Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

21 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Any reasons why you think that Reinhart is definitely a worse player than Johansen, Arvidsson, and Forsberg?  

To me it looks like they are all relatively close.

Reinhart has played 329 games for the Sabres. He has 85 goals and 117 assists. His +/-    -58

Forsberg has played 393 games. He has 145 goals and 157 assists. +/- +31

Johansen 281 games  50 goals 162 assists. +/-  +29

Arvidson 276 games 100 goals 84 assists +/- +38

So would I trade Reinhart for Forsberg straight up? In a heartbeat.     For Johansen? Less appealing but he is a better playmaker so yes. For Arvidson, yes. We desperately need people who can put the puck in the net. The line as a unit is better balanced though. We need another guy on that line who will carry the puck as well as Jack so he can find open spots and not have to fend of 2-3 defenders every rush. People say Jack takes nights off. Personally I think he just gets tired of being the only one carrying the load.

I know a lot of people don't put any stock in +/- any more but I still do. I think it still tells a lot about us. Incidentally, Risto worst ever currently at -145 vs. Craig Ramsey who ended +324.  A modern day Luce/Ramsey combo would be really good for this team.Heck just give me a modern day Bill Hajt. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Reinhart has played 329 games for the Sabres. He has 85 goals and 117 assists. His +/-    -58

Forsberg has played 393 games. He has 145 goals and 157 assists. +/- +31

Johansen 281 games  50 goals 162 assists. +/-  +29

Arvidson 276 games 100 goals 84 assists +/- +38

So would I trade Reinhart for Forsberg straight up? In a heartbeat.     For Johansen? Less appealing but he is a better playmaker so yes. For Arvidson, yes. We desperately need people who can put the puck in the net. The line as a unit is better balanced though. We need another guy on that line who will carry the puck as well as Jack so he can find open spots and not have to fend of 2-3 defenders every rush. People say Jack takes nights off. Personally I think he just gets tired of being the only one carrying the load.

I know a lot of people don't put any stock in +/- any more but I still do. I think it still tells a lot about us. Incidentally, Risto worst ever currently at -145 vs. Craig Ramsey who ended +324.  A modern day Luce/Ramsey combo would be really good for this team.Heck just give me a modern day Bill Hajt. 

Ok.  I thought we were talking purely about the quality of the players as opposed to how well they would fit on a line with Eichel.  Also, I was talking about the players as they are today, not looking at what they were 3-4 years ago.  Also also, I see you take Johansen because he is a better playmaker and Arvidsson because he is a better scorer, when I’m not convinced that either is as complete a player as Reinhart.  Also also also, I don’t put any stock in +/- when comparing players on different teams, it could have a small amount of value when comparing teammates though.

18 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

He’s a dead man walking.  Unfortunately another wrong hire in a list of endless bad decisions.  I’d like to take a run at The Q.  

I would like to think so and this may well be true, but look at the poll I started about his firing!  

Nearly 39% of respondents think he'll be back to start next season!

Forsberg has been a better player than Reinhart, similar skills and smarts, but with a better shot and a more assertive game. Johansen is probably as good, and the most similar, but I prefer Reinhart’s hockey sense and willingness to pay the price. Arvidsson is better goal scorer, but not close in terms of the complete package.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Forsberg has been a better player than Reinhart, similar skills and smarts, but with a better shot and a more assertive game. Johansen is probably as good, and the most similar, but I prefer Reinhart’s hockey sense and willingness to pay the price. Arvidsson is better goal scorer, but not close in terms of the complete package.

"Paying the price" is a hockey-ism that needs to go away.

This isn't the '90s and there aren't 300+ PIM enforcers in the league anymore, and very rarely, at least in regular season play, does anyone "pay a price" for getting to the net.  

That aspect of the game is mostly gone now, again, at least in the regular season.

When real hockey starts in the playoffs and injuries quickly mount, things are different.

2 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

"Paying the price" is a hockey-ism that needs to go away.

This isn't the '90s and there aren't 300+ PIM enforcers in the league anymore, and very rarely, at least in regular season play, does anyone "pay a price" for getting to the net.  

That aspect of the game is mostly gone now, again, at least in the regular season.

When real hockey starts in the playoffs and injuries quickly mount, things are different.

Standing in front of the net and getting cross checked in the back 10 times, call it what you want I guess.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Standing in front of the net and getting cross checked in the back 10 times, call it what you want I guess.

Right.  That doesn't happen very often in regular season hockey.  In the playoffs, when everything is amped up about 10,000 times, sure.

I can probably show you a goal from every game of the season where a guy scores an easy garbage goal from prime real estate and isn't touched by anyone, other than someone maybe trying to lift his stick blade.

Another hockey-ism that needs to go is "You aren't going to beat an NHL goalie if he can see the puck."

Right.  There are multiple goals scored in the manner in every single game that has multiple goals.  Goalies get beat clean 1-on-1 with no interference all the time.  Modern sticks and the number of guys with great shots allow for it.

It's usually quick snap shots or wristers from say 20 feet out and in.  You can beat an NHL goalie all day long like that if you are accurate with your shot. 

8 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Right.  That doesn't happen very often in regular season hockey.  In the playoffs, when everything is amped up about 10,000 times, sure.

I can probably show you a goal from every game of the season where a guy scores an easy garbage goal from prime real estate and isn't touched by anyone, other than someone maybe trying to lift his stick blade.

