Playoff Drought ULTIMATE JAG WARRIOR: Priestlay Division

Eleven

Playoff Drought ULTIMATE JAG WARRIOR: Priestlay Division  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the ultimate JAGS in this division? Top four advance to the playoffs. There will be four divisions. PLEASE VOTE FOR NO MORE THAN THREE.

• Matt Ellis
    • Jamie McBain
    • Kevin Porter
    • Luke Adam
    • Matt D'Agostini
    • Alexander Sulzer
    • TJ Brennan

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/09/2018 at 07:22 PM

There's no way to limit the number of choices, but I'm asking, to keep it fun, that everyone vote for no more than three.  Remember that a true "Just Another Guy" isn't a bad player; it's a player who's just another guy.

Edited by Eleven

II know Matt Ellis is the poster child for JAGs, but that in itself makes him a celebrity.

I’m going D'Agostini. Here and gone quickly, but a regular when he played.

No impact on the scoresheet, or in the community. Not a memorable play to be found.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

II know Matt Ellis is the poster child for JAGs, but that in itself makes him a celebrity.

I’m going D'Agostini. Here and gone quickly, but a regular when he played.

No impact on the scoresheet, or in the community. Not a memorable play to be found.

You can vote for two more if you'd like.

I should note that we're dealing with pretraumatic Luke Adam here, and not Luke Adam after Lindy Ruff attempted to behead him.

Also, when someone new votes in the poll, the poll does not get "bumped up" like it did on the older version of the site, so I'll probably bump these a couple of times per day.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

There's no way to limit the number of choices, but I'm asking, to keep it fun, that everyone vote for no more than three.  Remember that a true "Just Another Guy" isn't a bad player; it's a player who's just another guy.

I’d also add that a JAG isn’t disappointing, either. It’s why Adam is not just a guy. He had a great start to that one season and we had expectations of him to become a contributor. I think I might even remember he wore 72. 

D’Agostini. That JAG. I don’t remember him. 

Also... I love this thread concept! The Concept of JAG.

Edited by DarthEbriate

3 hours ago, 3putt said:

Matt Ellis is the quintessential JAG.  It is almost unnecessary to delve further. I voted for Matt.

Yep fits the description 1st ballot.

2nd choice for me has the be the hope that wasn't Luke Adam

1. Porter. Always had one foot in the A

2.  D’Agostini. Look up JAG in the dictionary and see his picture.

3. Sulzer. Just good enough to expect more from, only to be disappointed.

Luke and TJ were never anything more than Amerks. McBain a side note.

Old Matty though. He gave 110% every single second on ice. He deserves a better label than JAG.

20 hours ago, Eleven said:

I should note that we're dealing with pretraumatic Luke Adam here, and not Luke Adam after Lindy Ruff attempted to behead him.

I voted Luke Adam solely for this reason and the celebrity gained from the discussion surrounding it. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like (+1) 1

Matt Ellis is a shoe-in. That leaves me with two votes.

Porter was the captain in Rochester, right? He's more than just another guy, more like a disappointing uncle who can still teach you things but it comes with a cost of having to hang out with said uncle.

Luke Adam & TJ Brennan were prospects, which to me disqualifies them as JAGs as they were drafted with pedigree and hope. JAGs don't inspire hope, they inspire "nope". JAGs are brought in to staunch a leaky hole, not drafted to build a foundation.

Removing Porter, Adam and Brennan I'm left deciding to chose two of McBain, Dags, and Sulzer. Research shows that McBain somehow played in the 2011 all-star game. Can a 1 time all-star be consider a JAG? I'm not so sure, and therefore I choose Dags and Sulzer as they epitomize JAGs, in my mind.

55 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

I'm pretty sure Zemgus Girgensons is a JAG.

We drafted Zemgus in the 1st round though, and by my arbitrary metrics that disqualifies him as JAG for the Sabres. Once he's released and then signed by the Islanders or Senators he can then fulfill his prophecy as JAG. Off the top of my head I'd say he's also the longest tenured Sabres on the team, which is the opposite of JAG. A true JAG is here for a cup of coffee, or a season at best.

Matt Ellis is the exception to the rule as he is the ultimate JAG, our crown prince, if you will.

In his last 5 seasons with the Sabres (2010 - 2015) he racked up an astounding 16 points over the course of 169 games, was a -25 and averaged less than 10 minutes a game throughout that run.

A further look at his advanced stats during this time span will show you that he was not good.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:06 PM, Mustache of God said:

Matt Ellis is the exception to the rule as he is the ultimate JAG, our crown prince, if you will.

In his last 5 seasons with the Sabres (2010 - 2015) he racked up an astounding 16 points over the course of 169 games, was a -25 and averaged less than 10 minutes a game throughout that run.

A further look at his advanced stats during this time span will show you that he was not good.

I just can't. Ellis is the peak of JAGness. He's transcended JAG. It means he's more than just a guy. He's so beyond JAG because of the longevity. The stats. The love. Matty Ellis is more than just a guy. Which means he's neither a JAG, or the JAG.

D'Jagostini, please.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.