Sabres Fan in NS

3rd Place and Final Winners  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who win 3rd Place

• Belgium
    • England
  2. 2. Who wins the Final

So, the semi finals are set.

France and Belgium.  I like France, but am hoping Belgium will continue their strong counter attack and win.

Also, France has won the WC and Belgium has not, so I will root for the non winner in this one.  How far has Belgium made it in a WC?  Is this their first time in the final 4?

Croatia and England in the other semi.  I like Croatia in this one.  England has won the WC before, so I will root for the non-winner in this match up too.  I like Croatia anyway.  Croatia did make the final 4 on one previous occasion.

I will add a poll.

Edited by N S
just plain old stupidity

19 hours ago, N S said:

So, the semi finals are set.

France and Belgium.  I like France, but am hoping Belgium will continue their strong counter attack and win.

Also, France has won the WC and Belgium has not, so I will root for the non winner in this one.  How far has Belgium made it in a WC?  Is this their first time in the final 4?

Croatia and England in the other semi.  I like Croatia in this one.  England has won the WC before, so I will root for the non-winner in this match up too.  I like Croatia anyway.  Croatia did make the final 4 on one previous occasion.

I will add a poll.

Looks like they came in fourth place in 1986: https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/belgium-at-the-2018-world-cup-schedule-scores-how-to-watch-eden-hazard-tv-and-live-stream-players-to-watch/

28 minutes ago, sabills said:

Thanks.

They have a pretty good track record in the WC.  4th in 1986, eh.  Yup, I remember that WC ... Mexico ... the only WC that Canada qualified for.  FIFA better not change the hosts automatic qualification thing for 2026.  That's all.

40 minutes ago, N S said:

Thanks.

They have a pretty good track record in the WC.  4th in 1986, eh.  Yup, I remember that WC ... Mexico ... the only WC that Canada qualified for.  FIFA better not change the hosts automatic qualification thing for 2026.  That's all.

But are they going to give THREE auto berths? US and Mexico SHOULD make it anyways, but obviously that's not a guarantee.

37 minutes ago, sabills said:

But are they going to give THREE auto berths? US and Mexico SHOULD make it anyways, but obviously that's not a guarantee.

That seemed to be the understanding of the folks behind the 'United' Bid.  FIFA has not said a word, but the only other time there were multiple hosts (Korea and Japan in 2002(?)) both hosts qualified automatically.

I will be somewhat surprised if FIFA ... actually, nothing from FIFA ever surprises me ... changes the auto qualification for hosts, especially since they are going to 48 qualifiers for 2026, or is it in 2022.  And, don't get me started on 2022 ... 

Edited by N S
stupidity x 3 ... ha ha

On Thursday, July 05, 2018 at 11:13 AM, Samson's Flow said:

Well that's because Russia is typically not a name we recognize as a World Cu n power team. I think they are overachieving riding the home fans energy. They were on the defensive a lot in the Spain game.

That's my thought as well. I think it is another Brazil year.

Pretty sure they got to PK's against Spain riding the ref's distaste for a Plutonium appetizer.  No way Spain shouldn't have gotten a PK in the 2nd 15.