2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

Any chance Bobby Brink is there for us at 30? How about Jakob Pelletier? Nils Hoglander?

I might be leery about taking Caufield at 7, but that’s because there are more rounded players available; I have no issues with small skilled guys, especially when they are gamers.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I might be leery about taking Caufield at 7, but that’s because there are more rounded players available; I have no issues with small skilled guys, especially when they are gamers.

I dunno, aren't we small and soft enough already? We need some size.

Glad to hear they interviewed Ellis. Some will say it's too high, but if he's there I'd take him with the late 1st rounder. I think he will be a really good goalie in the future and we also need many more prospects in that area imo.

2 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

All the mocks have us taking Dach or Caulfield

I would be happy with Dach.  Sky high upside.  He has the potential to be a true #1C.  6’4” excellent playmaking center with good skating and a good shot.  Having him and Eichel down the middle, plus Casey, could be something special.  I have him ranked right there with Turcotte and Byram in the 3-5 range.

2 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

We took Zegras out to dinner while he was here on top of a formal interview. 

If Zegras crashes the net more and works on his shot, he can be very very good. 

Figure Hughes, Kaapo, Turcotte and Byram will probably be gone by Seven. 

Kirby Dach with his size and skill will probably be as well. 

That leaves Peyton Krebs, Dylan Cozens, Trevor Zegras and Cole Caufield depending on what Detroit does. We know the Sabres interviewed the latter three. Wonder what direction they head in,. 

Chicago went to The Left Bank And Mulberry’s In Lackawanna with Prospects 

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Figure Hughes, Kaapo, Turcotte and Byram will probably be gone by Seven. 

Kirby Dach with his size and skill will probably be as well. 

That leaves Peyton Krebs, Dylan Cozens, Trevor Zegras and Cole Caufield depending on what Detroit does. We know the Sabres interviewed the latter three. Wonder what direction they head in,. 

Chicago went to The Left Bank And Mulberry’s In Lackawanna with Prospects 

Anything on Boldy?  His game just gives me good vibes.

• Like (+1) 1

Dach might be Joe freaking Thornton, but he just doesn’t seem like what Botterill is looking for - skating tempo-pushers. Dach slows things down. 

When I read Turcotte was told he would be our pick at 3, I believe it, because he is relentless. Zegras maybe ahead of Boldy for wheels, but both process the game at a very high level, so they make sense to me. Cozens is hard enough on the puck to fit and Pod is Dustin Brown. And  that’s why I don’t think Krebs is out of the question, because he is not dissimilar to Turcotte.

Maybe they think Dach is just too skilled to ignore - some team might that is ahead of us -  but I will be surprised if he’s our pick.

Edited by dudacek

Just watched an interview with Hughes, Turcotte, Byram, Cozens and Dach on TSN. Cozens’ mother is a lawyer while his father is a judge, hopefully he inherited a high IQ and a strong work ethic. If the Sabres take him, I will not be upset. I like him more than Dach and I find the Yukon angle to be a ‘cool’ story.

This same group will be on coach’s corner during the first intermission.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/top-nhl-prospects-bonding-over-nhl-draft-experience~1698129

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

Anything on Boldy?  His game just gives me good vibes.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Dach might be Joe freaking Thornton, but he just doesn’t seem like what Botterill is looking for - skating tempo-pushers. Dach slows things down. 

When I read Turcotte was told he would be our pick at 3, I believe it, because he is relentless. Zegras maybe ahead of Boldy for wheels, but both process the game at a very high level, so they make sense to me. Cozens is hard enough on the puck to fit and Pod is Dustin Brown. And  that’s why I don’t think Krebs is out of the question, because he is not dissimilar to Turcotte.

Maybe they think Dach is just too skilled to ignore - some team might that is ahead of us -  but I will be surprised if he’s our pick.

Boldy And Cozens seem like safe picks, but maybe not the upside of of the rest.

Zegras offers the versatility of playing Center and Wing. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Boldy And Cozens seem like safe picks, but maybe not the upside of of the rest.

Zegras offers the versatility of playing Center and Wing. 

***** name, reminds me too much of Zemgus. I'm out 

55 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve really come around on Dach lately.  I initially thought his skating was only ok and that he played pretty slow.  After watching more I think it’s mostly just an illusion caused by seeing a 6’4” guy take big long strides.  I think his skating is quite good, with very good edges.  He isn’t passive in the O-zone and does attack the defense.  He forechecks and backchecks well.  

There are guys in that 3-12 range who play with more temp (Turcotte, Newhook, Podkolzin), but I think Dach plays a similar tempo and style to Zegras and faster than Boldy.

I just see a really great package in Dach and I think he can play an up tempo game no problem.  If Buffalo passes on Dach to take Boldy, I would be disappointed.  If it was for Turcotte/Zegras/Cozens/Krebs/Podkolzin, then ok, I kind of get it.

Note: I agree on Krebs.  I like his solid all around game and leadership/motor.  I think that he could have shown more high end skill on a better team.  Turcotte is like a supercharged version of Krebs, but Krebs could be closer than I even realize.

Edited by Curtisp5286

17 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

Those people must not have noticed Botterill's track record of not drafting a single player from the CHL in the last 2 years. Especially given how many talented players there are coming from the US National Team in this draft, I'd practically bet my house that he won't be drafting Dach.

Edited by Drunkard
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Sounds like they'll take a goalie at some point.... I like this guy...

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/265409/mads-sogaard

6'7 and his name is Mads.   ***** yeah... sign me up.

Danes always have the best names. His last name has a letter with a slash through it, for Pete sake. That's metal as *****.

Edited by ubkev
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ubkev said:

Danes always have the best names. His last name has a letter with a slash through it, for Pete sake. That's metal as *****.

I presume you mean a metal alloy like steel because there are no pure metals in the periodic that are 5 letters long.  (Sorry.  Too much time in the production lab and I smell like solder.)

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

I presume you mean a metal alloy like steel because there are no pure metals in the periodic that are 5 letters long.  (Sorry.  Too much time in the production lab and I smell like solder.)

I think he means something like 5 Finger Death Punch... but you go with alloy...

• Like (+1) 1