Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think any trade that swaps Sam for Laine doesn't upgrade anything.  If it goes well, you've changed the skillsets but haven't addressed any holes. And the trade brings non-insignificant risk given the trend in Laine's performance

Risto for Laine I'd do.  Keep Sam.  Add another high end talent at forward.  Move a player from a position of depth.  Now you are looking at the kind of depth at wing that make Casey at 3C a dangerous line.

I'm still of the belief Reinhart can excel as a center if given "proper" wingers.  This flexibility gives him more value than Laine in the long run, and I would prefer if JB targeted Ehlers.  Reinhart has been a good soldier during the dark times, and I would like to see him succeed as a Sabre.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think any trade that swaps Sam for Laine doesn't upgrade anything.  If it goes well, you've changed the skillsets but haven't addressed any holes. And the trade brings non-insignificant risk given the trend in Laine's performance

Risto for Laine I'd do.  Keep Sam.  Add another high end talent at forward.  Move a player from a position of depth.  Now you are looking at the kind of depth at wing that make Casey at 3C a dangerous line.

I do Risto for Laine in the context of no other top six forwards being available.

A much more attractive conversation starter: Risto and anything they want not named Sam/Jeff/Jack for Matt Tkachuk. Flames have a lot of young D and a cap crunch. I have heard nothing, but I don’t expect Tkachuk to be an easy signing.

Under discussed partners:

Vegas, who is lining up a right D of Schmidt, Holden and Engelland, with the latter two in contract years.

Coyotes, with three expensive and fading old geezers on their right side.

Colorado has two good RD, but only two period. Their LD suck.

Dallas is built to win now and has only Klingberg worth discussing on the right side.

Nashville has not replaced P.K. Subban.

Anyone see any fits with those teams from our side?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Suggested to me off-line by another Sabrespace poster:  Risto and Reino for Laine.

Who says no?

I think Winnipeg says no.

I know it subtracts the Sabres' best RW and best trade chip for an upgrade at #1 RW -- but holy mackerel that top line the Sabres would have.

Nope, not even a little bit. I have zero interest in moving Reinhart. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I do Risto for Laine in the context of no other top six forwards being available.

A much more attractive conversation starter: Risto and anything they want not named Sam/Jeff/Jack for Matt Tkachuk. Flames have a lot of young D and a cap crunch. I have heard nothing, but I don’t expect Tkachuk to be an easy signing.

Vegas, who is lining up a right D of Schmidt, Holden and Engelland, with the latter two in contract years.

Dallas is built to win now and has only Klingberg worth discussing on the right side.

Tkachuk would instantly be my favorite Sabre. Sign me up. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not saying they're right to do so, but the Avs are basically ready for Rosen, Makar, Timmins and Byram(not this year) to jump in, and I don't know that they're interested in another NHL player. In particular, Makar was excellent in the playoffs, and At least one of Rosen or Timmins is likely ready. Not sure their handedness, but with Girard, EJ, and Zadorov, and vets like Cole, they're pretty full and content I think, even if there will be rough patches early. 

21 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Suggested to me off-line by another Sabrespace poster:  Risto and Reino for Laine.

Who says no?

I think Winnipeg says no.

I know it subtracts the Sabres' best RW and best trade chip for an upgrade at #1 RW -- but holy mackerel that top line the Sabres would have.

I don’t think I would trade Reino for Laine.

• Like (+1) 1

Just caught the last segment of Jbot on the Instigators and a few things caught my attention.

1) He expects Mitts to take a big step this year and plans to surround him with 2 of Vesey Johansson or Reinhart.

2) Vesey was acquired because he drives to the net to score

3) Marcus Johansson was acquired because of his puck possession skills and his playoff experience and leadership.

4) Willing to send anyone to the minors if they lose their jobs to kids in camp.

5) Had conversations with Risto about his role and minutes going forward. Said he plays best when he plays against tough competition and effectiveness drops in the 3rd period because of to many minutes.

6) Miller, Montour and Jokiharju were acquired because they skate well and get the puck out of the zone quickly.  They make a great first pass.

7) Reinhart is vastly improved and he expects that to continue to show this coming season.

Conclusions.

I am not longer expecting a big trade between now and camp. His comments about Risto and Mitts seem to say that Risto is staying and Mitts is the No 2 center. Sorry.  Obviously the right deal comes along he’ll likely take it, but right now Risto is staying.  He did imply he is still trying to improve the wingers. 

I think he is content to keep the current group and allow the 33 possible skaters to battle it out for the 20-21 slots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just caught the last segment of Jbot on the Instigators and a few things caught my attention.

1) He expects Mitts to take a big step this year and plans to surround him with 2 of Vesey Johansson or Reinhart.

3) Marcus Johansson was acquired because of his puck possession skills and his playoff experience and leadership.

4) Willing to send anyone to the minors if they lose their jobs to kids in camp.

5) Had conversations with Risto about his role and minutes going forward. Said he plays best when he plays against tough competition and effectiveness drops in the 3rd period because of to many minutes.

6) Miller, Montour and Jokiharju were acquired because they skate well and get the puck out of the zone quickly.  They make a great first pass.

7) Reinhart is vastly improved and he expects that to continue to show this coming season.

Conclusions.

I am not longer expecting a big trade between now and camp. His comments about Risto and Mitts seem to say that Risto is staying and Mitts is the No 2 center. Sorry.  Obviously the right deal comes along he’ll likely take it, but right now Risto is staying.  He did imply he is still trying to improve the wingers. 

