Sabres Fan in NS

3rd Place and Final Winners  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who win 3rd Place

• Belgium
    • England
  2. 2. Who wins the Final

6 hours ago, sabills said:

I know this is the NEXT world cup, but I didn't think it needed its own thread. The 2022 cup in Qatar will be in the fall/winter:
image.thumb.png.8379ab8ab474dc8febd35271060e234d.png

That has to have been the worst kept secret ever.

FIFA did not want their stars playing in 45 degree heat, so they will be playing is 30 degree heat.  And spare me with that 'it's a dry heat' nonsense.

We have Euro 2020 to deal with before WC 2022, but you can never have too many threads in this Club.  I say so, since it's my Club.  Of course, you all can play too, so long as you behave.  Speaking of which, ubkev's temp. banning will be up in time for kick off of the 3rd place match tomorrow.

Edited by N S
Grammar Police would have gotten me ...

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

Oohh.  Danny Rose just went full-Spurs on that goal.  You never go full-Spurs if you want to actually win anything... 

I thought this match was supposed to start at 1:00 PM Halifax time?

Missed the half.  Oh, well.

Lets hope Belgium goes home smiling and the Brits go home crying.

?

10 hours ago, N S said:

2 -0 now on minute 90.

See ya England!!

All joking aside.  The English should be proud of how they played in this WC.  A fourth place finish is a very good result for a side that many thought may not make it out of the group stage alive.

yeah they did great

also for the French Canadians and anyone who understands it, I'm flemish don't speak french.  But one of my childhood heroes, Phillipe albert.

Played for Newcastle back in the day with Alan shearer.   One of the great broadcasting moments in this WC.

' Il va le fair, je l'ai dit bordel, je l'ai diiiiiiiiiit' 

We Belgians are weird, but when it comes to calling a game, you can't get better than this.   And the best WC team won today no matter what happens tomorrow.

was hard to find good audio and video, but at 1:48 you can hear the him go wild for the last goal.

I typed in japan on  youtube and I got links to sex dolls to much ?

Edited by Huckleberry

Goalie caught a bad break on that 3rd goal.  He was in great position to stop the shot but tried to center himself better in the goal.  Was caught doing a Ray Emery. (Moving the wrong way.)

And now it is 4.  Sorry, NS, they can stick a fork in them now.  They're done.  :(

Sorry NS, but it had to be. ?

Actually went to a great soccer bar for this. People were chanting, big 50/50 split of who was rooting for who, everyone into it...really was awesome to find a bar like that around where I live

So, the WC is over.  I congratulate France as a very worthy champion.

That said, it is time for my usual rant.

I was very conflicted with this whole WC.  My feelings on FIFA are well known.  Where to begin? ...

Russia as host was mind numbing to start.  We have a duly elected (ah hem) President for Life, who is a gangster and thug.  The regime's domestic policies include economic oppression and international policies include invasion and occupation.  The only entity more corrupt is FIFA.

We have a finalist and champion in France where the policies of that government include outright bigotry and racism.  A country who is one of the biggest arms dealers in the world who will gladly supply anyone and everyone with enough Euros.  Shameful.  Now I am not lumping all French people in that same pile, but the support for such policies is very wide.

Then we have a finalist in Croatia who cannot, or will not, disavow their terrible past.  Now, I must say that there have been some improvements, but a vast majority of everyday Croatians still hold those feelings dear.  The small crest on the National Team jerseys are a throw back the the notoriously terrible Nazi puppet regime during WWII and also the Ultra Nationalists who rose to dominance in the late 1980s to late 1990s and are still very popular today.  These guys were so horrible in WWII that the most Nazi of the Nazis were made squirmish to see them in action and basically abandoned Croatia back then.  Again, shameful.  The Croatian flag bears this same symbol and yet the EU welcomed Croatia with open arms.  What a joke.

I basically hate everything there is about football, except the game itself.

+++++

Since the WC is over I think that this thread has basically run it's course.  I will keep it open until I log off later today.

A warm welcome to our latest member of this Club ... ChilianSeaBass.  Great to see you.

I encourage any and all members of the Club to open threads for discussion.  I started this Club, as SDS thought it would be a good one and asked me to start it.  That said, this is not my Club it is all of ours.  So far, the discussion have been great.

6 hours ago, N S said:

Then we have a finalist in Croatia who cannot, or will not, disavow their terrible past.  Now, I must say that there have been some improvements, but a vast majority of everyday Croatians still hold those feelings dear.  The small crest on the National Team jerseys are a throw back the the notoriously terrible Nazi puppet regime during WWII and also the Ultra Nationalists who rose to dominance in the late 1980s to late 1990s and are still very popular today.  These guys were so horrible in WWII that the most Nazi of the Nazis were made squirmish to see them in action and basically abandoned Croatia back then.  Again, shameful.  The Croatian flag bears this same symbol and yet the EU welcomed Croatia with open arms.  What a joke.

Can you elaborate on this? Have any links or documentation? Never heard about this

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Can you elaborate on this? Have any links or documentation? Never heard about this

Here is wiki (ya, I know ... I skimmed it and it is reasonably accurate concerning the WWII part, but has nothing on the 1980s and 1990s).  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ustashe

Take it for what it's worth.

There are many documentaries (BBC usually has good ones) available on YouTube that outline in accurate detail the demise of Yugoslavia after Tito died in 1980.  It really fell apart quickly after the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo in 1984.