Strength in Defense

LGR4GM

I do want to give Botterill credit for something that I think he has done a good job of. 

The Leafs just spent 11million a year on Tavares. Their best defensive prospect is Timothy Liljegren with Rasmus Sandin also in play. Sean Durzi may make it but we will have to see. There NHL defense is Reilly, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Gardiner, Carrick, Dermott. This will probably be Hainsey's last year, he's 37 and this is the last year of his deal. Only 3 of the 6 have a contract after this season. 

Buffalo just spent 10million on Jack Eichel (his contract kicks in). Their best defensive prospect is Dahlin with Guhle, Borgen, Fitzgerald, and Samuelsson in the pipeline. They also added Pilut, and Hickey although Hickey doesn't do much for me. In the pros they have Risto, Scandella, Bogo, Baloo, Hunwick, and McCabe. 2 of which are not signed after next year but both those players are RFA's. Also I think Baloo might get traded sooner rather than later.

What is the point of all of this? While we may fret over the Leafs ability to ice a very strong forward group with Tavares, Matthews, and Kadri down the middle, there defensive group is currently mediocre at best. It will be interesting to see if Botterill's attempt to shore up the defense works and turns it into a strength. Right now we can ice:

Scandella - Risto

Guhle - Dahlin

McCabe - Bogo

Nelson

We'd still have Baloo and all those guys in Rochester pushing for spots. It is nice that the barren wasteland of defense is now more of a strength. 

Edited by LGR4GM

the Leafs Achilles heel might be the defense. Generally the young guys need time to season on D. My guess is they will make a savvy trade eventually to shore it up before the playoffs. They know this. They are smart. But yes, JBOT clearly upgraded our d. I suspect we may have a top 5 contenders defense in 2-3 years with depth. The forward group is another story.

We still have a long way to go on defense. Aside from the potential of Dahlin, and a decent contribution from Risto, where is the O coming from on the back end? Baloo has not shown what it looked like he had (30points in Montreal) McCabe is ok, Scandella is alright but might be gone anyway, Nelson perhaps and maybe Guhle will contribute, but remains to be seen.

So it's too early to say we are ahead of Leafs on D, right? If the prospects turn out, that will be wonderful

We still have a long way to go on defense. Aside from the potential of Dahlin, and a decent contribution from Risto, where is the O coming from on the back end? Baloo has not shown what it looked like he had (30points in Montreal) McCabe is ok, Scandella is alright but might be gone anyway, Nelson perhaps and maybe Guhle will contribute, but remains to be seen.

So it's too early to say we are ahead of Leafs on D, right? If the prospects turn out, that will be wonderful

And the leafs have Rielly and... Rielly.

Washington had 1 defender over 30pts. Food for thought.

I like the attention the defense is getting.

Still think he needs to add an established experienced veteran to guide Dahlin along his first season or two.

Scandella, Hunwick, and Bogo. That’s half of the defensive lineup.

Ohhhh, you mean the other 60 games while Bogo is out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.