Which Sabres will take a big step BACK this season?

Ho-Chi-Sock

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Today I learned Ryan O'Reilly was the greatest hockey player of all time despite making the playoffs in 2 of his 9 NHL seasons.

Edit - with his team never winning a single playoff round. 

Yes, this is exactly what was said. I'd expect this kind of reply from Liger, not you. 

2 minutes ago, 3putt said:

I have seenisprojections of EROD in the top 6.  He is at best a 4th line player.  When it comes time to match physicality and grind with other 4th lines he is conspicuously lacking.  Nelson is a nice unexpected find for the 7/8th dman so I don't think it is a "because buffalo" thing.  Erod is not that good at the things we need him to be good at.  He is not a top 6 player.  Again, the question was asked and this is JMHO. 

The reason he gets projected to top 6 is they have Sheary at LW & then a whole lot of 3rd & 4th liners (at best).  

They have 3 guys that have shown they belongin the top 6 in the NHL.  Eichel, Reinhart, & Sheary.  One of those was playing with the best player of his generation, so it remains to be seen if he's for real or Rob Brown.  They have a rookie getting projected to the top 6 (Mittelstadt) who may not be ready & a veteran that may no longer belong there (Okposo).

Even w/ all that, at least 1 more somebody (& likely 2 somebodies) need to get slotted into the top 6.  Rodrigues isn't an ideal fit there due to his size, but he's shown as capable in that spot as Wilson or Girgensons & moreso than Baptiste IMHO.

Know what else is awesome?  Working on something for 3 hours and then losing power for that split second....you know the one where you think damn I can't remember the last time I saved this file?  Then finding out that although there is an auto-recovery you're still missing enough info that you want to stab a co-worker in the eye?  Ok, I don't want to derail this thread anymore.  I'll wait for Thursday and the appropriate thread......

I also think you and Flagg are over playing ROR to a certain extent.  He's been a pretty good player the three years he's been here.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Just now, Derrico said:

Know what else is awesome?  Working on something for 3 hours and then losing power for that split second....you know the one where you think damn I can't remember the last time I saved this file?  Then finding out that although there is an auto-recovery you're still missing enough info that you want to stab a co-worker in the eye?  Ok, I don't want to derail this thread anymore.  I'll wait for Thursday and the appropriate thread......

I also think you and Flagg are over playing ROR to a certain extent.  He's been a pretty good player the three years he's been here.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, well, with the way he's been dumped on around the trade, I don't think we're the ones whose opinions are on the extreme side of things. People legitimately think two third liners will give us more FFS. 

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Could you point out specific analyses that are inaccurate or misleading about Ryan? I'm happy to banter them and adjust as needed. 

OTOH, sorry about all the work stuff, and fully understand if you're not interested.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yes, well, with the way he's been dumped on around the trade, I don't think we're the ones whose opinions are on the extreme side of things. People legitimately think two third liners will give us more FFS. 

Even worse, people think Sobotka is a legitimate third liner ?

9 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Also, I'd bet a million bucks if you put people's takes on ROR and a trade in general before and after the trade actually happened next to each other, we'd be on the exact same course, and lots of people would be bouncing all over the place, however, if you tend to optimistically side with Buffalo on things, then that part remains constant whereas we feel less happy with Botterill and the franchise after the trade.

25 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Today I learned Ryan O'Reilly was the greatest hockey player of all time despite making the playoffs in 2 of his 9 NHL seasons.

Edit - with his team never winning a single playoff round. 

I'm on record of liking ROR a lot. Hated to see it end the way it did. Also on record saying I'm surprised we got what we did. ROR is a very good all around hockey player not an elite one.

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Could you point out specific analyses that are inaccurate or misleading about Ryan? I'm happy to banter them and adjust as needed. 

OTOH, sorry about all the work stuff, and fully understand if you're not interested.

Even worse, people think Sobotka is a legitimate third liner ?

I really would like this discussion; just not today.  Maybe within the next week or two though.  For the record, if I do engage it will not be to try and throw ROR under the bus.  I mean not to come across as thinking he was a bum now that he's been traded.  I just also think his minutes will be replaceable with 'only' a bit of a drop off. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

It's just like in the old days in Chicago, my friend.  But, instead of voting early and voting often it's save early and save often.

