OT: RIP Anthony Bourdain, Dead at 61

LTS

Everything from my past 20 plus years in active politics is political imo. That being said... it doesnt have to be nasty a la the news. Depression and potential suicidal thoughts and how the brain works with the complexities of society and how things such as mental illness is addressed is a tough one for political discussions because it is not something easily defined nor well understood, nor is it easily solvable. Mental illness comes with many social stigmas that many intolerant folks will look down on. I have had struggles with my own demons, especially when I was a teenager and young adult, though not as much recently. I have worked hard on not comparing myself to others and being gentle setting my own standards and reigning myself in when I get wrapped around the axle too much. The key for me is taking breaks and remembering nothing is all that important. All that is reguired is that I have a roof over my head, food on the table and some good people around me. Practicing a check of Hungry, angry, lonely or tired is a key and doing something simple to address those needs gets me me out of those funks. Meditation helps, phone calls, a good nap and remembering to pace myself really help. Good people often let me know when I am pushing too hard. Peace all :)

Edited by North Buffalo

It's a strange thing about Bourdain.  I was just always drawn to his television work.  I read a little bit about him here and there but his journalistic style was what I found compelling.  I'm no celebrity chaser (I had no idea he had a daughter) and some of the things I am reading about him now really only impress me more. I've read a considerable amount of tributes and stories over the past few days.  One of the most compelling has to be his connection to the #metoo movement.

I'd say just do a search on his last name and MeToo to see the kind of person he was... I can't find the original article, but here's one: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/06/08/how-anthony-bourdain-became-one-of-the-strongest-me-too-allies-im-reexamining-my-life/?utm_term=.72651e5e8372

He was dating Asia Argento who was harassed by Weinstein.  The story of his advocacy though is much deeper than that relationship and goes back much further.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook some negative things about Bourdain.  Culminating in that "I'm not surprised he killed himself, he's a ####."  I think a lot of people had this concept that he was like some other blowhards on travel/leisure TV shows.  Perhaps like Gordon Ramsey?  I don't know.  By accounts he was demanding to deal with but he wasn't disrespectful.  Who knows, perhaps in a few days there will be inevitable response by those who really didn't like him.

All I know is that he made some compelling television that told the story of the regular person in countries we barely ever get to hear about, even West Virginia. 

If there is one thing that Anthony Bourdain was not, it's a celebrity chef.

With every episode I watch, the more saddened I am for this loss. He really was a good writer. Every show is just a wonderful essay of the human condition, under the guise of being a foodie, with no judgement and a complete wonderment of all things different, yet the same.

With every episode I watch, the more saddened I am for this loss. He really was a good writer. Every show is just a wonderful essay of the human condition, under the guise of being a foodie, with no judgement and a complete wonderment of all things different, yet the same.

Absolutely.

Netflix also announced today they're extending Parts Unknown indefinitely.

The New York Times will have to edit his obituary. Is that a pejorative term?

As was said about him...

He was a chef, who was a celebrity, who taught people about food, without ever cooking on the air (well, he did very rarely).

He was far more a writer and speaker on today's world than he was ever a chef.  The NY Times (and others) being just as guilty as most people in only perceiving him as a chef.

As I see it, he excelled in making things that seemed distant or celebrity or glossed over much more real and tangible.  Cut through the BS, the hype, the glam, and display what is really happening.  His commentary on restaurants was certainly geared toward that and his shows emphasized every day life in any location he visited.  There were some rare "glamour" shots and such, but mostly just reality.

Geez.

May God visit him with peace.

They say when a celebrity commits suicide the rate of suicides go up 10%. Something that Boynton has done that is probably the hardest thing to do is reach out. Hopefully his family and close friends/ex team mates step up and show support which I'm sure they'll do. 

Have you watched the video in Players Tribune from Carcillo? A bit off the topic but relevant.

Yeah I've seen that. Puts a human face to the problems with concussions and head trauma. I don't know a lot about Nick Boynton or if he's had troubles with concussions but that could be the case here. He played hockey for a long time.

For a lot of these athletes I think there is a lot of regret over putting themselves through the grind.  In some cases, it's where they come from and the prospective lives they would have had without the sport success that drove them to stick with it.  The inability to accept that they would have been farmers, construction workers, etc.  In the case of some of the football athletes you are looking at falling into the traps of gangs, drugs, and other socio-economic plights.  

Sports gives some a way out of that but it comes at a great cost that they only realize after the fact.  Daily pain, shortened life spans, or as we see with those who suffered head trauma, even worse demons.

The grass is only as green as the money that sits on top of it. 

It's why I have massive respect for the NFL players who have resigned after suffering one or two concussions and just don't want to risk it.  Time will tell if it's too late for them as well.  Hockey can be violent but football is violent.

For all those who suffer, they need to be there in support of each other.  The Players' Unions need to take care of their constituents.  It should be one of its top priorities.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.