Another hockey-ism that needs to go is "You aren't going to beat an NHL goalie if he can see the puck."

Right.  There are multiple goals scored in the manner in every single game that has multiple goals.  Goalies get beat clean 1-on-1 with no interference all the time.  Modern sticks and the number of guys with great shots allow for it.

It's usually quick snap shots or wristers from say 20 feet out and in.  You can beat an NHL goalie all day long like that if you are accurate with your shot. 

I suppose I would say that’s true.  I just watched all 25 of Reinhart’s goals from 2017-18 season.  At least 20 of them were less than 10 feet from the goal.  He only got hit at all on, I believe, 4 of them.

11 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Ok.  I thought we were talking purely about the quality of the players as opposed to how well they would fit on a line with Eichel.  Also, I was talking about the players as they are today, not looking at what they were 3-4 years ago.  Also also, I see you take Johansen because he is a better playmaker and Arvidsson because he is a better scorer, when I’m not convinced that either is as complete a player as Reinhart.  Also also also, I don’t put any stock in +/- when comparing players on different teams, it could have a small amount of value when comparing teammates though.

That's the half empty half full point of difference I think we have most of all. I see him as an inbetweener and you see him as more complete. For me he's not great at either aspect just competent at both so I see him as a 2nd liner. A good 2nd liner, but a 2nd liner.   So if we were rival GMs I guess we'd have a hockey deal in the works :)

As for the +/- thing I know we lose a lot so it's hard to compare etc. but I do think the big negs for our so called top players is troubling. They allow a lot of goals when they are on the ice which says they aren't spending enough time in the offensive zone and not scoring enough 5 on 5. Whether or not they can backcheck is a whole other discussion best put aside here. They are not a line that dominates, contrary to some popular views.   I mentioned Ramsey because of his great +/- but I also think that is what this team needs. A solid line that can play up against top lines and shut them down, kill penalties and also score a little. That frees the top line from going strength against strength too, which they are failing at. I mean Ramsey Luce didn't outscore Perreault Martin, but they kept the other guys from scoring against them while they did their part. We really have nothing like that now.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's the half empty half full point of difference I think we have most of all. I see him as an inbetweener and you see him as more complete. For me he's not great at either aspect just competent at both so I see him as a 2nd liner. A good 2nd liner, but a 2nd liner.   So if we were rival GMs I guess we'd have a hockey deal in the works ?

As for the +/- thing I know we lose a lot so it's hard to compare etc. but I do think the big negs for our so called top players is troubling. They allow a lot of goals when they are on the ice which says they aren't spending enough time in the offensive zone and not scoring enough 5 on 5. Whether or not they can backcheck is a whole other discussion best put aside here. They are not a line that dominates, contrary to some popular views.   I mentioned Ramsey because of his great +/- but I also think that is what this team needs. A solid line that can play up against top lines and shut them down, kill penalties and also score a little. That frees the top line from going strength against strength too, which they are failing at. I mean Ramsey Luce didn't outscore Perreault Martin, but they kept the other guys from scoring against them while they did their part. We really have nothing like that now.  

I totally agree.  They have no top 9 quality line that they can use in defensive situations.  I think it was supposed to be Berglund, not sure how well that would have worked over the season, but he decided to check out anyway.  Sobotka is terrible, Larsson cant produce anything offensively, and Mitts is not ready for something like that.

Eichel and Reinhart were +8 and +7 respectively at the end of January, so that’s something.  This whole team completely fell apart after that.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I would like to think so and this may well be true, but look at the poll I started about his firing!  

Nearly 39% of respondents think he'll be back to start next season!

I'm one of the ones believing he's not going anywhere until maybe next November-December if they start poorly.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Radar said:

I'm one of the ones believing he's not going anywhere until maybe next November-December if they start poorly.

I think by any objective standard, he has to be fired.  Has to.  I also think he would probably have been fired before now by almost all other teams in the league.

The fact that he hasn't been fired, and may not be fired, says a lot about why we are in the situation we are in.

But I'm not going to get too worked up until maybe this time next week, if he hasn't been shown the door!

26 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I think by any objective standard, he has to be fired.  Has to.  I also think he would probably have been fired before now by almost all other teams in the league.

The fact that he hasn't been fired, and may not be fired, says a lot about why we are in the situation we are in.

But I'm not going to get too worked up until maybe this time next week, if he hasn't been shown the door!

I’m almost hoping he sticks around to watch the meltdown.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Can't question your correct objectively speaking but still feel they will not let him go this off season.

3 hours ago, bills_fan_in_raleigh said:

I didn't think brindAmour was good hire for canes nd hoped he be a disaster and now they are in the playoffs.  Housely MUST go

They're not in the playoffs because of that ugly f***.

3 hours ago, bills_fan_in_raleigh said:

I didn't think brindAmour was good hire for canes nd hoped he be a disaster and now they are in the playoffs.  Housely MUST go

They are in the playoffs because they fixed their gt not because of the coach. 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

They're not in the playoffs because of that ugly f***.

We can argue all day long about why they are in the playoffs.

What we can not argue about is whether or not Rod Brind'Amour is an ugly F***!!

Case closed!   That dude is FUGLY!

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

We can argue all day long about why they are in the playoffs.

What we can not argue about is whether or not Rod Brind'Amour is an ugly F***!!

Case closed!   That dude is FUGLY!

They have been a good possession team for several years. They finally stop having terrible goaltending