Sabres Prospect 3v3 Tourney, Season Ticket Holders Only

LGR4GM

I just went on FB for my normal once-a-week visit and a poll popped up asking me whether I thought FB was good or bad for the world.

What are they even driving at with that question? Like they really care what the answers are to that poll?

I’m not in Buffalo, but from this distance the hype seems considerably lower for Dahlin than for Eichel.

Which is interesting because I think Dahlin is a better prospect.

I think fandom is in a place of “I’ve heard this all before”. Show us.

I’m not in Buffalo, but from this distance the hype seems considerably lower for Dahlin than for Eichel.

Which is interesting because I think Dahlin is a better prospect.

I think fandom is in a place of “I’ve heard this all before”. Show us.

If they came out at the same time, in no world is Dahlin picked ahead of Eichel

If we had draft-ready McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, and Dahlin all available at the same time, the draft would be some amazing television. 

With what they did in those seasons, and without knowing a team's weaknesses, I think it would go 

McDavid easy

Eichel

Matthews

Dahlin

Where each team thinks they got an absolute steal. 

If those players were lining up, and four teams with identical situations to ours right now were picking, I think it could go 

McDavid

Dahlin
Matthews

Eichel 

It's so hard to compare Matthews' season to Jack's and Connor's. Dahlin even moreso just because of position. 

If they came out at the same time, in no world is Dahlin picked ahead of Eichel

Coming out? You're probably right, but they both tick every box.

Jack probably a slightly better athlete, but they are both elite

Similar sizes, Jack was stronger but Rasmus will probably end up bigger.

Jack is a faster, stronger skater but Rasmus has better lateral movement.

Jack definitely has a better shot, Rasmus a better touch on his passing.

And Jack gets the centre bonus point

I prefer Rasmus because he has better hockey IQ and is a better competitor.

Edited by dudacek

Coming out? You're probably right, but they both tick nearly every box.

I think we're really underestimating the hype Jack had. Also, to say Dahlin has better hockey IQ or is a better competitor is kinda absurd IMO. There's no way of knowing that, and we have 3 years of Jack bias on garbage NHL teams while predicting what Dahlin can do alternatively. Let's see what Dahlin does before saying he's smarter or more driven

And the center bonus is massive.

This sounds completely accurate. 

Jack's overall hockey IQ is fine to good, Rasmus looks to understand space like Sid/McD do. I could easily see Rasmus becoming the better NHL player, while acknowledging that Jack's pre-draft season was better.

I think Dahlin can do things at full speed with the puck that Eichel either can't or won't.

It sounds like Dahlin is obsessed with hockey, it defines him, while for Eichel hockey is just something that he does that he's very good at, but it's not the first thing he thinks about when he wakes up.

For me, the most intriguing part I've heard about Dahlin is not the skating ability, or how he processes the game, but it's how he respects the game off the ice and fully dedicates himself to the sport. I hope that rubs off on some guys and makes the team better, vs the opposite where he slacks off because he's surrounded by underachievers.

I think we're really underestimating the hype Jack had. Also, to say Dahlin has better hockey IQ or is a better competitor is kinda absurd IMO. There's no way of knowing that, and we have 3 years of Jack bias on garbage NHL teams while predicting what Dahlin can do alternatively. Let's see what Dahlin does before saying he's smarter or more driven

And the center bonus is massive.

When you say hype, you mean from real scouts, as opposed to fans, right?

Making a call on competitiveness or IQ is no more absurd than making similar calls about skating or shot.

We've all seen Jack give up on plays. We've all seen Jack struggle to find chemistry.

From what I've seen of Dahlin, giving up on plays is not in his make-up and he consistently makes the players around him look better than what they are.

Much smaller viewings, of course.

Wouldn't criticize anyone for preferring Eichel, but I don't.

Edited by dudacek

It sounds like Dahlin is obsessed with hockey, it defines him, while for Eichel hockey is just something that he does that he's very good at, but it's not the first thing he thinks about when he wakes up.

For me, the most intriguing part I've heard about Dahlin is not the skating ability, or how he processes the game, but it's how he respects the game off the ice and fully dedicates himself to the sport. I hope that rubs off on some guys and makes the team better, vs the opposite where he slacks off because he's surrounded by underachievers.

Thanks. This, exactly, is what I have been struggling to articulate about Dahlin and why I prefer him to Eichel.

Equal skill? Then give me highly motivated hockey nerds every time.

Edited by dudacek

This post seems accurate.

The bolded is very interesting. The bonus point is there, I think, in the sense that centres generally have easier development curves to predict, right? The trajectory of even top-level prospective d-men is much more difficult to pin down.

But in the hypothetical world where both the centre in question, and the d-man reach their ceiling, I’d argue the franchise D-man is even more valuable. So the centre is the safer pick, and therefore arguably the logical pick between the two. But if one is confident in the defenceman in question’s ability to develop along their ideal, or close to ideal, trajectory, you might find even better value within that risk.

On a separate note, I believe Jack to have exceptional passing ability, which would have looked even better if accompanied by competent linemates. I’ve heard much the same about Dahlin, but saying one’s is better than the other’s may be splitting hairs, this early.

Edit: It’s pretty darn neat to be having a conversation like this about, what will very likely be, 2 Sabres players.

Edited by Thorny

I think a certified #1C is more important than a #1D, but I think in the context of building a team, those are two spots you need filled either way. Build around those two players however you want, but you need those two players before you can really do anything. 

I can see offering tickets first to STH, then after a period of time opening it up to the general public. Maybe even have a mini-pack holder time period in between. 

If keeping it in HarborCenter was a hard constraint for some reason (any conflicting concerts in Key Arena for example? I haven't checked) and they really wanted to do it on those dates for some reason, then I get it. But it seems like they could have found a time that would work from a hockey and PR perspective. Would be interesting to know the rationale. 

They probably melted the ice and don't have time to freeze it before the tourney.  The arena also might not have enough summer staff to get the boards up and down before James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt on the 1st.

But I bet they could have done it if they wanted to.

BUSH LEAGUE

Edited by IKnowPhysics

They probably melted the ice and don't have time to freeze it before the tourney.  The arena also might not have enough summer staff to get the boards up and down before James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt on the 1st.

But I bet they could have done it if they wanted to.

BUSH LEAGUE

Oh right, JT and Bonnie Raitt show...I might have thought of that since I AM GOING TO IT

I got a pair of tix to the 3v3 & now both kids that wanted to go have to work Saturday. If someone in Ra-cha-cha wants them, PM me.

Seats are general admission (my guess is they all are). Cost - if we end up @ one of the Sabres Space meetups, buy me a beer. If not, don't worry about it.

I could try mailing them to someone in Buffalo but doubt they'd get there in time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.