rookie year?  He looked overmatched way more often than not, whereas Sam looked like he fit in, albeit in a different role than expected.

And they each played their first post-draft season outside the NHL, so their seasons line up with respect to their development too, so Casey doesn't even have the excuse of fewer seasons of prep in lower leagues.

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

It is just the same old story of Reinhart isn't good. If you remember back to the summer btw year 1 and year 2 for Sam people were as down if not more than they are on Mitts. That is where Sam Reinhart will be fine came from. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It is just the same old story of Reinhart isn't good. If you remember back to the summer btw year 1 and year 2 for Sam people were as down if not more than they are on Mitts. That is where Sam Reinhart will be fine came from. 

I dunno.  Alot of Sam will be fine seemed to me to come from the idea that he will develop into our #2 center.  I didn’t see the criticism of Sam as criticism of his likely value as a developed player as much as concern that he wasn’t going to the the center we expected on draft day.

Then again, that was my point I was defending anyway.  There was considerable resistance to the idea that Sam might not be best suited for center.

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll admit to being part of that.  if Samson is the baseline for a Sabre showing signs of improvement/development, then Mitts doesn't belong in the league.

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Bogosian would be the perfect candidate for this.  One thing you cannot criticize him for in previous years is his conditioning level. An Instagram Picture from Late August showed him with more of a Dad Bod, meaning he probably wasn’t able to workout much if at all. Couple that with Krueger saying there is no time table for his return to on ice workouts. The Sabres have a huge justification to place him on LTIR. 

6 hours ago, inkman said:

But to continually dwell on it, reference it, harp on it, cry about it is nauseating. Is this how everyone lives their life?  Go back into old work places and give em the ol "You guys screwed up" or go to an ex's house and tell her she "your better than her new bf."  

It's turned into a mental disorder for some of you. This fan base has issues. People still referencing Drury and Briere, the stupid 4 first rounders for Vanek, anything to do with Kozlov, drafting Brad May over Keith Tkachuk. It never ends. I think the only thing that will cure anyone is a Cup. 

Bolded is ridiculous at best. 

As for the rest, the “ignore” button is around here somewhere if ya need it 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.