Take the rest of the day off, eh.

21 hours ago, Taro T said:

I'm still expecting Dahlin to play on the right side.  Probably w/ McCabe initially.

Bogosian & Guhle as the other pairing.

My guess is that Nelson is most likely to take a step back this season.

Okposo is next most likely to regress.  Hopefully wrong on that guess.

So is everyone OK going into the season with a D corps that likely looks like:

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Dahlin

Guhle - Bogosian

? (I know Flagg isn't, as he alluded to in his in depth and reasonable post)

I think it looks OK, but when we project that the 3rd pair will likely feature Guhle and Nelson instead, I start to get a little worried that Botterill has not done nearly enough to allow Dahlin a smooth transition into the league. Having a rookie, no matter how great, penciled into a top 4 role to start, with little for support on the right side outside of Ristolainen, leaves me concerned. 

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

But being a pretty good player, on this team, could mean he's a pretty great player. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Dahlin

Guhle - Bogosian

I think it looks OK, but when we project that the 3rd pair will likely feature Guhle and Nelson instead, I start to get a little worried that Botterill has not done nearly enough to allow Dahlin a smooth transition into the league. Having a rookie, no matter how great, penciled into a top 4 role to start, with little for support on the right side outside of Ristolainen, leaves me concerned. 

Do we get last year’s McCabe or the one from two years ago?

Is Dahlin mostly a 5 or mostly a 2 this year?

Is Guhle mostly a 4 or mostly a 7 this year?

Does Bogosian play? like a 3, or like a 7?

How useful are Pilut, Hunwick, Beaulieu or Nelson?

So many kids and guys who had bad seasons last year. So many questions.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Very true, and I'm just not sure Botterill left himself a very wide margin for error on the right side of the defense.

If you are one of those people who thinks handedness on the defensive side of things isn't a very big deal, maybe one looks at the added depth and is satisfied. 

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

On point #4 ... you should have stopped here ... Does Bogosian play? 

5 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't think 2 third liners will give us more FFS, I think collectively we will be better off and we get better character guys in the deal from what I'm reading on Berglund at least and Tage Thompson is another guy who could be in the top 6, he's a 6'5" power forward, I'm not saying any one of Sheary, Berglund, Sobotka or Thompson will get more individual points but I'm saying as a whole, were probably better off and the locker room may be a much better place at least I'm hoping so. I think I'd be more comfortable with a true #1 LW at this point with Sheary on line #2 which is why I was hoping for Kovalchuck so I'm not sure whats left out there but I'm sure we could entice someone with 2 first round picks in next years draft.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Dahlin

Guhle - Bogosian

Thing is, w/ Hunwick, they aren't forced to necessarily make a newbie 3rd pairing when Bogosian inevitably gets injured.  (Scarily, Housley will probably put Beaulieuinto that role when Bogosian goes down.)

54 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Thing is, w/ Hunwick, they aren't forced to necessarily make a newbie 3rd pairing when Bogosian inevitably gets injured.  (Scarily, Housley will probably put Beaulieuinto that role when Bogosian goes down.)

As long as Hunwick, as a left shot, is comfortable playing on the right. Same would go for Beaulieu as well. Or else, The are replacing Guhle, and Nelson bumps up for Bogosian. But would we really want to take Guhle out of the line-up?

Edited by Thorny

McCabe was.playing his best hockey right before he got hurt last season... he was a tire fire before that, but something clicked and he was playing his best hockey for about 2 weeks before he became crippled.

58 minutes ago, Thorny said:

As long as Hunwick, as a left shot, is comfortable playing on the right. Same would go for Beaulieu as well. Or else, The are replacing Guhle, and Nelson bumps up for Bogosian. But would we really want to take Guhle out of the line-up?

Depends how they're playing.  Could see McCabe being the odd man out if he starts this year the way he started the last w/ Nelson sliding into the lineup.

Not real certain that a 3rd pairing D-man couldn't play on his off-wing if there are 4 guys that are more comfortable on the left side.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.