I think he is content to keep the current group and allow the 33 possible skaters to battle it out for the 20-21 slots.

First bold: Yuck - that's a pretty fundamental violation of what I would consider good general managing 

Second bold: Botterill has routinely done the opposite of what he's said in interviews about this stuff, because why would he telegraph his mindset and moves for free? No reason to draw conclusions like that from a WGR interview.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Conclusions.

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

First bold: Yuck - that's a pretty fundamental violation of what I would consider good general managing 

Second bold: Botterill has routinely done the opposite of what he's said in interviews about this stuff, because why would he telegraph his mindset and moves for free? No reason to draw conclusions like that from a WGR interview.

I am fully aware that he could be laying a false trial which is why I said he’d take the right deal.  He is making it very clear to us the fans and to other GMs that he doesn’t have to do anything and he is right to say it.  He is over-signed by one player and only $1 mill over the cap.  One player cut gets him to the cap and a full roster.

This means he can wait for only the right deals. I have zero problem with this.  My conclusion that no deal is imminent is not only from his comments, but from my analysis regarding the cap situation and the number of key RFAs still unsigned around the league.  Most teams aren’t in a position to deal right now and therefore there is no market for guys like Risto or Scandella right now.  It’s wait and see time.

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yes and yes.

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Pretty sure we're over the cap as it is right now, there has to be moves coming. Not too mention there's like 5 $7M+ RFAs out there that have to be signed

He implied that he will cut veterans,  but also, see @Randall Flagg‘s second point above.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Yeah he's the same GM that claimed Housley's job was safe and then canned him 24 hours later

He’s also the GM that acquired Sheary to be Jack’s wing man because of his experience playing with Sid and then traded for Skinner a few weeks later. 

I think jbot’s comments today are accurate as of today, but I like that he is flexible when things change.  If someone offers him a 2nd line center tomorrow for Risto, I have no doubt he’ll take the deal, but that won’t change his expectation that Mitts will step up this season.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He’s also the GM that acquired Sheary to be Jack’s wing man because of his experience playing with Sid and then traded for Skinner a few weeks later. 

I think jbot’s comments today are accurate as of today, but I like that he is flexible when things change.  If someone offers him a 2nd line center tomorrow for Risto, I have no doubt he’ll take the deal, but that won’t change his expectation that Mitts will step up this season.

This.

He’s being relatively honest as things stand today, because he may have to stick with the way things stand today.

But there is a whole lot he’s not telling.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Conclusions.

So, can we take #1 to mean that the 2nd line will be Sheary - Rodrigues (or new guy via Skinneresque trade) -Reinhart and the 3rd line is Johansson -  Mittelstadt - Vesey?

Please?  Pretty ####ing please? (And having E-Rod as the 2 LW w/ New Guy C is also acceptable.)

And 5 above would appear to dash anyhohpes/expectatiins that Gardiner will be signed this off-season.

I still expect that we'll see a legit move or 2, but am not expecting any in August.

The ONLY troubling part of that interview is the implication that Botterill is expecting Mitts to be good at 2C THIS season.  He could be right, but wouldn't even want so much as a beer riding on that bet; yet he'll be placing the entire season on it barring a further move or E-Rod outperforming him in camp.

Guess we don't have to budget playoff tickets once again.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, can we take #1 to mean that the 2nd line will be Sheary - Rodrigues (or new guy via Skinneresque trade) -Reinhart and the 3rd line is Johansson -  Mittelstadt - Vesey?

Please?  Pretty ####ing please? (And having E-Rod as the 2 LW w/ New Guy C is also acceptable.)

And 5 above would appear to dash anyhohpes/expectatiins that Gardiner will be signed this off-season.

I still expect that we'll see a legit move or 2, but am not expecting any in August.

The ONLY troubling part of that interview is the implication that Botterill is expecting Mitts to be good at 2C THIS season.  He could be right, but wouldn't even want so much as a beer riding on that bet; yet he'll be placing the entire season on it barring a further move or E-Rod outperforming him in camp.

Guess we don't have to budget playoff tickets once again.

After listening to the interview, I’m not sure Botterill is counting on Mittelstadt to take a big step, as much as he is challenging him to take a big step. The subject of 2C never came up,

The context was about bringing in players not only for competition, but for support - creating situations that will make it easier for players to succeed if they are willing to take advantage.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

After listening to the interview, I’m not sure Botterill is counting on Mittelstadt to take a big step, as much as he is challenging him to take a big step. The subject of 2C never came up,

The context was about bringing in players not only for competition, but for support - creating situations that will make it easier for players to succeed if they are willing to take advantage.

Hoping that take is correct.  REALLY not liking the idea of forcing Mittelstadt into the 2C role.

• Like (+1) 2

I didn't hear the interview but challenging Mitts to take a big step this season does not equal him being cool with Mitts as 2C.  No matter where he is lined up Mitts is being counted on as a big part of the future and he NEEDS to step up.  I think the best opportunity for that is bringing in a 2C and allowing him to develop on the third line with less pressure.  I still think a decent trade is coming but as others have mentioned it won't surprise me if it comes in September.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think that is a fair interpretation of what he said except he said he was supporting Mitts with Reinhart and Johansson or Vesey and this implies the 2c role.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.